Clutch cable after 24k miles

Guest chicken george

Guest chicken george

Just done a service on my bike this weekend to find my clutch cable in this state. It didn't actually look that bad when it was in place. The strands are very brittle. There's only the central core left intact.

I think I got lucky on this occasion.

20151103_202159.jpg

Yes perhaps the clutch cable should be a 'replace item' after 20k just to be on the safe side.

Guest bonekicker

Chris not a pretty sight--these cables do need oiling between services-- they are one of the weaker items on bike--and therefore require a little more attention :aww:  

Another argument for DCT, would only need to do a couple of million miles and you'd have saved the difference in clutch cable ; )

• Like 3
steelhorseuk

Chris not a pretty sight--these cables do need oiling between services-- they are one of the weaker items on bike--and therefore require a little more attention :aww:  

Agree. I oil mine very regularly, no sign of wear as yet.

-Mark-

I'm taking that is at the lower end, down on the engine.

The Deauville (which I'm familiar with) has a similar arrangement with a bolt on bracket for the cable abutment, item 5. It's a common problem that the cable doesn't align perfectly and the inner rubs on one side of the exit sleeve, and wears through exactly as shown.

The solution is highly technical. You bend the bracket 5 so the cable runs smoothly through the exit ferrule without rubbing. It will make the operation smoother and lighter too.

I would strongly recommend taking it off the bike to bend it using a vice if you have one handy, it usually needs only a very small tweak to get it right. You can probably do it in situ, but don't blame me if it goes wrong. 

E_05.jpg

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...
I would strongly recommend taking it off the bike to bend it using a vice if you have one handy, it usually needs only a very small tweak to get it right. You can probably do it in situ, but don't blame me if it goes wrong.

<sarcasm mode: on>

What? I'm not entitled to be ham-fisted in my garage, belly full of single malt and blame you when it all goes pear shaped? Taking responsibility for my own actions is something I was taught, yet apparently very few of the generation erupting from the womb after me has enjoyed that particular lesson.

<sarcasm mode: off>

• Like 1

Hehe, it's from being indoctrinated with product liability and professional indemnity. A bit like the warnings on packets of nuts that say "may contain nuts", or "don't put your dog in the microwave". But hey, go right ahead! :dielaugh:

Edited by embee

Just lubed my clutch cable today and cut my thumb on a broken strand. Coming up to 20,000 miles so I think I'd better buy one to stick in the frunk as a just in case!

Mine went at 47000 miles same place . Its very easy to replace with only a bit of fiddling if you dont want to take the side panel off. I found you could get it in the clutch lever end without taking the lever off as well .

Thankyou for the straighten the bracket a wee bit  ((check alignment with the lever in) tip !

• 9 months later...

Had another look at my clutch cable yesterday and found it to be polishing up, but not frayed at the actuation arm end. Lubed it and greased the bottom. I failed to do the 'alignment' bit with the bracket so will get round to changing the cable and adjusting the bracket accordingly. I'm on about 30500 miles or so. Thanks to embee for the bracket warning!