How long does a tin of chain oil last?

Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog

I got a miserly 4 chain lubes from a can of Muc-off PTFE chain lube.  I'm wondering if I'm putting too much on.  I think the standard aerosol tin is around 400ml.

How many lubes are you getting from a tin? 

Guest bonekicker

Steve me thinks you must be putting a little too much on---at this rate it would be cheaper to replace the chain every 1000 miles  :bye:

Juggler

I got a miserly 4 chain lubes from a can of Muc-off PTFE chain lube.  I'm wondering if I'm putting too much on.  I think the standard aerosol tin is around 400ml.

How many lubes are you getting from a tin? 

It depends. If it is only relube after rain/or another 1000km - the can last fro up to 8 lubes (aerosol 400ml castrol). After cleaning the chain I use twice as much lube getting the same 4 maybe 5 lubes.

Are you lubing it too much or too often?

Good indcation if you are lubing it too much/too often is a excessive oil around sprockets. Have a look and adjust your lubing.

Jeepers.  Suddenly my pro oiler doesn't seem such an extravagance!    I used to use PJ1 chain lube on my chains as at the time I thought it was good.  Now that I know better I realise that it was like warm candle wax and the stuff used to make a hell of a mess and collect inside the chaincase. Not sure how effective it was at lubing the o rings......not very I suspect. 

Spindizzy

Loobman chain oiler,cheap as chips and uses engine or gear oil which lasts ages.....   :thumbsup:

Or splash out on something a little more posh.....

ScaredyCat

I paint a nail varnish mark on my chains so it's easy to see the 'start' point for my lubing. I lube after each day, ie off to work -> back from work then lube. I manually spin the rear while spraying and do this for 2 full rotations of the chain. I get loads of lubes out of a single can of 400ml .. (not actually counted but it's a darn sight more than 4)..

Steve Blackdog

I think I probably used most of it after a big clean.  I reckon I am using too much, hence my question.  When I last took the sprocket cover off, it was very messy.

I reckon the Loobman is good value if it works.  Might consider a Tuturo or Scotoiler.

Does the Loobman system keep the chain clean as well as oiling it?

Guest Rev Light

Its does as you are using engine oil rather than the sticky stuff that comes out of the cans.  

However, clean your chain first, if it is covered in the sticky stuff.

I have fitted the Loobman, and it seems perfectly fine.  But it did not wash off the gloop I had on there from using spray cans.  I had to do that manually.

Cheers

Rev Light

Spindizzy

I think I probably used most of it after a big clean.  I reckon I am using too much, hence my question.  When I last took the sprocket cover off, it was very messy.

I reckon the Loobman is good value if it works.  Might consider a Tuturo or Scotoiler.

Does the Loobman system keep the chain clean as well as oiling it?

Mine is clean s a whistle, however bikes only done 800 miles. Used it since day one so no muck to begin with. Dont know if its relevant but no chain adjustment needed since new.

Steve, that's the only problem with the PTFE lubes.

It's difficult to see how much lube is on the chain.

I use the MucOff stuff too.

Centre stand, bike running in 1st gear and after dry use I normally give it a 5-10 sec spray, on the inside of the lower run.

After wet use I wipe the chain first then give it about 10 secs.

Probably don't need to tell you this but keep your fingers out the way!

• Like 1
Torquepen

Standard car gearbox oil is the best. Made for the job.