Chain oiler

Jimish

Hi everybody. I haven't got my NC750X yet, it's on order. I was wondering if it's worth getting a Scott Oiler fitted ? I've been on shafties for years so have forgotten all about chains.

What do you think?

fred_jb

It's probably worth getting some sort of oiler, unless you enjoy manually maintaining the chain!  One thing to be aware of is that there is no vacuum take off on the NC engine so you can't use any oiler that requires this, meaning that you either get a more basic manually controlled device like the Loobman or an expensive electronically controlled type.

I've used a Loobman as it is cheap and the dual sided delivery device that goes on the sprocket is very good.  However I've bypassed the manual control and added an electronically controlled valve so that oil flows continually when the ignition is on, with flow rate set by a manually adjusted screw in/out valve.  I am now dispensing with the LoobMan reservoir which is quite small, a bit difficult to mount, and a bit ugly.  I am replacing it with a flexible bag type reservoir inside the fairing which will hold 500ml of oil.

Fred

Englishman

Tutoro chain oiler, highly recommended

• Like 1

Tho ive not had anything else. loobman on mine...............well worth the 21 quid it cost.  I still clean the chain every four or so weeks tho.

Tutoro chain oiler, highly recommended

+1 for the Tutoro, just remember to adjust the rate for different temperatures if you riding all year round.

Slowboy

+1 for the tutoro as well. Three years in and still working fine, just top it up every 500 miles

Got a pd oiler which seems to work okay but nothing beats a properly set up Scott oiler in my opinion. The problem is, garages do not always get them set up correctly!

Tutoro has been excellent. No vacuum or electrical connections. Great!

That's great. Thanks for your responses. I didn't realise there wasn't a vacuum take off.

Englishman

I think but maybe wrong that Tutoro do a different oil for high ambient conditions

Slowboy

I use scottoil in mine, seems to work well all year with a tweak to the flow valve for the colder weather. B&Q chain saw oil would be fine too.

+1 for the PD Oiler. http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

Comes in 2 flavours, either a self contained unit or a separate bottle and remote valve unit. The valve is switched on and off at intervals set by a simple one knob controller and it works as a pump, delivering a set small amount of oil. The timer has an led which shows when it's on/off so very easy to set up and adjust. Being effectively a pump it doesn't seem to be very temperature dependant, which some of the other types can be.

I got the self contained one but I'd recommend trying to install the separate bottle version, principally because the self contained one is solid so you can't see the oil level, you have to check it with a "dipstick" tube which is messy, and refilling is with a syringe and tube which is just plain awful. It does however work very well.

I'm looking at converting it to a separate bottle arrangement over winter.

fred_jb

+1 for the PD Oiler. http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

Comes in 2 flavours, either a self contained unit or a separate bottle and remote valve unit. The valve is switched on and off at intervals set by a simple one knob controller and it works as a pump, delivering a set small amount of oil. The timer has an led which shows when it's on/off so very easy to set up and adjust. Being effectively a pump it doesn't seem to be very temperature dependant, which some of the other types can be.

I got the self contained one but I'd recommend trying to install the separate bottle version, principally because the self contained one is solid so you can't see the oil level, you have to check it with a "dipstick" tube which is messy, and refilling is with a syringe and tube which is just plain awful. It does however work very well.

I'm looking at converting it to a separate bottle arrangement over winter.

These look interesting devices, being able to pump rather than rely on gravity feed seems like a big advantage so you don't have so many limitations as other makes with respect to the position and orientation of the reservoir. However, as they use solid containers, I guess they still have to be vented in some way to avoid a vacuum build up in the reservoir.  

That is one of the reasons I am replacing my solid Loobman reservoir with a flexible bag type.  This should just flatten due to external atmospheric pressure as the oil drains out, so should hopefully not require any kind of venting.

Fred

I don't know about the tutoro oiler but the pro oiler is a pumped system so it is not crippled by a change in oil viscosity. I spent a few years with a scott oiler but every time the sun came out it would dump all its oil - every time the temp dropped 2 degrees the blighter would stop doing anything!   Just something to consider unless they've overcome that.

These look interesting devices, being able to pump rather than rely on gravity feed seems like a big advantage so you don't have so many limitations as other makes with respect to the position and orientation of the reservoir. However, as they use solid containers, I guess they still have to be vented in some way to avoid a vacuum build up in the reservoir.  

That is one of the reasons I am replacing my solid Loobman reservoir with a flexible bag type.  This should just flatten due to external atmospheric pressure as the oil drains out, so should hopefully not require any kind of venting.

Fred

Don't forget the most important: it is viscosity independent! With gravitational oilers, the flow will be too much and too little during the day... It's not steady.
scoot_to_boot

I''d be interested to hear about the bag. Drip bags might be very suitable as they come with hermetic connectors and are quite robust, but I found them to be a bit pricey for a plastic bag.

fred_jb

I''d be interested to hear about the bag. Drip bags might be very suitable as they come with hermetic connectors and are quite robust, but I found them to be a bit pricey for a plastic bag.

I've ordered some 0.5L USWE hydration bags and fittings.  Assuming the oil doesn't dissolve the plastic I will let you know how I get on!  The idea is to put the bag inside the front upper fairing cavity held upright with velcro, with the tube leading down inside and across the battery compartment to join the electronic valve which is under the lower left side panel.  If this all works well I will maybe put another bag in the other side joining with a Y piece and on/off taps on each so that I can switch over if I run out on a trip. 

Viscosity changes with temperature, as mentioned, are a potential problem for all gravity fed systems, but I have a multi-turn valve for regulating the flow which is easily accessible to tweak if required.  While using this with the Loobman reservoir in the summer there was easily enough flow with it almost shut, so I think there is plenty of scope to increase flow if required for the winter, or I could even have different oils in the two bags and switch over when it is cold!

Fred

Spindizzy

Knock up a towrope you could go the extra mile and have one of these?

intravenous-drip-stand-with-bag_IV_stand

• Like 2
fred_jb

Knock up a towrope you could go the extra mile and have one of these?

intravenous-drip-stand-with-bag_IV_stand

Nice idea, but I was aiming for something a little less visually intrusive!

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...