exhaust and down pipes

roddy

Could anyone shed any light on keeping the downpipes and exhaust clean and bringing them back to their near original condition. Mine are looking a bit sorry for themselves and not sure if to use a scourer or not?

bazza

i agree its a tricky one.is the "hole" in the plastic sump plate there to let heat out of the exhaust port area -or let cooling air -and water -in?

Whatever it makes that area grotty

maybe Tex has a tech answer for us?

Best stuff I have found for cleaning the down pipes is Wonder Wheels. Brush it on and rub until it takes all the muck off. Once you have them clean an occasional use will keep them shining.

A word of caution I would not use this stuff on wheels it will take the lacquer off but on stainless steel is fine and use protective gloves since the stuff starts to burn skin.

embee

Solvol Autosol is perfect. Bear in mind that the pipe will discolour to a brown colour, that's just the way it works, but you can delay it and remove most salt based staining.

• Like 2

In the interests of "style" it seems to me that the front mudguards on bikes are too short, and all the road cak is sprayed onto the engine and the down pipes.

Does a 'Fenda Extenda' help ? 

steelhorseuk

+ 1 for the Autosol

-Mark-

Yeah, nothing too technical required. Solvol Autosol, some fine wire wool (if heavy deposits need tackling) and lots of elbow grease.

• Like 2
Derek_Mac

In the interests of "style" it seems to me that the front mudguards on bikes are too short, and all the road cak is sprayed onto the engine and the down pipes.

Does a 'Fenda Extenda' help ? 

Not a huge amount, but they probaly do more for the radiator.

michael

+1 on Autosol.  Not a particularly rewarding way to spend a few hours in the garage…well perhaps-but only until it rains and gets grungy again.

I have a 4" extension on the fender and it keeps some of the crud off the header pipe.

Could anyone shed any light on keeping the downpipes and exhaust clean and bringing them back to their near original condition. Mine are looking a bit sorry for themselves and not sure if to use a scourer or not?

bottle fizzy coke  :yes:  green scorer plenty of  elbow grease  :sweat:  then polish with some autosol if their stainless  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Apart from the aesthetics does it matter?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips

I do like a nice clean looking bike

I use kitchen foil and brown vinegar , gets all the staining off , then finish with solvol autosol

• 1 month later...
bazza

going to spray mine black - brown isnt colour co-ordinating!

bikerbampi

The front part of the exhaust nearest the engine contains the catalytic converter and gets extremely hot to do it's stuff so will always discolour no matter what you do to it. Personally I think it is not worth the bother trying to keep it gleaming. If it is too unsightly, I would try to cover it up with something like a fine mesh to still allow the cooling effect for the cat.

sandalfarm

Wrap it with that tape stuff that Harley rat bikes have on their down pipes, I found that the down pipe was pitted with debris thrown up from the road despite having a fenda extenda

bazza

bottle fizzy coke  :yes:  green scorer plenty of  elbow grease  :sweat:  then polish with some autosol if their stainless  :thumbsup:

do you wash the pipes with the coke -or heaven forbid, drink the stuff?