16K service......how much?

Newoldbiker

Newoldbiker

My (nearly) 2 year old 700S (manual) needs a service and some brake pads.  Sent emails to 5 local dealers in West London.  The first one has replied - a garage in postcode W4.  Now I know London is expensive but £363 for the service and then another £128 for the pads seems a lot of money to me.  Looking at the service schedule there is a lot of 'check' and not a lot of 'replace'. £500!!  :drool:

What do you think?

Whilst e-mailing will bring in some quotes, I think the best prices are obtained by going into the dealers in person, having a chat about what's required on the bike, getting a price and then asking if there's any way the price could be brought down. However, I see your location might add a few £££ to any work required, even so your opening quote of £500 seems a little on the high side to me.

Of course, all main dealer prices are OTT, paying more to have a 700cc bike serviced than it costs to service a mid range car is just plain silly, but those 'stamps' in the book are what matters if anything serious goes wrong. When you're out of warranty then perhaps look/ask around for a good 'indie'.

• Like 1
motorbykcourier

At 16K miles the valves need checking - at least that's the case on 750

There's quite a lot of 'stuff' including panels, radiator etc that need pulling off before being able to do the work.

So a lot of what you are paying for is time

Replacing the air filter alone with genuine one is quite expensive itself ~£45

I'm on 60K miles so have had a number of 16k mile services and they all come in around the £300 mark - and that's in darkest Suffolk !!

However I do think £128 for pads (assuming it's just the front pads) is expensive !!

The first set of pads I had replaced cost ~£45 (pads only), it seems Honda have recently changed their pricing of these pads, as latest ones were ~£25

Even I could change pads in 30minutes

But as suggested elsewhere you could try visiting a few other garages.

My only take on this, is that it might pay to 'develop' a relationship with a particular garage (or two) - you never know when you might need that favour !!

These are just my comments on my experience and observations, take as you will from it​

All the best

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Paul---have you looked really hard at yourself in the mirror lately--as someone wrote MUG in permanent marker on your forehead--or F******* what???

Paul seriously £500 is too dear--- please phone around--can you not change to brake pads yourself?? be sure to put genuine ones in to not invalidate your warranty.

Just think about it--but if you are prepared to pay the £500 --then Yes your are a MUG !!! Sorry  :baby:

Newoldbiker

Yo NC Guru!  This is why I is posting man!  I'm like - £500!!!   :drool:  Seriously!! :drool:  :drool:  It's crazy! My warranty is finished in November so I'm considering doing the whole thing myself.  I just wanted to see if anyone around here knew of anywhere much cheaper that I may consider.

But I can change oil, oil filter, air filter.  Brake pads I'm not sure of but there's a place in South London call The Oval Motorcycle Centre where you pay £25  per hour to hire a workbench with tools and help on hand and once I know how to do then I know how to do it forever.

We're not all stupid in the South, Michael.  I was actually born in Preston in the Royal Infirmary.  The MUG comment hurt man!  LOL!

The only item you might struggle to to you self is the values unless your mechanically able the rest is easy just be methodical with your checks replacements and adjustment a monkey is a joke honda pads you get raps as well I spent 43 quid on ebc double h for front and rear and they are better pads

The only item you might struggle to to you self is the values unless your mechanically able the rest is easy just be methodical with your checks replacements and adjustment a monkey is a joke honda pads you get raped as well I spent 43 quid on ebc double h for front and rear and they are better pads cheers David

60k miles Steve very impressive how is the bike holding up if you don't mind sharing. As for prices best to shop around I'd you don't have regular dealer you use regularly.

Guest bonekicker

But Paul people have been paying that amount and more  and still they don't listen--at least you asked and listened--I have been a MUG in the past and try very hard not to be anymore. :baby:

North South East or West we are all or have been at some time or other a MUG--- but through this Great Forum we can all get --learn and pass information on to others. :thumbsup:

Guest dentonlad

The 8000 service with the valve check on my bike had 3 hours labour down to it. Parts were oil and filters at about £70. They should be the same wherever the dealer is. The brake pad price is highway robbery. Labour is obviously a lot more in London but.......

dazznutts

Brake pads costs me £12.49 of flea bay and 20 mins to fit clean etc.

London prices are way to high

Not going to join the discussion on value for money or lack of when paying a dealer to service the bike on this occasion.

For reference/comparison though, which I suspect was at least part of the purpose of NewOldBiker's  original post I paid £450 a few months ago for the 16k service on my 750X manual. This price also included supply & fitting on new chain & sprocket plus new front brake pads. Dealer also sorted out a number of other small issues (sticking front brake lever, stiff centre stand, etc.) 

