12 Month/8000 mile service timing query

fred_jb

fred_jb

This may be a stupid question, but I had been thinking that my next service would be due 12 months after I bought the bike, so towards the end of September. I then realised that it had a 600 mile service about 2 months after purchase - so is the next service due 12 months after the 600 mile service?   It won't have reached 8000 miles before then so I assume it will be purely time based.

Fred

Guest Hants73

I asked the same question when I brought my bike as I thought it would be after the first 600 mile service . But was told it should be 12 months from when I brought the bike and every 12 months unless the mileage exceeded 8000 miles

Guest bonekicker

Fred I was told quite clearly--it did not matter about the date--but must be done near the mileage each time--but rules can be broken as well as made. :baby:

Rocker66

Fred I was told quite clearly--it did not matter about the date--but must be done near the mileage each time--but rules can be broken as well as made. :baby:

The book clearly states 8000 miles or 12 months whichever comes soonest.

fred_jb

The book clearly states 8000 miles or 12 months whichever comes soonest.

Yes - but in the case of the first proper service is it 12 months from the initial 600 mile service, or 12 months from purchase. To me as the oil is changed at the 600 mile service then I would feel that the next service should not be due for a further 12 months - I expect the dealers don't view it that way though!

It makes about 2 months difference in my case - more time to save up!  The dealer I bought from is quoting £199, but I'm going to see if I can do better elsewhere.

Fred

Rocker66

Yes - but in the case of the first proper service is it 12 months from the initial 600 mile service, or 12 months from purchase. To me as the oil is changed at the 600 mile service then I would feel that the next service should not be due for a further 12 months - I expect the dealers don't view it that way though!

It makes about 2 months difference in my case - more time to save up!  The dealer I bought from is quoting £199, but I'm going to see if I can do better elsewhere.

Fred

I was actually responding to Bonekickers comment that dates don't matter.

Ia gree that it can be interpreted 2 ways but as the 8000 is done at 8000 not 8600 I personally  would play safe and have it done 12 months from purchase

• Like 1

£199 !!***###. Fred shop around mate,I have just booked my 750x in for the same service. However not with my local Honda dealer but a local Suzuki dealership. £120 all in. Big difference in price. I have no preference as to who services my bike, would have liked to have given the business back to my Hond dealership but their prices seem to be way over the top. I was going to do the service myself but at £120 I'm happy for someone else to do it.

Sorry in answer to your original question my Honda dealership told me 12 months from the date of the 600 mile service.

Edited by scara
  • Like 1
fred_jb

£199 !!***###. Fred shop around mate,I have just booked my 750x in for the same service. However not with my local Honda dealer but a local Suzuki dealership. £120 all in. Big difference in price. I have no preference as to who services my bike, would have liked to have given the business back to my Hond dealership but their prices seem to be way over the top. I was going to do the service myself but at £120 I'm happy for someone else to do it.

Sorry in answer to your original question my Honda dealership told me 12 months from the date of the 600 mile service.

Yes - I was shocked too!    He gave me a whole list of things they check, but it seems they only actually replace the filters and oil.    The only thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the rest of my 2 year warranty remains valid - would a service at a Suzuki dealership maintain the Honda warranty?

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

It's got to be 12 months after the 600 service...........now if the first service was still complimentary as it used to be then I might see a dealer argument for 12/24 from purchase service intervals.

Edited by 911767

Yes - I was shocked too! He gave me a whole list of things they check, but it seems they only actually replace the filters and oil. The only thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the rest of my 2 year warranty remains valid - would a service at a Suzuki dealership maintain the Honda warranty?

Fred

Fred I see absolutely no reason at all why it would interfere with the Honda warranty. The Suzuki dealer has obtained the service specs etc from Honda to do the service and basically yes it is an oil and filter change with numerous nut and bolt checks etc. I am more than happy have them do the work.

I don't want to moan as I have no issues with my Honda dealer locally but it seems they are taking the P*!## with their service prices.

Rocker66

It's got to be 12 months after the 600 service...........now if the first service was still complimentary as it used to be then I might see a dealer argument for 12/24 from purchase service intervals.

If that was the case why isn't the 2nd service at 8600 which would be 8000 from the first service. Get the right dealer and the first service is complimentary or at least the labour is.

If that was the case why isn't the 2nd service at 8600 which would be 8000 from the first service. Get the right dealer and the first service is complimentary or at least the labour is.

If I take my first service at 6 months because I've only done an average of say, 50 miles a month, then in the following 6 winter months I do even fewer miles.............are you saying that the bike requires another annual £200 service despite only having covered less than 500 miles in 12 months?

Or would you say it was reasonable to start the 'annual' clock after the first service?

• Like 1
Guest upandhonda

My 

Fred

My dealer when asked this,as i was leaving from 600 mile service was clear in his interpretaion-`see you in 12 months`-Didnt account for recalls tho! _If different dealers differ in their interpretations  it might be best to ask each of your prospective  servicers -or Honda??

rjp996

Re will a service at a Suzuki dealer maintain the Honda warranty, I would say no, as motorcycles are outside the block exemption agreement and the warranty details for the Honda I purchased stated that it must be a Honda service dealer.

Guest bonekicker

I has others have done is change my oil and filter myself at 4000 miles--it cost me £39 for both oil and filter from dealer--and took --say 20 minutes--he said it was more than ok so long as the parts were genuine Honda --as they were--put your receipts in the service book--If I was told quite clearly about the mileage and not the date--why would I pass the information on--just to confuse someone?--if I was given the wrong information --then that is a different matter--as we all know by now--Honda will take as much money from you--the NC range of bikes were meant to be--Very Economical--But the ludicrous service charges do not make it so--how many cars do you know have a 500 miles service??? I would guess none--10,000 miles--- so just try and add up how much it would cost up to 10,000 miles to service your NC bike----someone do the maths --I'm no good at it. :baby:

Re will a service at a Suzuki dealer maintain the Honda warranty, I would say no, as motorcycles are outside the block exemption agreement and the warranty details for the Honda I purchased stated that it must be a Honda service dealer.

I'll take my chances then, though I doubt unless it was the fault of the Suzuki dealer or any parts they used that caused a failure Honda wouldn't do any warranty work.

Besides the thing with warranties is they are in addition to your statutory rights which under s14 of the sale of goods act last 6 years from purchase.

Maybe that's why Honda think they can rip off I mean charge it's customers exorbitant servicing prices.  :shifty:

• Like 1

Tony Moss ,my local bike shop in Wem ,Shropshire changed my oil and filter for £60

Yes - I was shocked too!    He gave me a whole list of things they check, but it seems they only actually replace the filters and oil.    The only thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the rest of my 2 year warranty remains valid - would a service at a Suzuki dealership maintain the Honda warranty?

Fred

he seems surpirised when I insisted on him signing the service book - and marked it "oil and filter only".

OK I would suspect a usual service to include checking tyre pressures & tread,lights work,and chain tension but not much else.

Am I right?

Rocker66

I has others have done is change my oil and filter myself at 4000 miles--it cost me £39 for both oil and filter from dealer--and took --say 20 minutes--he said it was more than ok so long as the parts were genuine Honda --as they were--put your receipts in the service book--If I was told quite clearly about the mileage and not the date--why would I pass the information on--just to confuse someone?--if I was given the wrong information --then that is a different matter--as we all know by now--Honda will take as much money from you--the NC range of bikes were meant to be--Very Economical--But the ludicrous service charges do not make it so--how many cars do you know have a 500 miles service??? I would guess none--10,000 miles--- so just try and add up how much it would cost up to 10,000 miles to service your NC bike----someone do the maths --I'm no good at it. :baby:

The point is you have done the oil and filter change. The 12 month clause is obviously aimed at those that don't do any work on their bikes and therefore would not have changed their oil since the 600 mile service.

As to comparing cars and bikes why bother. If you want car costs buy a car. Nobody likes paying more than they have to  but the solution is to ring around the dealers to get quotes regarding running costs and if you find one that is acceptable to you then buy the bike. If the running costs are not acceptable then don't buy the bike rather than buy it and then rant on about the costs all the time after all for the vast majority of riders these days the bike is not their main form of transport.

Tony Moss ,my local bike shop in Wem ,Shropshire changed my oil and filter for £60

Yes - I was shocked too! He gave me a whole list of things they check, but it seems they only actually replace the filters and oil. The only thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the rest of my 2 year warranty remains valid - would a service at a Suzuki dealership maintain the Honda warranty?

Fred

he seems surpirised when I insisted on him signing the service book - and marked it "oil and filter only".

OK I would suspect a usual service to include checking tyre pressures & tread,lights work,and chain tension but not much else.

Am I right?

Bazza

It will be a service to full Honda specs with genuine parts carried out at a main dealer albeit not Honda.

Book stamped to confirm service I would doubt Honda could argue it hadn't been serviced. Though you never know.

Plus I get a guzzi 1200 to use whilst its in as well. :-)

As I mentioned previously I am happy to make that decision in letting someone else do the service. All I can say is that if anyone isn't then I would suggest they take it to there Honda dealer and pay the Honda price.

Edited by scara
  • Like 1

Bazza

It will be a service to full Honda specs with genuine parts carried out at a main dealer albeit not Honda.

Book stamped to confirm service I would doubt Honda could argue it hadn't been serviced. Though you never know.

Plus I get a guzzi 1200 to use whilst its in as well. :-)

As I mentioned previously I am happy to make that decision in letting someone else do the service. All I can say is that if anyone isn't then I would suggest you take it to your Honda dealer and pay the Honda price.

Well if you like a Guzzi 1200 - buy one! I can onlty say i have read reports and the engine seems a bit ancient - rather like the boxer in origins but without the further investment .but I havent ridden one so what do I know?

Well if you like a Guzzi 1200 - buy one! I can onlty say i have read reports and the engine seems a bit ancient - rather like the boxer in origins but without the further investment .but I havent ridden one so what do I know?

No I have never ridden one either mate but the offer was there so I didn't decline. Wont be buying one though not this year anyway. I wouldn't mind a go on a calafornia touring which will be on my small list when I will likely change next year.

Bazza I may have worded my last reply wrongly I didn't mean for you to take it to your Honda dealer as you already said about your local shop doing the oil and filter it was meant as a generic reply to everyone else.

Sorry Fred miles off topic now.:-0

Edited by scara

No I have never ridden one either mate but the offer was there so I didn't decline. Wont be buying one though not this year anyway. I wouldn't mind a go on a calafornia touring which will be on my small list when I will likely change next year.

Bazza apologies I may have worded my last reply wrongly I didn't mean for you to take it to your Honda dealer as you already said about your local shop doing the oil and filter it was meant as a generic reply to everyone else.

Sorry Fred miles off topic now.:-0

Guest GeoffThai

My 12 month service at 5,200 Miles with my Honda main dealer cost the equivalent of 43 Pounds, a little expensive and its a second hand bike so I had the clutch filter changed at the same time. (I asked for the air filter change as well but they took it out, it was so clean they just put it back in) Interesting point was the official Honda oil used is the 0-30 spec, when I asked for 10-40 they said no, a few people reported problems with the DCT using 10-40, so Honda policy now is 0-30.