Display unit issues

Guest ringbuffer

Guest ringbuffer

Good Morning

Got a few issues with my NC 700 dct went in to book a service and when I was leaving the garage notices engine management light on and no gears showing !! so popped it back in to get the garage to check it.

So firstly its the second one I have had as the first display unit was steaming up from the inside and this was replaced earlier this year so the current one has only 890 miles on it which is now also faulty.

Spoke tho the garage and they said I would have to contact Honda as the bike is only 3 months out of warranty and has only done 3000 miles.

Contacted Honda and they said they would contact the dealer.

So the Honda Garage have said it is the display unit that is faulty and it will cost £495 plus vat for a new one  !! even though I only had a new one recently !!

So any suggestions as feel they have not been very helpful so far and a question if it was only replaced recently isn't that unit still under a guarantee of some sort ?

Thanks for any help.

trisaki

As far as I'm aware honda parts have a 3 month warranty so it should be covered

Honda parts fitted outside warranty are covered for 6 months according to their web site, either way, I'd be back banging on the counter........

There's an EU directive that mandated a 2 year warranty on all products - I doubt that any limitation on spares to less than that is valid. They could probably argue the limitation on parts sold to independent repairers but hard to do so to a customer who had a part fitted in their official workshops. In any case the manufacturers generally practice goodwill, especially when a vehicle is only just out of warranty and even more so if it's been fully serviced.

They could probably argue that the replacement of the first display respected the two year warranty on the bike but that would be very bad customer relationship management.

It sounds like the dealer is being lazy. They should have contacted Honda on your behalf in the first instance and explained the situation fully. I'd be surprised if Honda wouldn't offer an FOC replacement as goodwill. They should have done so straight away if they value customer service and reputation. It's also not beyond possibility that there's some other problem behind the dealer's attitude wouldn't be the first time some bright spark tried to cover up a mistake by blaming the manufacturer.

I'd go back to Honda explaining the whole story and saying how much this has destroyed your faith in their brand. If you can add in that you've always been a loyal customer, had the bike properly serviced etc it makes refusal even more a bad idea for them.

Edited by chris

Obviously guessing blind from a distance, but if the "check engine" light is on and the gear indicator is blank, I'd suspect something is actually wrong with the system rather than the display. Did they do a proper system check or just "shoot the messenger". Was the gear indicator completely absent, or have one bar across the middle or something else? They should be able to find the blink code for what the check engine was indicating.

I'm guessing the bike was fine before it went in for the "service"?

Unless of course the instrument pack is indeed faulty, but that would be my last guess to be honest.

The 3 most common causes for electrical problems are connectors, connectors, & connectors.

As for a replacement (presumably new not secondhand) having a 3 month guarantee, I think they need to check the legal small print regarding consumer rights.

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

It was probably replaced by one of the original clocks--they will replace it I am sure--Just why the garage and Honda --fart about getting it done--well--just beats me  :baby: