NC750X: 10-40w at first service?

Guest Markino

Guest Markino

Hi guys,

I've just pay for the first service interval of my NC750X 2015 (1000km) and in the invoice they wrote 4kg of Castrol 10-40W oil... I check on the user manual and Honda recommend 10-30W oil and the capacity changing the filter should be 3,4l.
The shop told me that the 10-40W is good for the bike and that the service manual that have report 10-40W... they also told me that they fill the oil with 4,1kg! 
mmmhh.... I remember that when I made by myself the oil change on the 700X it required around 3,5kg exactly the same of the user manual.
What do you think about it?

Did they change the oil filter(s) as well? I'd just check the oil level properly to make sure. It's a pain having to double check but best be safe than sorry.

I wouldn't worry about the oil viscosity as long as they have actuallly done the oil change.

Guest bonekicker

I have had services done and checked oil level when back home and found it low---I took it back and they put another 1/2 ltr of oil in ---and told me they probably did not recheck after refilling---very professional ??? did they put the brake pads back in ??  :baby:

embee

Unusual for anywhere to quote the amount of oil by weight, usually by volume. Typical oil density is around 0.8, so 4kg would be 5Lts, way too much for an NC. 3.4L would be about 2.7kg.

As for the viscosity, there was a discussion recently on this and the handbook does seem to cover the use of 10W40 in mild climates so I wouldn't worry too much about that, though if it is a franchised Honda dealer I would expect them to use the "recommended" spec. If it was a general dealer/garage they probably use 10W40 in pretty much everything, it's the most common spec for Japanese bikes.

I don't know what effect the viscosity difference might make to a DCT gearshift. There is an oil temp sensor which presumably is used to tailor the shift control to suit the oil characteristics, but having said that the nominal range of a 30 or a 40 (hot viscosity range) covers quite a wide actual viscosity range, and it does tend to change quite significantly in relatively low mileages anyway in bike engines/transmissions.