16K service......how much?

Newoldbiker

Guest Southerner

If you are in London steer clear of Metropolis - nothing wrong with the work, but customer service and pricing is a joke.

They did me for nearly 800 quid on 16k service, including chain, and new pads all around - They undertook the extra work without running the price through with me before hand, and when i came to collect it late in the day were complete arseholes. I ended up paying just to get the bike back and get home.

You should complain to their management, you have grounds.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

steelhorseuk

£800-00 .... You must be joking! I think they saw you coming mate, what a rip-off!

-Mark-

If you are in London steer clear of Metropolis - nothing wrong with the work, but customer service and pricing is a joke.

They did me for nearly 800 quid on 16k service, including chain, and new pads all around - They undertook the extra work without running the price through with me before hand, and when i came to collect it late in the day were complete arseholes. I ended up paying just to get the bike back and get home.

£800 thats beyond anything even remotely funny. As others have already said I would be contacting trading standards about that especially as they did work without first consulting with you. People like that do not deserve to be in business or expect any loyalty from customers.

I know their prices are high so main main issue was not really the price, but the fact that they didnt call me first to give me a price on the works. Its in the past now but i wont be going back

dazznutts

£800 is a joke they would of charged rrp for pads and chain in excess of £250 plus fitting sorry but your've been ripped off

• 1 month later...
Guest Moodman1

16000 mile service thunder road cwmbran including coolant change £399.  Another problem I have had is the rear wheel bearings have play in them.I replaced them just before the MOt but 600miles later the service picked up play again. They changed them but 90mile trip back home and the rear wheel has play again. Taking it back so will update. Hope this is not a problem as on previous bikes its taken 50000+miles before wheel bearings have needed replaced.  

dazznutts

16000 mile service thunder road cwmbran including coolant change £399.  Another problem I have had is the rear wheel bearings have play in them.I replaced them just before the MOt but 600miles later the service picked up play again. They changed them but 90mile trip back home and the rear wheel has play again. Taking it back so will update. Hope this is not a problem as on previous bikes its taken 50000+miles before wheel bearings have needed replaced.  

£399 is a lot for the 16k sevice

Edited by dazznutts
  • 2 months later...
Scootabout

I know i was  - hence the warning! Metropolis are notoriously expensive

They are an absolute bunch of shysters and slimeballs. The only reason they continue to exist, IMO, is because of their location, right next to Vauxhall Cross. They catch the unwary in the form of new riders buying their first scooter or whatever. I'd had various fairly poor experiences with them but one final one was the last straw. They tried to rip me off some massive amount for servicing and fixing the head bearings of my TMax. I declined the offer and went to collect the scooter the next day. It hadn't been fully reassembled. (They had taken some bits of bodywork off but not actually done the service / head berings at this point.) I had a right set-to with them, and reassembled the bodywork as best I could myself. Fasteners were missing, so I had to bodge it. They actually said I wasn't welcome to come back - so I'm banned from there! That suits me fine. I wouldn't go back there to buy a packet of crisps, let alone anything to do with a motorcycle.

Since they've been like this for years, I suspect complaining to the management won't help. I'd love it if you went to trading standards and won.

Guest Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Just had my 16000 mile service today at a cost of £243.89. That included £12.50 for the loan bike.

<snip>

Don't know what anyone else thinks, but for oil and filter change + airfilter, valve check and a look round, seems like quite a lot of labour. Still not as bad as some!

£192 + VAT, for a major service.  

I'm assuming bearings (head, swingarm, wheels etc) check, brake inspection and clean, chain check and adjust, oil change and valves.  Bits need removed and refitted

Sounds about 3 hours (£50ph ?) + parts, which isn't far off.

I know people don't like dealer hourly rates, but they do have to pay a lot to have the nice facilities, loan bikes, demonstrators, buildings, training, insurances, pay, power, not to mention free coffee!!!  

I'd be OK with that as a price, but then I'd always get a fixed price before.  It would cost more than that just for an oil change on a KTM :) 

• 1 month later...

Booked for 16k service at Norton Way Honda for £230 + £33 for chain and both sprockets change (chain and sprockets are mine).

While my bike will be serviced I'm booked for 2016 NC750X DCT test ride as well so will try to record and upload short review to my YT channel. Although the test bike is blue but I prefer red or black one..

2pte24l.jpg

While having a coffee I had a chat with one chap who just finished his Africa Twin test ride. He fancied a change from his Fireblade to AT...

trisaki

Be interesting to see what they are going to do for that price

Mark,

They are aware this is major service with valve check.

I simply told them £230-250 is the price you can get elsewhere for this service and asked them if they can price match which they did.

Time will tell...

I paid £280 all in for a DCT (so extra filter) from Cantubury Honda after having a quote for £500 from my local dealer in Crawley P&H

Rocker66

I paid £280 all in for a DCT (so extra filter) from Cantubury Honda after having a quote for £500 from my local dealer in Crawley P&H

I assume that you mean Kent Motorcycles. To the best of my knowledge there is no company in the UK called Canterbury Honda

to Rocker66's point - it was Kent Motorcycle (nr Canterbury). I received excellent service - was very happy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Scootabout

FWIW my recent 16k service at Dobles, Coulsdon, was £390. This included coolant change, but no pads required. Interestingly, I had to enquire whether the valve check was done, as it didn't appear on the checklist, and was assured that it had been, and that if there had been a problem then extra labour would have been needed. The price for parts seemed fair. I knew what the labour charge would be. The overall price came out as slightly less than I'd expected. Not cheap, but I made the decision to get it done professionally rather than spend days doing it myself and probably cocking it up. In future, especially if funds are tight, I might go the DIY route.

Steve Blackdog

My local bike workshop has quoted me £180 plus materials plus VAT.  I'd try Lancaster Honda in Morecambe, but it's another 2 hours round trip and not sure the benefit.

Any views on Lancaster Honda??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DelBoy

to Rocker66's point - it was Kent Motorcycle (nr Canterbury). I received excellent service - was very happy.

I keep hearing good things about these guys, think I will take mine there for my 16k, due soon.

16000 service.  £329, all in.  Air filter from me.  This included changing the rear shock.  Front pads still ok.

Had a CB500x out, nice bike.

Mo.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DelBoy

I assume that you mean Kent Motorcycles. To the best of my knowledge there is no company in the UK called Canterbury Honda

Hi Rocker,

I needed to put some miles on my Ducati Diavel recently, so took a blast down to Kent Motorcycles to find out where they were and also to inquire about my up and coming 16k service.

Very nice, helpful chaps, they suggested that the 16k valve inspection was up to me and also that it was very very rare that they required any work.

The quote (which I cannot remember) was very reasonable.

Will definitely be taking my NC there for the 16k

Many thanks for the heads up Rocker dude.

P.S. they also gave me some good advice concerning my other half who wants to get her bike licence. only downside is that she has got her little heart set on a Ducati Scrambler, great bikes but not cheap. Although I have got her also interested in the Yamaha MT07.

P.P.S. had a great all day brekky at the Cafe next door, happy days, I love it.

ScaredyCat

£344 for me which included :-

£15 for loan bike :(

New front pads

New Air filter

Replaced missing clutch lever bolt

Freed up sticking centre stand

Valves within tolerance. 

Also got all greens on the checklist.

Edit: because I can't spell valves

Edited by ScaredyCat