Battery screw fell and get caught beside starter - can't take it away from there

Guest epsonix

Guest epsonix

I haven't been using bike over winter season, so battery got flat enough and attempts of starting engine were not successful. I started it rolling down from hill got a few km done, but in the evening I decided to charge battery. I removed battery, charged it and attempted to put it back. Then problems started. First, the nut which is part of battery positive terminal went out of its place (it is not well secured there), and went through small gap beside fuse box - took me good a few minutes to get it out from there. Then on second attempt, similar happened with the screw (why I was using that cheap Honda screwdriver instead of just proper one?), but this time it went farer down, landed on electrical loom beside left part of frame. I pushed screw a bit with thin screwdriver from bottom side, nearly got it in my fingers, and then it fell down again - landed somewhere beside starter (I guess it is a starter). I spent 0.5h on trying to remove it from there with bend ~2mm thick wire, with compressed air blown out of compressor, with a few mm diameter rubber pipe attached to hoover pipe, no luck as far. I can't see the screw, but when using the wire to try to move it, I heard it a few times rattling while touched somewhere with wire. I'm not sure though where exactly it is. Today I'm going to ask somebody to help me lean bike on right side (I guess I need to remove exhaust pipe first) - maybe gravity will help? I hope this will work, as I would prefer not to disassemble half of bike just to get to that bloody screw out.

For future I'm going to put some foam to gaps around fuse box, so simple battery maintenance won't turn to nightmare job. 

I have to sympathise Leszek. I needed the battery off a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised how awkward the procedure was. I too managed to let the terminal bolt slip twice, though both times it settled in places I could see/get at, though I did need a length of wire with some axle grease on it.

If you can't rescue the missing bolt I'm sure it's easily replaced, a fairly standard M6 I think.

Edited by 911767
bazza

Maybe a magnet end "fishing tool " is worth buying-blame the makers with their smaller hands!

If you want to take the battery out often maybe Fred can tell you of a quick release method of connecting the wires?

steelhorseuk

A little bit after the horse is bolted but I put a small amount of lithium grease on the lead connectors between the connector and the screw.

Just enough works well in holding the screw in situ after you have released them from the battery avoiding them dropping off.   Works for me anyway!

-Mark-

Guest epsonix

I have to sympathise Leszek. I needed the battery off a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised how awkward the procedure was. I too managed to let the terminal bolt slip twice, though both times it settled in places I could see/get at, though I did need a length of wire with some axle grease on it.

If you can't rescue the missing bolt I'm sure it's easily replaced, a fairly standard M6 I think.

Although i have plenty o varous Mx size screws I could use instead, I think i have to take that one out, as I'm not sure if starter is fully protected so if screw wont manage to block e.g some moving element and so wont cause costly damage.
Guest epsonix

Maybe a magnet end "fishing tool " is worth buying-blame the makers with their smaller hands!

If you want to take the battery out often maybe Fred can tell you of a quick release method of connecting the wires?

Will try magnet if leaning the bike won't help. For future I will use grease and better/magnet philips screwdriver
Englishman

What about a socket, 1/4 drive, that's what I use and it kind of retains the bolt in the socket

embee

Battery screws are quite often plated brass, in which case it won't be magnetic. Worth a try though.

• Like 1
Guest epsonix

Finally screw is out. I removed exhaust, with help of my neighbour leaned bike on on 2 car tyres on the floor, then 3 minutes of digging with bend wire around starter trying to push screw from place it get stuck and finally screw landed on the floor.

Tonyj

That sounded like a broke fix episode :0) glad you got it sorted

Battery screws are quite often plated brass, in which case it won't be magnetic. Worth a try though.

I thought it strange that my magnetic pick-up tool wasn't able to attract the little bolt......

michael

Finally screw is out. I removed exhaust, with help of my neighbour leaned bike on on 2 car tyres on the floor, then 3 minutes of digging with bend wire around starter trying to push screw from place it get stuck and finally screw landed on the floor.

Oh man, what a saga. Sorry you had to go through this.

Oddly enough, your version of events made me smile, because I purchased a "magnet on an expandable stick," for the sole purpose of digging out the washers that were supposed to be under the two bolts holding the front of my VFR.  To undertake some forms of maintenance, the two fasteners at the front of the tank are removed and tilted backwards. (it's hinged at the back of the tank)

So as soon as one lifts up the tank, the two washers slide out of sight, tinkle around and never fall to the floor.

After losing 2 washers I drove down to the auto parts store and picked up a nifty tool. It looks like an antenna (the old collapsable ones) with a magnet and light on the end.

Brilliant! It's not only magnetic, but lights up where I put it.

In doing so, fishing around into the "V," of the V Four, I found no less than 9 washers that had fallen down there and remained in repose. Waiting for me.

The tool now rests in my bike's tool bag, as I'm  hoping it'll reduce the risk of losing a fastener but also double as a spare flashlight.

• Like 2
michael