Possible coolant leak?

Guest goldfish

Guest goldfish

Noticed a few drips of coolant on my garage floor. Looks like a very slight dribble of coolant working its way down the engine casing front and dripping off the sump. Followed the trail, as it were, to the radiator region. No obvious damage to fins etc and no obvious leak point - but the right-hand corner of the rad (as you sit on the bike) was wet underneath. Damned if I could work out where the coolant was coming from though.

The bike had been on its centre stand for a day or so giving time for the coolant to seep. With the engine hot it's all as dry as a bone.

This is more of a slight weep than a leak - not even enough to affect the level in the expansion tank. Its not yet serious but I want to get it sorted before it becomes a problem.

Anyone seen this before? If so, did nipping the hose clamps do the trick or was it the radiator? My bike is still under warranty.

cheers.

Derek_Mac

Richard, as the bike is still under warranty you'd probably be best to have a chat with your dealer.

That way if a hose clamp gets over tightened it's not your fault if it was a Honda technician who did the deed. :)

• Like 1

If it seems to stop when heated up it would fit with a leaking hose joint, they often tighten up as the alum stub expands but the hose clip doesn't (much). If it was a leaking rad or O-ring you'd expect it to be worse when hot due to the pressure.

Hope it's a simple as that.

This is one of the reasons why car manufacturers have shifted more or less over to spring band clamps, they maintain a pretty much constant pre-determined pressure around the hose regardless. I guess access can be tricky for the assembly tools on a bike.

Guest goldfish

I hope its just a hose too. I shall check tonight if I get sufficient daylight to do it. I've arranged to swing by the dealer but cant get there until Friday so I'm crossing most things until then.

Hi Richard...let us know how you get on? We could all do with knowing about this sort of problem.

Guest goldfish

Time for an update.

Well, I still could not see where the coolant came from. One trip to the dealer later and they failed to find it too - although they did note a couple of hose clips "could have been tighter". So, I'm hoping nipping the hoses will have done the trick but I'll be keeping a keen eye on the radiator area for a while to come.

One other place to look is the water pump. There is a small vent hole on most water pumps and if the shaft  seal is leaking  the coolant will come through there. It will stop when the bike reaches operating temperature. When stationary, the changes in ambient air temperature especially in winter will also affect it doe to expansion and contraction of the coolant.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1