DCT snatchy at low speed

Guest machinman

Guest machinman

Is it just me, or are all dct's snatchy at low speed? Typically at a constant throttle up to about 12 mph (filtering type scenario). Also when the box changes down to 1st and you try and accelerate (lights changing scenario) I get a snatchy take up although only very brief it's annoying.

I have tried different chain tension and throttle free play, with little improvement.

The 700 manual before this was smoother.

trisaki

Try doing the ECU reset , look up in the search setting normally cures the problem also proper chain free play adjusted on the tight spot

Guest Hants73

I had the same problem took into my local Honda garage who done a ecu and dct reset for me free of charge . Solved all the snatchy riding at slow speed . The gearbox now seams to hold first gear up to 13 mph where as before was about 10 mph then changed into 2nd if your bikes still under warranty worth a try with your dealer

Mike5100

I find if it's annoying me it's best to put it into s-mode.

By the way is the modified dct on the 2016 model supposed to address this issue?

Mike

I find if it's annoying me it's best to put it into s-mode.

By the way is the modified dct on the 2016 model supposed to address this issue?

Mike

Well I read in some early presentation that the DCT will have "a more natural 'feathered' clutch feel around on/off throttle" so, maybe. :-)

I am really looking forward to take a close look at the 2016 NCX at the Swedish MC Show in Gothenburg end of next week.

Guest The Ronin

I usually filter in S mode, it responds better and doesn't change up so quickly and I feel like I have a bit more control. Failing that, try manually shifting.

fred_jb

I think D mode is really not appropriate for town riding in traffic, and is only really suitable for a relaxed riding out on the open road.  It tries to get into high gears quickly, which firstly makes the bike unresponsive, and secondly in stop-start conditions results in way too many gear changes as it is constantly going up and down the box.   As already mentioned I would use S mode or even manual.

I never had an issue with the clutch take up with initial throttle movement as I found that very gradual and progressive as long as you are delicate with the throttle movement, though I think it could do with releasing a bit sooner as you come off the throttle as it seems to stay engaged down to such low revs that you can get some jerkiness. I think it helps to remove most of the free play from the throttle cable which I always do.

I suspect they could make this a bit better, maybe by arranging for when in 1st gear that the clutch should maintain some slip up to slighter higher speeds before you get full engagement, and that it should start to disengage at slightly higher speeds when coming to a stop.

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought my DCT, in the firsts months, I mostly ride on D mode.

But in traffic, the constant changes of gear up and down are a bit anoiyng, because, of course, the byke don´t see the road.

So now, when in heavy trafic or at low speeds, I put the gear-box in manual, and only switch to auto when the traffic is fluid.

JA

I use "D" mode mostly when riding into London, it can be a bit snatchy but it is bearable, I do find myself changing down using the flappy paddle when filtering through dual carriageway traffic as I prefer to be in a higher gear in-case I have to react to an incident, otherwise I am happy to stay in the Dull mode. 

I have only used the Adv once for commuting since getting the Integra, and due to a couple of incidents (not involving me BTW) on the way home the traffic was horrendous, by the time I got in I regretted the choice of bike I  made in the morning as my home journey was filtering in heavy traffic with clutch control for nearly 20 miles, in cold, wet weather with thick winter gloves on, lesson learnt there, next time the Adv comes out to play in the week will be a warmer, sunny day!!

fred_jb

Try doing the ECU reset , look up in the search setting normally cures the problem also proper chain free play adjusted on the tight spot

I found the ECU reset procedure here:  http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/4779-resetting-the-ecu-ecm/?hl=reset

Which states the following:

"This is what I did.
Completely disconnected the battery for 24h (my reading sources state 10 minutes to half an hour) I wanted to me sure.   
Turn the key to on to get rid of any held power for about 30 seconds (probable not needed).
Reconnect Battery (make sure all other electrics are off)
Turn key to on
Start bike without touching the throttle.
Leave to idle (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) for around 15 minutes until the fan kicks in (mine took 16 minutes).
Hit the kill switch.
Turn off the ignition.
Now you’re done."

(I would think disconnecting the battery for half an hour before doing the procedure would be more than adequate.)

There is also a separate DCT clutch reset procedure.   You can download the document from my DropBox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3buf23se7j84euw/Clutch%20Reset%20Procedure.pdf?dl=0

Fred

Guest machinman
When I bought my DCT, in the firsts months, I mostly ride on D mode.

But in traffic, the constant changes of gear up and down are a bit anoiyng, because, of course, the byke don´t see the road.

So now, when in heavy trafic or at low speeds, I put the gear-box in manual, and only switch to auto when the traffic is fluid.

That is exactly my thoughts, I'm in manual 99% of the time.