Rust & corrosion evident

usabikes

neojynx
On 08/04/2018 at 13:07, neojynx said:

I do around 800 miles a week and have ridden throughout the winter.  Every weekend I use Muc off, then spray the bike with a power washer, then hand dry it and finally finish of with ACF 50.  EVERY weekend.

My bike still looks like new, even though in the worst weather it was disgusting, covered in salt etc.

Keep it maintained and no, once a winter ACF isnt good enough.  I dont do a full ACF respray every weekend but cover the full exterior and then wipe it down. Immaculate

I know Im quoting myself but just wanted to make the point.  It does not take long to do this.  

1. Muc off - 2 -3 minutes spray the whole bike. 

2. Mug of tea - 15 minutes

3. Muc off will have worked - spray whole bike with jet spray - 5 ish minutes

4. Dry with cloth or put bike in garage on side stand to let water drain off.

5. Go and watch TV

6. Couple of hours later, spray all over with ACF50 (cept brakes of course) - 2 minutes

7. Wipe off - 2 minutes

So less than 15 minutes work a week and my bike looks like new.  Its a 2015 with 21,000+ on the clock.

I'm expecting to still have the same bike in 3 years time with 70 - 80000 on the clock

• Like 4
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Tex

• Andy m

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do around 800 miles a week and have ridden throughout the winter.  Every weekend I use Muc off, then spray the bike with a power washer, then hand dry it and finally finish of with ACF 50.  EVERY we

I know Im quoting myself but just wanted to make the point.  It does not take long to do this.   1. Muc off - 2 -3 minutes spray the whole bike.  2. Mug of tea - 15 minutes 3. Muc off w

We know Rocker can, just occasionally , be a little 'oversensitive' but he does have a point, making silly stereotypical views about other bikers is all a bit naff. When made by someone who rides a re

And you could probably knock a couple of minutes off by using an electric dryer.. :) 

Mrs T bought a leaf blower (one of those ‘special buys’ from Aldi). It’s, spectacularly, useless for it’s intended purpose, but I suspect it will make a handy dryer for the bikes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Guest machinman
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Not sure why you're not keen on HD's or power rangers, does that mean you don't like the owners/riders (sweeping statement unless of course you've met them all in which case you're of course well placed to make a judgement) or you've owned or ridden cruisers and sports bikes and not enjoyed the experience? Leaving  aside the riders themselves for a minute, I've tried both, the cruiser/Harley thing not really for me (at least up until now, I rule nothing out) but I've enjoyed riding and owning many sportsbikes (even before they were called that). Riding a sportsbike at anywhere near close to it's capability is one of the very particular joys of riding a bike and, a bit like yourself, I don't care if NC owners take the piss out of my 168 bhp GSXR :D:D:D

Dont like the HD style of bike. My loss? Maybe, but doubtful.

Dont get the power ranger thing either, spangly leathers, with logos on and 168hp worth of noise is more suited to a track.

Havent got a clue about football scores either. Whos in division 1 now?

Tonyj

Accrington Stanley , they just signed knobbie  stiles and George best . Heard a rumour that greavsie is on that list . 

• Haha 1
Guest machinman
29 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Accrington Stanley , they just signed knobbie  stiles and George best . Heard a rumour that greavsie is on that list . 

Does Terry McDermott still have a moustache?🤣🤣

neojynx
3 hours ago, Tex said:

And you could probably knock a couple of minutes off by using an electric dryer.. :) 

Mrs T bought a leaf blower (one of those ‘special buys’ from Aldi). It’s, spectacularly, useless for it’s intended purpose, but I suspect it will make a handy dryer for the bikes.

Youre right, some people do use leaf blowers..  Good idea :)

Spindizzy

I guess I just don't get it. Dressing as a Power Ranger I would feel a twit, mostly because being astride a Superbike for me is like giving a child a sharp knife. I don't really know what I am doing with it and will probably hurt myself. Riding a Harley I would feel like a Cliche, maybe if I dressed as a Power Ranger on a Harley?

Looks like its just me the scooter and a pink tutu for now. :cheer:

The leaf blower trick is a good one, save a lot of wiping down and gets the moisture away from the nooks and crannies.It definitely helps to have a winter hack. My smaller scooter I ride in anything, less inclined to do so with the larger one. 

I leave you with a soundtrack that creeps in to my unconscious when watching Andy ride out on his Manx Thruxton Pugh Superior. 

• Like 1
SteveThackery
6 hours ago, neojynx said:

1. Muc off - 2 -3 minutes spray the whole bike. 

2. Mug of tea - 15 minutes

3. Muc off will have worked - spray whole bike with jet spray - 5 ish minutes

So are you saying that ALL you need to do is spray Muc off, wait, and spray it off again with a jet spray?

Dammit, I must be doing it wrong.  When I've used it, at best it loosens the dirt a bit - when I've washed it off without doing anything else there is always plenty of oily dirt left behind.  Even non-oily dirt seems immune sometimes.

So, definitely no need to mess about with brushes and fiddling in tiny nooks and crannies with the corner of a sponge, and all that stuff?

Tonyj

steve i swear by sdoc 100 its a bit more clingy and it does work . some degreasers are best applied with a wet bike but not sdoc , do the oily bits . some agitation depending on how old and crappy it is . wait ten minutes + - not to powerful or direct jet . can be a hose if no jet washer  . which i know you are aware of and watch it just roll off . then a blast with the pet dryer or bike specific version on the controls a quick spritz with wd or gt85 or similar and a wipe down. paraffin on the chain . relube,  good to go.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
6 hours ago, Tonyj said:

steve i swear by sdoc 100 its a bit more clingy and it does work . some degreasers are best applied with a wet bike but not sdoc , do the oily bits . some agitation depending on how old and crappy it is . wait ten minutes + - not to powerful or direct jet . can be a hose if no jet washer  . which i know you are aware of and watch it just roll off . then a blast with the pet dryer or bike specific version on the controls a quick spritz with wd or gt85 or similar and a wipe down. paraffin on the chain . relube,  good to go.

+1 same procedure but with muc off, at the beginning of winter I cover all shiny bolts and stuff with copper grease and that stays on all winter. 

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Guest DelBoy
20 hours ago, Tex said:

That's what I do too, although I use a wet dry vac that also blows, a bit more wieldy that the garden vac

I also use it foe the car along with mu Karcher window vac.

Still have the cuppa though :ahappy: