Slow starting

ncmf

My 700S has bern a little slow to start the last few times .  I put a K&N filter in a few days ago, might it be related to this, or what else might cause this?

a little leaner - does the 'puter need telling of the free'er flowing air-ask the supplier!

When you say 'slow starting', do you mean that the engine is turning over slowly, or do you mean it's taking more cranking to get the engine to fire?

Exactly that. One symptom would point you one way and the other would point you, er, the other..

Air filter won't make any difference at idle or cranking, the air flow is so low that any difference in pressure drop (dP) will be negligible . dP goes with flow rate squared, so even if when cranking it flowed 10% of maximum (it doesn't), the dP would be only 1% of the max. Any differences in filter performance would be infinitesimal at idle.

The saying goes that batteries become terminally ill (sic) over summer, but die as soon as winter comes. Warm weather hides the tiredness, as soon as the temps drop into single figures it falls over. I'd suspect this is the issue here.

Yip, sounds like the battery. Same happend to mine on the D/V around this time a couple of yers ago. fresh Battery and wham, back to normal.

Grumpy old man

Why have they got rid of the kickstarters?

Grumpy old man

Same reason they got rid of starting handles for cars I guess :bye:

Having used starting handles on cars and Kickstarts I wouldn't really compare them

Put a Meyer across battery terminals and turn ignition on if voltage drops like a stone to under 12v chuck battery away and fit a new un if it stays around 12.3 or above stick it on charge and then try again

Slowboy

Same reason they got rid of starting handles for cars I guess  :bye:

Kick starters, luxury. When I were a lad we had to run and bump it, and lick road clean wit' tongue on the way to work in t' mill and down t' pit. And you tell the kids today and they don't believe you.

Guest EasyTiger

Run and bump, boys? Luxury... When I were a kid we had to get up before we went to bed, light a fire under the frozen engine to warm it up, blister our fingers pulling off an engine cover, stick a wrench on the crankshaft bolt, siphon a mouthful of petrol from the mayor's car, run back and spit it into the carburettor, turn over the engine to free it with the twins on the end of a piece of scaffold slipped over the wrench, point it down slagheap for a hundred yards before letting clutch in in third, and then lick road clean wit' tongue on the way to work in t' mill and down t' pit. At neet you had to push bike all way back oop hill. All on a piece of bread and dripping on Sundays. And you tell the kids today and they don't believe you.

Hi, thanks for the input.  I think I will get a spare battery just in case.

It has been better since though.  And it wasn't only when cold.

Derek_Mac

Having used starting handles on cars and Kickstarts I wouldn't really compare them

I don't know about that, other than the fact one is used by hand and the other by foot, they both involve using physical effort to start an engine.

Edit: All the same principle to me.

Edited by Derek_Mac
Grumpy old man

"I don't know about that, other than the fact one is used by hand and the other by foot, they both involve using physical effort to start an engine."

Edit: All the same principle to

On a bike you're all dressed up for the weather foot on the kickstart and Away you go it might kick back but no hardship. In a car search through the boot for the starting handle fiddle through a hole in the front grill try and find the pulley spin the engine if she kicks back you might dislocate your thumb if you're not holding the handle properly, put the handle back and hope the car doesn't cut out while you doing all this.

When did they actually stop fitting Kickstarts?

Edited by Grumpy old man
Rocker66

Kawasaki were fitting them on the W650 up until 2006

Alot of the chineee and indian bikes, keyway, and such all have kickstarts.