Cleaning your screen

Rocker66

Rocker66

I would be interested to know what products people use for cleaning their screen.

MikeBike

H2O

But I would like to know if there is a product that can polish out the very fine scratches in the plastic. It's only cosmetic as I don't look through it but curious. I'm reluctant to experiement as some I fear may attack / yellow the plastic.

Edited by MikeBike

Rocker on all the bikes I have owned with screens I used warm soapy water followed by a coating of car/ bike polish. Sometimes only used polish if I couldn't be bothered washing it. Never had any issues.

kayz1

H2O

But I would like to know if there is a product that can polish out the very fine scratches in the plastic. It's only cosmetic as I don't look through it but curious. I'm reluctant to experiement as some I fear may attack / yellow the plastic.

toothpaste Mike.

• Like 2

H20 + Muc-off then sometimes Mr Sheen to follow

outrunner

After washing my bike, let the screen dry, then polish with Mr Sheen. :yes:

Oops, Rogue beat me to it.

Andy.

Edited by outrunner
rjp996

I use soap / water. I found I used some glass cleaner spray on my Givi screen once and got mico scratches - so from now on I soap / water and dry my bike off with a leaf blower....

Spindizzy

Always use a microfibre cloth, never use kitchen towel unless you want fine hazing over time.

I leave a soaked rag over it to soften the flies then gently polish off with soapy water. Then apply a wax as that reduces flies sticking and protects from crazing. Crazing happens over time as its a semi-solid which dries not a thermoset material. Certainly true for acrylics, not sure about other materials.

Yeah I am a bit obsessed, the above is what we do to clean plastic side windows on aeroplanes. 

search 'micro-mesh KR70' kit for scratches

bikerbampi

If you have fine scratches on the screen Xerapol polish will do the job, it's hard work but worth it.

kayz1

If you have fine scratches on the screen Xerapol polish will do the job, it's hard work but worth it.

Tooth paste is cheaper :drool:

• Like 1
michael

I used to use a product made by Meguiar's, I think it was #7 or #9. Not a polish really but a finishing shine.

It was ideal on poly and black cars/motorcycles with clear coat over the paint.  It dried, not like wax and a white crumbly finish, but clear. It filled in the crazes and the cracks very nicely.

Why not go here and see if they sell something suitable.  Their products are good, I just haven't purchased any of them lately.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/how-to/

powerful Pierre

Plexus plexiglass cleaner but it's really hard to get these days. Used a lot in the aviation industry for their windscreens, I figured if it's good enough for a plane travelling at 500 odd mph then it should be Okay for my Givi doing 70 odd mph!

White Skark

I and a few of my Goldwing owners used Plexus, but it has got so expensive, a freind of mine search for a reasonable priced alternative, he now sells it on that site, I use it to clean my screen all the time, it comes up shiny and perfectly clear, it is "Clear View Plastic Polish". Basically the same as Plexus.