Gears not disengaged. I think!

Obiwavy

Hi NCers

When I turn the bike off. NC750x dc,

I use the key. I roll the bike and I feel some resistance. If I put it up on the centre stand and manually turn the rear wheel it seems to be in gear not rotating freely. Any ideas or is that just the way it is? Thanks.

Derek_Mac

Do you put it into neutral before turning it off?

As they say, if you turn off the ignition with it in gear it will stay engaged until you turn it back on, then it'll select neutral before it will start.

Always recommended to select neutral before switching off.

• Like 2

Thanks people, That makes sense. It might be a tad easier to push it to it's parking place now.

Thanks people, That makes sense. It might be a tad easier to push it to it's parking place now.

And if you're battery is struggling in this cold weather, it'll also lower the risk of the bike not starting - due to the power required to switch to neutral when you turn the ignition. It won't start in gear.

i had a similar thing happen, the bike was parked up outside for just over two weeks while i went on holiday, when i came home there was a fair bit of surface rust on the chain, so i put the bike on centre stand , fired it up and put it in gear while spraying wd 40 on the side plates and using the chain oiler, instead of putting it in neutral i just turned the ignition off and when i rotated the back wheel by hand there was a lot of resistance, at first i thought it was a problem with the chain,  possibly the links seized but when i turned ignition on again it shifted into neutral and all was ok.

al

• Like 1