Integra headshake?

Guest PollieXmas

Guest PollieXmas

Hi All

My Traveler is brand new, but I have noticed that when I take my hands off the handlebars at about 80km/h then from about 70km/h down to 60km/h I get  headshake which gets worse as the speed reduces, i.e. it starts out mild at about 75km/h and then wobbles badly by the time it hits 60km/h. (My guess is about 15cm front to back)

Has anybody else notice this? (You'll notice this front-to-back shaking of the handlebars when you gently rest your one hand on the handlebars and take the other one off while decelerating from 80 down to 50km/h.)

When I noticed this on my K100RS many years ago the dealer simply tightened the nut on the top of the headset? (i.e. where the forks swivel and are connected to the front of the frame)

I'm not sure what else can cause this, as I presume if it was something more serious it would have caused other issues and at different speeds as well.

The other issue I noticed was a vibration that seems to come from the forks as well. This vibration has a much higher frequency and seems to start by itself and then take about 1-2 seconds to dissipate. On very smooth roads it seldom happens, but on rough roads it happens frequently.

It does not seem to be tied to bumps in the road as the suspension seems to absorb the bumps normally. It is more minor irregularities in the road that seem to trigger it. The frequency builds up quickly/almost instantly and then fades away in about a two seconds or so.

It almost feels like what an engine vibration at constant rpm might feel like, but I'm not feeling this anywhere else (feet/seat), only on the handlebars. It also does not seem to relate to a specific rpm/speed and/or throttle position (load/no load).

I did notice that the headlight also seems to vibrate a lot when I look at the reflection on the road signs (at day-time).

If I have to hazard a guess, I would say that the forks are vibrating front to back under certain road conditions.

I'm hoping it is related to the headshake.

Anyway, I'm swinging by the dealer this afternoon to see if they can sort out the headshake. Then I'll do more troubleshooting on the other vibration.

Any ideas what these may be or someone who can confirm this on their Integra?

Regards

Paul

Ps. We were two-up with hardly any weight in the panniers.
trisaki

Check tyre pressure and adjust the rear shock absorber preloaded , do you have a top box fitted as that can make the bike wobbly

Yes i agree with trisaki- tyre pressure and tyre balance - balance especially if it start at about 60mph

It's not 'normal' behaviour from an Integra. My guess would be (like your previous BMW) loose steering head bearings. A simple enough adjustment and, to my mind, the first thing to try.

Guest PollieXmas

Thanks Everyone,

The dealer will let me know when I can bring it in to have the the steering head bearing tightened up a bit and the have the preload adjusted to favour two-up riding. Hopefully this sorts out all the suspension vibrations.

I had the tyre pressure adjusted to 2.9 at the back and 2.6 at the front. I think the dealer made it 2.8 and 2.5 and I recall that it was 2.44 at the front but I'm not sure if that was the initial pressure. (It is one of the newer automated units that over inflates and then de-flates to the set pressure. Sometimes (mostly) it misses the mark and has to re-inflate.)

The top box is still fitted.

Regards

Paul

Slowboy

Taking your hands off the bars when slowing at the speeds you describe often causes the bars to rock back and forth. It could be caused by a number of things, most of which are perfectly normal. It is a consequence of the compromise inherent on motorcycle design, mainly the trade off between quick steering and stability. It can be made worse by tyres that have worn normally a bit, weight over the rear (stuff in the top box) and head bearings that are a bit loose, but tightening them on the NC is unlikely to change it. Custom bikes with their long rake hardly every suffer from it, sports bikes with their short rake do, which is why many of them also have steering dampers. Just taking hold of the bars will stop it immediately, as the bike is designed to be held with both hands and we provide sufficient damping without even noticing we're doing it. It's nothing to worry about, it's just one of those compromises of the bikes design, and has been a characteristic of most of the bikes I've owned. The best speed to get this to happen is slowing down, hands off, no brakes between 40 mph and 20 mph. Technically it's illegal to take your hands off the bars while riding (lack of proper control), so I'm not recommending it, just providing the information by way of explaination.

• Like 1
Guest PollieXmas

Taking your hands off the bars when slowing at the speeds you describe often causes the bars to rock back and forth. It could be caused by a number of things, most of which are perfectly normal. It is a consequence of the compromise inherent on motorcycle design, mainly the trade off between quick steering and stability. It can be made worse by tyres that have worn normally a bit, weight over the rear (stuff in the top box) and head bearings that are a bit loose, but tightening them on the NC is unlikely to change it. Custom bikes with their long rake hardly every suffer from it, sports bikes with their short rake do, which is why many of them also have steering dampers. Just taking hold of the bars will stop it immediately, as the bike is designed to be held with both hands and we provide sufficient damping without even noticing we're doing it. It's nothing to worry about, it's just one of those compromises of the bikes design, and has been a characteristic of most of the bikes I've owned. The best speed to get this to happen is slowing down, hands off, no brakes between 40 mph and 20 mph. Technically it's illegal to take your hands off the bars while riding (lack of proper control), so I'm not recommending it, just providing the information by way of explaination.

Hi Slowboy,

Yes, I'm not too concerned with the headshake, just checking to see if it could not be caused by something more serious. I've only had it on my K100RS before and on none of my other bikes and from what I can recall, only the 999S had a steering damper.

On the Integra it is probably more noticeable because you don't have as much weight on the handlebars as with a sports tourer. I noticed it with my hands on the handlebars and only took my hands off to confirm the shaking I was feeling. 

I'm more concerned with the other vibration as that will be very annoying on road trips.

Regards

Paul

When I got my Integra with around 2k miles on it, I found it had just a slight tendency to want to shake. On servicing the front end I found the steering head bearing adjustment was, to be blunt, rubbish from the factory. Story in this thread http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/5119-steering-head-bearings-and-fork-oil/?hl=%2Bintegra+%2Bsteering+%2Bhead+%2Bbearings

I was never overly keen on the front Metz Z8 as fitted OE, and as it wore it became more unpleasant, wanting to drop into corners. I changed early to Michelin PR4's and they are a delight, matching the Integra perfectly IMO.

Guest PollieXmas

When I got my Integra with around 2k miles on it, I found it had just a slight tendency to want to shake. On servicing the front end I found the steering head bearing adjustment was, to be blunt, rubbish from the factory. Story in this thread http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/5119-steering-head-bearings-and-fork-oil/?hl=%2Bintegra+%2Bsteering+%2Bhead+%2Bbearings

I was never overly keen on the front Metz Z8 as fitted OE, and as it wore it became more unpleasant, wanting to drop into corners. I changed early to Michelin PR4's and they are a delight, matching the Integra perfectly IMO.

Thanks Murray, 

Let's see what it feels like once the dealer had a go at it. I'll be fine with a little shake, but currently it is enough to feel it even if I'm not looking for it (with my hands on the handle bars).

Also thanks for reposting the link and not saying anything about searching as in other forums. That is the thing with searches (I searched on headshake), if you don't get the term right and in my case spelling then you also find nothing  :aww:

Regards

Paul

Ps. I'm a Bridgestone man, so hope it is also a good match for the Integra

Guest PollieXmas

Hi All,

Just some feedback on this...

The dealer first tried tightening the lock nut and turned up the rear shock, but that did not help. (They wanted to open the headset but I don't think they got round to it.)

Then they replaced my front rim and now it is sorted.

I have not had time to fully test it, but the couple of quick tests I did the handlebars now remains rock solid, so have no doubt that this is now sorted.

Regards

Paul

Edited by PollieXmas