NC700X rear brake pedal / lever

pmjones79

The rear brake lever on my NC starts too low so when pressed ends up with my foot in a rather uncomfortable position.

It has got to the point where I must do something about it.

I don't have any of the literature that comes with a new NC so am completely blind on the issue.

I see a 12mm nut on a threaded bar coming off the pedal going up to a 10mm on a cylinder.

I haven't adjusted anything yet but cannot see how adjusting these will bring the standing position of the pedal up to where I want it.

Guest bonekicker

Peter it can be adjusted--have you made a contribution to the forum site? if you have or do--you can download the workshop manual--but I will find the page that you need now.  :baby:

Guest bonekicker

I have had a quick look in my workshop manual--and can't find the answer to Peter's problem--can someone with brains please help--it the wrong time of day for me--it's nearly bedtime. :baby:  It's hard work being a paper lad at 67--you don't know you were born--some of you !!!  :blink:

Derek_Mac

Peter, here's the relevant info:

rearbrakeadjust.png

You'd best check your rear brake pads as well.

• Like 2
bikerbampi

It will be worth checking the pads are not due to be changed too.

• Like 2
Guest garcher

I concur with Derek, I did mine almost as soon as I got the bike, the rider before me sut have had tiny feet. Just loosen the nuts and you can move the pedal up and down. A couple of days spraying release agent will eas the job quite a bit. The pedal moves about 1/4" per rotation of the rod..

I need to lower mine. It is at the highest setting at the moment and I need to raise my leg to place my foot over the pedal.

Yes, too high for my size 12's and 5.10 frame also.

This is the first bike I've ever owned where I've had to adjust the brake pedal position.

Lifting my leg to press the pedal was required on the test bike I rode too so I suspect it's a factory set position.

Guest machinman

Is the pedal starting to bind? By that, I mean not returning to the correct position after the brake has been applied.

I had this after last winter. It's an easy fix, remove pedal from the shaft it pivots on, remove rusty gunge and apply fresh grease and reassemble. You will need circlip pliers if I remember correctly.

Can't guarantee this is your problem, but worth looking. Another sign is you will have a slight rear wheel bind.

Hope this is useful.

Quick and easy job it was. I turned in about half of the available adjustment and tested it only with stationary bike but it felt a lot letter han before. Tomorrow will be road test and futhrer adjust if needed

Scootabout

Slightly off topic, but when my NC700X was returned after repair the other day I wondered why I needed for the first time to lift my foot to press the pedal. Initially I assumed it had gone out of adjustment somehow. Then I realised the lever was bent. The repairers said they knew but "thought I might have customised it"  :blink: New lever duly supplied...

• 2 years later...
Guest jayd365

Thanks for posting a shot of the manual @Derek_Mac it was fiddly but easy to adjust the sensor.

For anyone looking to do it:

1. It's in an awkward position, but pull it up - about an inch or more

2. On the bottom you will see a black plastic adjuster with teeth on the edge

3. Turn it clock wise for the light to come on later, and anti clockwise for it to come on sooner (say if you have just replaced the rear pads)

4. Test and go!

Graham NZ

Opinions will vary as to what the height relationship between the footrest and the brake pedal should be.  I go with the one which recommends having the pedal set so that it can be depressed by pivoting your boot on the rest for finest control of the braking pressure.  Many pedals are set too high for that requiring the boot to be lifted onto them and that makes it difficult to judge the pressure applied.

When adjusting the brake light switch put a finger behind the footrest hanger plate and simply lift the plastic switch a little and with other fingers reach through the opening in the hanger plate and rotate the plastic adjusting nut.  No tools required.

When I removed the rear pads a sheet SS clip fell onto the floor.  It wasn't obvious where it came from and the service manual exploded view didn't show the clip.  Witness marks on the clip suggested it came from the front of the pads and acted as a rubbing surface for them.  Not until I removed the wheel could I see where the clip should be fitted and it was at the front of the pads.  When canting the caliper up to remove and fit pads it's easy to dislodge the clip which should stay in place but didn't in my case.  Knowing where it goes now it's easy to refit if dislodged.