Fitting new shock to NC750X.

Guest robin

I've taken rear shock out and cleaned and greased everything. Before putting new shock back I notice that top bolt hole is larger on bolt head side / left side than on nut side / right side.

I think there should be a spacer / bush in there to stop the bolt from moving about. I never saw it falling out. Anyone got a pic of one or a part number? Please!

It's a special bolt with a long allen/hex socket head. The head of the bolt is a close fit in the large diameter hole, this means it can clamp the shock eye tight without requiring a close tolerance on the spacing of the bracket sides. The bolt on the bottom linkage to frame is the same design (item 10).

They do have a habit of rusting in situ if they're not greased before fitting. Deauville bottom shock bolts are a bit notorious for this.

F_27.jpg

That's great . Thanks very much.

Can someone delete my extra post. Didn't know, I must have double pressed.

So in effect the shock bolts top and bottom are only holing onto one side. The other side just keeps it steady/ in position.

Where can I get a workshop manual like your's Murray?

trisaki

Worth pulling swingarm out and greasing those bearings as well if you haven't already and retorque every thing

Where can I get a workshop manual like your's Murray?

Not a manual, but a very useful resource here

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

As trisaki says, while you're in there take the opportunity to grease the various bearings, all those shown in the diagram. Personally if there's no sign of contamination I just clean the outsides very thoroughly so no dirt will go in, then slip the bearing bosses through and add more clean grease inside on the rollers. Trying to wash the old grease out is just as likely to introduce dirt as anything. Providing the seals are in good condition they are usually clean inside.

The Honda manual recommends a moly grease. Personally I use a general purpose "LM" type or similar which is what rolling element bearings would normally use, but any grease is better than none. They would probably argue that the movement is small amplitude oscillation which would warrant a moly grease, but I'd argue that moly is really useful for plain bearings rather than rolling ones. I'm sure Honda know what they're talking about. :devil:

• Like 1