NC700s throttle snatch

Guest Peter

I know this has been the subject of previous discussion, but perhaps someone has something new to offer. I have now done around 4000 k on my 700s. Love the bike, and after initial tyre pressure problems (that Honda Australia came to the party on)have not had any ongoing problems with it, except for below. Fantastic fuel economy, strong and satisfying performance, and lovely handling is how I would sum it all up. However, I still get some snatch in the throttle at low speeds, and snatch when I back off the throttle. It is not possible to dial in power, especially at low speeds, without going through a dead spot before the bike tends to jump forward unless you use the clutch. I adjusted the throttle cable as much as I can, and this did improve the situation to the extent that it is now manageable, but I would really like to dial the snatch issue out of the equation entirely.

The Honda dealer was no use whatsoever. I don't think they actually rode the bike as they were busy sorting the leaking tyre issue. In fact they appeared to be somewhat resentful when I told them of the issue, and that I had made some improvement with the cable adjustment.

Any suggestions?

Guest bonekicker

Taking any bike back for warranty work is always ---very negative--even with the smallest problem--they do try and just fob us off--as far as suggestions--I would say go to another Honda garage--But it's very likely they will do the same  :baby:

It's a real same because the bikes are very good and reliable--they are just more interested in sales and not service  :baby:

trisaki

Make sure you have the correct chain slack and not a mm less do the ECU reset , that tends to sort this sort of problem out also try being in a lower gear , when I first got mine I almost had to relearn how to ride because the Nc had such a low rev engine set up

• Like 1

Hi Peter, my 700S had the same problems. I thought it was me all the time although I also adjusted out nearly all the slack in the throttle cables which helped. Try an ECU reset as suggested (I didn't try that) but if all else fails fit a Decat downpipe from either Arrow or Leo Vince. When I fiited the Leo Vince on mine it completely removed this problem and also enabled me to go to a lower speed in top gear more comfortably. Our Toyota seems to have the same issue too, which I'm guessing may also be down to the catalytic converter.

BTW, my commiserations on your upcoming loss in the Rugger this weekend mate...

Guest Big Shot

I was just going to say I don't have this problem...... but I run mine without the CAT and an aftermarket exhaust. Plus K&N filter. So as usabikes has said this seems to resolve the issue.

I found this problem on occasion over the 15000 miles and 2yrs I've run my NC700X. I find the engine/transmission setup quite sensitive to adjustment. Adjustment of he combination of throttle twist-grip play and chain adjustment normally sorts it for another few thousand miles. The chain adjustment as described in the owners manual - set on the side stand to the prescribed amount of play - is inaccurate I feel and is best set to an appropriate amount of free play when sat on the bike (but difficult to do I admit!). I've found this sorts these issues  but your bike may of course be different!

cheers

Many thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the comments, and will go over the thing again- especially the ECU re-set. I'll need to look that one up. In the meantime, I had a great ride last week - from home here in Port Macquarie to my daughters home at Swansea, south of Newcastle (sounds like home to you guys no doubt) and then on to Sydney where I caught up with a mate, before back home. Got insanely good fuel economy- less than 3.1 litres per 100k (whatever that is in mpg), and had a ball on the freeway and in Sydney traffic.

Thanks again for the tips.

It has just occurred to me that prior to delivery the bike had a new battery fitted as the old one was flat (it had been on the floor for some time before I bought it) and it is possible that the ECU should have been re-set at that time. Anyway, will do the reset and let you all know how it ends up. here's hoping.

Oh, and Graeme in NZ. congrats on the Rugby. No doubt that the best team won the WC this time. Now I might just go out and blow my brains out. That was hard.

Oh, and Graeme in NZ. congrats on the Rugby. No doubt that the best team won the WC this time. Now I might just go out and blow my brains out. That was hard.

You're a man Peter!

We have to say the same all the time when we play loose at Cricket to you guys :)

There's always next time brother :thumbsup:

Ok, So i re-set the ECU as suggested, and it has made a lot of difference. Now the bike is much smoother from low speeds without any clutch - that dreaded surge is no longer present, aside from a tiny grab if you are not totally smooth on the throttle. Cannot believe that the bike was delivered to me initially with 15 lbs in the tires, and with a new battery without resetting anything. No wonder it was a bit of a challenge to ride on the first day.

Thanks all for the advice.

and to make things even sweeter, we just won the test against En Zed. But as Graeme knows, i would swap a few wins in the cricket for that one big one in the rugby.

Thanks for the feedback. Although anecdotal, it's certainly looking like the ECU reset procedure is actually doing something and if circumstances are right it can improve the running. That's useful to hear.

Enjoy the bike.