Is this the right oil?

Guest Dhoadley

Guest Dhoadley

With 8000 miles creeping up on me I am going to do the oil/filter myself. Had these changed at 600 miles and also at 4000 but want don't really want to pay for it again when it looks to be a simple task.

I have my new Honda Oil Filter & Filter Wrench, x2 new sump washers (one for spare,) and all the tools ready to go. I had ordered Casterol Power 1 10w-30 fully synthetic and just had a panic and cancelled it. Am I suppose to use Semi/part synthetic oil? Would this be the stuff I am looking for?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/castrol-power-1-4t-10w-30-motorcycle-engine-oil-4ltr

Thanks!!

MikeBike

Just had minse serviced today at the dealer, Oil says 10/40 on the invoice...

Guest Dhoadley

Thanks for the reply Mike, Manual says 10/30 but I don't think there seems to be much difference? I think I have answered my own question with regards to Synthetic Full/Semi and I BELIEVE its Semi...

Dhoadley, what is sump plug washer diameter? 14mm?

Thank you, wasn't sure. Changing oil next week, buying all necessary stuff now.

PS. Is that fiber or copper washer?

Edited by matt28
Derek_Mac

It's a copper washer, and you can reuse the old one by annealing it to soften it.

Guest Dhoadley

FWIW my local Honda shop gave me x2 washers for a quid, usually about 80p each. Never done oil/filter before but quite excited to give it a go tomorrow.

Hopefully not only save myself a packet but keep my lovely NC going for miles to come.

usabikes

10W-30 is the recommended oil. (Personally, I prefer very expensive full synthetic. I use 5W-30 or 0W-40 depending on what I can get. If I could I'd use 0W-30, but can't seem to find any in JASO MA or MA2).

The 10W-30 semi-synth you mention sounds fine as it is JASO MA2.

Edited by usabikes
Griff

Have many folks used full synthetic oil in their NC's ?  I went to the importer here when mine was new and asked if it was ok to use 10/40 as I couldn't find 10/30 anywhere locally. They gave the OK to 10/40 and then I asked if I should use full or semi synthetic. They expressed the preference for semi and that is what I have been using ever since. I use full synthetic on the Triumph and KTM as they insist on it. My only worry about full synthetic on the NC is possible clutch slip. I would be interested to hear the various views.    

embee

Clutch slip is nothing to do with whether it's fully or semi synthetic. There are a lot of urban myths about fully synthetic oils.

The test specifically for determining the suitability of an oil for use with wet clutches is JASO-MA (and variants of it, including catalyst compatibility).

• Like 2
Griff

Clutch slip is nothing to do with whether it's fully or semi synthetic. There are a lot of urban myths about fully synthetic oils.

The test specifically for determining the suitability of an oil for use with wet clutches is JASO-MA (and variants of it, including catalyst compatibility).

Thanks for that. I do however remember hearing about clutch slip in some bikes some years ago when full synthetic oil was used in them. That was the basis for my question.

Edited by Griff

Bought Castrol 10W/30 fully synthetic oil today at Halfords, set of M12 aluminium washers and Hiflo filter from auction site. Will change oil sometimes next week. 5k miles on the clock only, don't want to wait until 8000 miles service.

PS. Can I do 8k service without oil and air filter (K&N fitted) change?

shiggsy

Thanks for that. I do however remember hearing about clutch slip in some bikes some years ago when full synthetic oil was used in them. That was the basis for my question.

That would probably relate to not using engine oil meant for cars, as that can cause clutch slip in bikes.

• Like 1

That would probably relate to not using engine oil meant for cars, as that can cause clutch slip in bikes.

You are absolutely correct. Cars, with no exception that springs readily to mind, use 'dry' clutches. A few bikes do too, obviously, but, in the main, bikes have 'wet' clutches (the clutch runs in the same oil as the engine). The requirements of the two systems are different. Any JASO oil, be it fully synthetic or semi synthetic will be perfectly fine with a wet clutch. Car oil may not be.

• Like 1
Guest Dhoadley

Oil & Filter done. Total Cost:£45.89

Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltrCastrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr - Currently 20% off at Halfrauds. (£30.39)

New washer £.50p

New Honda OEM filter £10

Filter Wrench attachment £5

Took all of 20 minutes including oil draining time. Not bad for a first attempt! If like me you are attacking this for a first time, a few tips:

1. Make sure you have a torque wrench to make sure you get your sump bolt back on correctly and also the new filter.

2. Buy a new washer (12mm) and replace when replacing the bolt.

3. I actually used a standard jug to measure out the right amount of oil going in to eradicate the guess work.

4. If you have a center stand, stick the bike up on that, stick a big bucket underneath for the initial drain and then for the side stand drain (to get out the remaining dregs of oil,) a small tray will catch it.

Really not a big deal if done correctly, and saved myself a lot of time and money and know its been done correctly and quality oil used.

Guest sykospain

Good for you Dhoadley - it's not rocket science is it ? And think how much loot you saved...

I hope you wore the nitrile gloves !

It's actually raining and cloudy here in Almería Province at the moment, but as soon as the warm sun returns after Easter I'll get to the DCT-variant oil change ( TWO oil filters ) video shoot as promised at the end of this video, shortened from MotoZombie's quarter hour epic....

Edited by sykospain
MikeBike

4ltrCastrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr - Currently 20% off at Halfrauds. (£30.39) New washer £.50p New Honda OEM filter £10 Filter Wrench attachment £5

I was expecting oil and parts prices charged by my dealer to have been much higher but pleasantly suprised not so:

OIL 10/40 3.4litres £37.37

9410912000 12mm sump drain plug washer £0.71

15410MCJ505 Oil Filter Cartridge  £11.50

(all inc VAT)

Just done oil change, engine was hot, as just returned home from work.

Castrol 10W/30 fully synthetic (was bit surprised - it's red) - £39.99, Hiflo 204 oil filter - £6.15, new sump plug washer - 5 for £2.64.

Old oil was very dark, but very happy that is done now.

• Like 1
Guest Dhoadley

My new oil was a lovely shade of Red also Matt28. Only had my oil in the bike for 4000 Miles but it was black as anything and felt very broken down like water.

I am all for 8000 service intervals but if riding fairly often and especially commuting in city centers new oil/filter every 4k for the sake of under £50 is a bit of a no brainer for me now.

Bike is beautifully smooth again now which is always a bonus!

michael

It's nice to change your own oil.

Gets me under the bike to look at all the stuff down there that I should be looking at.

My only gripe? Disposing of the old oil is problematic. I'm obligated to take it down to a shop that will recycle it for me.

Guest Dhoadley

It's nice to change your own oil.

Gets me under the bike to look at all the stuff down there that I should be looking at.

My only gripe? Disposing of the old oil is problematic. I'm obligated to take it down to a shop that will recycle it for me.

Luckily I have a recycling centre down the road from me which take it for free  :ahappy:

I can dispose old oil at work - normally waiting until 20l can is full.

Edited by matt28