Chain Lube-How Often

Gaucho

Hi Guys,

New bike has done 360 mlies now. How often should I be lubing the chain and any preferences on lube make.

Thanks.

I did not clean or lube my chain and it was shot by 8k miles - loads of tight links - prob really gone 2k before that.

New chain, since i ride the bike 2k per month, I try to clean and oil the chain every couple of weeks or 1,000 miles (ish). Chain been on for 4k miles now and like new still (DID VX2 chain).

I use WD40 Chain Cleaner (not the oil), and WD40 Chain Lube (eg not the oil again) - bit O / X ring safe. Lots of threads on here, from people that oil after every ride to those like me. Comes down to time and whats practical.

wpbrown

I just spray on some more chain oil spray every 600-700 miles or so. I don't spend any time cleaning unless it looks like it needs it, which isn't too often. As I only do about 3,000 miles per year it's no great hardship.

I get the AllYearBiker ACF50 treatment each year (just done today) in preparation for the winter and they always give it a good clean. They usually give off about bikes with oilers that haven't been regulated properly and oil is sitting thick, especially in around the front cog area. Another thing they hate is Muckoff; is too corrosive and water marks usually etched in the engine/gear box coverings.