Axle Grease -- which one to use?

TJW

Took the rear wheel out the other day to have a new tyre fitted, put it back in but now have it stuck in my head that the wheel doesn't spin as freely anymore as before (and it got nothing to do with the brake). With the chain slack being spot on I thought maybe I should have greased the axle shaft and spacers ...

Anyway, which brand axle grease would people recommend.

Cheers

bazza

I have a similar problem - but found the left spacer got 1/2 in and half out of the spindle hole in the left side swinging arm.If you look at the service book it says to disconnect the abs ring sensor which is really close to the ring.My current problem is the cast alloy brake bracket is too far right so very little clearance on the disc.i think its an alignment issure as have checked all the components carefully - but its a sod of a job refitting the back wheel.

Loved the old BMW brick engine version where all stayed in place and you undid 4 bolts and out popped the wheel!

bazza the crap mechanic

embee

It won't be anything to do with grease on the wheel spindle, nothing moves on that once it's tightened. All the rotation is taken in the bearings.

Most common thing is dragging brake pads, but if you're sure it isn't the brake .............................

Check the spacers, apply a little grease inside the dust seals which run on the spacers, there are usually multi-lips, 2 or 3, and a little grease between these will help the life of the seals and help keep water and dust out.

I always use a very light smear of grease on wheel spindles just to keep corrosion at bay and ease removal etc, a general purpose grease like Castrol LM or similar will do. Grease the dust seals lips, there are usually 2 or 3 lips in side the seals which run o the spacers, it prolongs the life and helps keep water and dust out.

Double check the wheel alignment, the marks on the swingarm sliding blocks in the slots is the easiest way to do a quick check.

Make sure the spacers etc haven't been swapped round.

From http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

F_15.jpg

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
Guest robin

silcoline RG2. Waterproof Red grease for axles. Just get similar from any manufacturer.

Try your local parts shop. Tell them what you want it for!