Screen fastenings

Guest amiga-mark

Guest amiga-mark

I took the screen off my Integra today and gave it a good clean, as well as the front panels behind it.

Well bugger me, can I get the top right bolt back in? Can I hell as like.

I can see the brass thread captive nut type thing buried in the rubber, and I can poke through it with  thin allen key, but can I get that bolt to bite - no chance.

Any tips or advice?

bikerbampi

Loosen off the rest of the bolts a bit, push the screen to the offending captive nut thingy and try again. If there is a way of getting behind the panel to hold the brass nut steady it can help too.

fred_jb

I had this problem with one of mine.  On examination the threads on one of the bolts were almost flattened.  I don't know how it happened or whether it came from the factory like that, but I had to replace the bolt.   I have nut plates in mine rather than the rubber well nuts, so maybe they caused the problem by not being properly threaded, but the new bolt went in easily so perhaps not.

Have a good look at the threads - it may have gone in cross threaded in the past and caused similar damage to mine.

Fred

Guest amiga-mark

Cheers Peter, already tried that. Still trying to find something that can get behind the mounting strip and be strong enough to apply pressure.

Cheers Fred, will try a different bolt. If that fails may try tapering the end of the bolt a touch to locate it and see if it bites then.

Why is it these little things annoy you so much? I've stripped down two stroke engines and replaced piston rings, piston, bearings, whole variators, etc etc and this bloody bolt is doing my 'ead in!!!!

Grrr!

Huskyteer

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

This is the zero moment of consciousness. Stuck. No answer. Honked. Kaput. It's a miserable experience emotionally. You're losing time. You're incompetent. You don't know what you're doing. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take the machine to a real mechanic who knows how to figure these things out.

I think about this one a lot :)

• Like 2
Guest amiga-mark

Sorted, shaved the rubber grommet a bit and the bolt now goes in.

Well, Actually I set my daughter's boyfriend (motor engineering student) a challenge...and it worked :angel: .

He had an m10 tap and shaved some rubber off.