Is this the right oil?

Guest Dhoadley

I found this very interesting bit of info below using Google:

JASO Oil Specifications 2T specifications

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers found the limits demanded by the API TC specifications too loose. Oils meeting the API TC standard still produced excessive smoke and could not prevent exhaust blocking. Therefore the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) introduced the following specifications:

JASO FA

Original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB

Increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.

JASO FC

Lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.

JASO FD

Same as FC with far higher detergency requirement. Find out more about JASO's 2T specifications from their website.

4T specifications

Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is the good thing for those segments (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it's bad for the motorcycles. At least for those motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.

JASO MA

Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.

JASO MB

MB grade oils are classified as the lowest friction oils among motorcycle four-cycle oils. Not to be used where a JASO MA grade oil is required.

Find out more about theJASO MA and JASO MB specs.

Edited by Tad
  • Like 2

Good man, thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...
Reckless

I've been looking at the oils available in the recomended grade, not quite sure which to go for but I think it will be fully synth, the voices where between motul 7100 and 5100 both with K&N oil filters cheapest £38 dearest £42, it will be for its 4000 mile oil change this coming week.

DaveM59

4000? Do you mean 8000?

Whatever... full synth 10W 30 SG or higher and most oils are now anything up to SM but beware not to use any oils with friction modifiers or labelled as energy conserving or it will slip the clutch. You really need to go to an auto spares or motor factors and read the labels as on-line stores don't give the whole information required for bike use. Once you have found a suitable brand buying cheaper on line in the future is OK. Beware that oils branded specifically for motorcycles are almost 50% dearer than car oils yet a car oil is perfectly fine barring the above mentions caveat. If you're not sure go to Halfords as they do own brand bike oil and as cheap as any motorcycle dealer.

See the info about JASO MA oils three posts up.

Reckless

Thanks Dave, I've just looked it up and yes you're right it's not needed until 8k don't know where I've got 4k from, there again it's what I usually do after buying a bike I know what it's got in the engine then

embee

In addition to the JASO MA business regarding proven tested suitability for use with a wet clutch, there is the aspect of anti wear additives.

Car oils have progressively been reducing the amount of metal based anti-wear additives, particularly zinc and phosphorus compounds. These additives cause catalyst deterioration, the metals attach to the precious metal particles in the catalyst and deactivate them. In the interests of extending catalyst performance life the amounts of these additives have been reduced progressively. When certifying cars they have a "deterioration factor" (DF) applied to the regulated pollutant test figures, the higher the DF the better they have to be when new, and this is expensive.

Motorcycles (most) use the engine oil for the transmission, and the anti-wear additives are more significant. Motorcycle oils have typically twice the level of phosphorus as a modern car oil. This level of phosphorus can be found in some oils aimed principally at diesel engines, and especially in the US the use of oils like Shell Rimula (is it 6 now?) in bikes is quite common. I believe one (or more) of the Rimula variants now actually have a JASO MA approval. I haven't seen it widely sold in the UK though.

There are as many internet posts as you can shake a stick at saying I've used recycled banana skin oil in my bike for a quarter million miles and it's in better condition than when it was new, so make your own mind up. If you understand oil technology you can safely second guess the oil companies, otherwise take their advice.

Personally I stick to Castrol Power1 semi in all my bikes, I've always found it to stay clean, minimal usage, and it seems to free nicely in wet clutches. Other oils are available (including recycled banana skin).

• Like 3
DaveM59

I doubt anyone can understand oils properly, as they are probably trade secret 'recipes'  and there is a high probability that most of what you read about their products is actually marketing and not fact. Being able to make an informed logical choice and not getting bamboozled by pseudo science sales jargon is the problem. I suppose as you say whatever works for you, gives no problems is the way to go. I don't think I'd go for banana skins though, orange peel works better. :)

Rocker66

You are absolutely correct. Cars, with no exception that springs readily to mind, use 'dry' clutches. A few bikes do too, 

You mean like this Tex. I actually loved the sound of it. My neighbour said he loved it as well because if he heard it he knew the weather was good.

On on occasion I pulled up at the lights behind a young guy in an old banger. It was funny watching him looking all round his car trying to find where the noise was coming from

clutch-1.jpg

embee

Isn't it interesting how the sound of a washing machine full of old spanners and brick ends can sound nice to some folk? :devil:

Manufacturers go to great lengths to make things smooth and quiet, yet it is regarded as bland and soul-less.

We are a strange lot.

• Like 2
Rocker66

Isn't it interesting how the sound of a washing machine full of old spanners and brick ends can sound nice to some folk? :devil:

Manufacturers go to great lengths to make things smooth and quiet, yet it is regarded as bland and soul-less.

We are a strange lot.

It was good to actually hear and feel something mechanical under you. I loved that L twin.

Tonyj

It was good to actually hear and feel something mechanical under you. I loved that L twin.

Yep he pushed it everywhere:0)

Rocker66

Yep he pushed it everywhere:0)

The only bit that ever let me down was an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder which wasn't a Ducati part

Tonyj

Never said it broke just said you pushed it everywhere:0)

Rocker66

Never said it broke just said you pushed it everywhere:0)

Then how would I feel and hear something mechanical under me? Is time for your medication :) :)

Tex

Got any pics of the 'whole thing' Rocker? I'm trying to identify the model (and failing dismally!) :)

Rocker66

Got any pics of the 'whole thing' Rocker? I'm trying to identify the model (and failing dismally!) :)

There you go Tex

DCP_0760.jpg