Not cheap but not unduly expensive for dealer prices I would suggest for the work performed on this occasion

• Like 2
Newoldbiker

I'm decided - I'm doing it myself.  Pay for a service at a dealer and it's done for a year, learn to do a service and it's done for a lifetime.....bye bye dealers, hello swarfega  :geek:  :geek:

• Like 4
motorbykcourier

For the benefit of Roddy, NC Guru - and anyone else that might be interested ??

Question " how is the bike holding up"?

I would say quite admirably !?

Ok its not perfect - gearbox is probably worse than the BMW it replaced, but careful chain tension does help.

I've gone through 2 x sets of rear wheel bearings - which is a bit of a concern ?!

Have, of course changed the chain & sprockets - currently running a DID low friction chain - brill !!

Other than that (touch wood and all that) its just regular servicing.

I might halve the service interval for plugs & air filter - it seems to improve mpg so much.

Its very easy to get 70 + mpg and recently got best of 83 mpg - but I seldom do anything less than 200 mile round trip.

Currently running Pirelli Scorpion Trail II - they are a giggle in bad conditions and surprisingly better than Michelin PR4.

The only concern will be how these tyres work below 10c ?

Getting ~11K rear & 18K front

That's it really - finish is holding up well - it gets a wash once a week (if its lucky)

One day I'll get around to taking a few piccys and showing them on here !!??

Any questions or comments don't hesitate to get in touch.

But once again, the comments are based only on my 14 months and ~60k experience

• Like 3
Newoldbiker

60K miles in 14 months!  Bloody hell - do you ever go home?  You must be on the road like 24/7.  Big respect  :super:

• Like 3
motorbykcourier

Just a quick note

Just booked the bike in for its 64K miles service (big one!) and I was reminded that Honda have it as 6 hour from start to completion !!

So that might (is) where big money is quoted/taken for this service

For those that don't catch on - this is equivalent of 16K service.....

Steve where are you getting it done out of interest?

Edited by giley

Just a quick note

Just booked the bike in for its 64K miles service (big one!) and I was reminded that Honda have it as 6 hour from start to completion !!

So that might (is) where big money is quoted/taken for this service

For those that don't catch on - this is equivalent of 16K service.....

Steve the bulk of that cost is the labour for the valve adjustment you want to ask once they have done the computer diagnostic and if the engine is running well within its parameters if their is any need to check the adjustment of the vales as it is identified by that check, :ermm:  labour cost should drop drastically if this is so bet they do not say nothing unless you ask  :no:   :mad:

motorbykcourier

Giles - I get my servicing done by Paul at MoreMoto.

TBH - you'll struggle to find anyone in the UK better qualified

Dave - I know where you're coming from, but computers only tell you SO much, that's a fact.

They can only read in and read out what they've been programed to  - by a human.

If a 'technician' (engineer) has the knowledge and understanding - they can then interpret better what's really needed for an engine (electro/mechanical unit)

Its the difference between and engineer (better) and a mechanic (parts fitter)

The parts fitter has little understanding other than what a computer tells him/her to do.

yep Steve agree with your comments, i should have been clearer with my point,  that if the computer diagnostics show no probs with the engine and it is running correctly within the parameters set, the techs/fitters do not then physically check the values which is where 3 hours of the labour charge goes

Where do you ride the bike to get those miles in? Interesting about the gearbox not being quite as good. When did you notice it getting rough? Mine is at 21000 in 19 months and is still snickity snick smooth. So regular servicing is the key to a healthy long life.

Just had my 16000 mile service today at a cost of £243.89. That included £12.50 for the loan bike. Valve clearances were checked but didn't need adjustment and advised front pads are down to 2mm. I also need to book it back in for starter relay recall warranty job as my bike is affected apparently. Don't know what anyone else thinks, but for oil and filter change + airfilter, valve check and a look round, seems like quite a lot of labour. Still not as bad as some!

If you are in London steer clear of Metropolis - nothing wrong with the work, but customer service and pricing is a joke.

They did me for nearly 800 quid on 16k service, including chain, and new pads all around - They undertook the extra work without running the price through with me before hand, and when i came to collect it late in the day were complete arseholes. I ended up paying just to get the bike back and get home.

800 quid..!! I think I would be contacting trading standards on that one for doing work that you didn't agree to. At the very least to let them know that you were not happy.But I can see why you just wanted to pay and get the bike back and put it down to a bad job and don't go there again. 

Guest Arthritic Toe

Had mine last week at the local Honda dealer for about £280.  It would have been about £40 less if the valve clearances hadn't needed adjustment - they reckon about 80% don't (mine did).  That included £15 for the hire bike.