Yuasa battery (presumably) dead

Guest milan

Guest milan

I bought my NC750X in November 2014. It's still under warranty until this November. I haven't ridden a lot - I got a kid in July, got additional employment, so I'm only riding at some weekends. I'm under total of 5k kilometers (3.1k miles) right now (for the daily commute I mainly use car).

It's sitting in the garage and garage has no heating over winter. I managed to completely drain the battery couple of times. Even while it is sitting, the alarm draws some power from it (it's a shared garage and neighbourhood kids do a stealing spree now and then). When it empties down, I carry the battery up to my flat and charge it (I can't hook up the battery tender in the garage). I noticed it takes less and less time to charge it.

Last time I charged it fully and had a longer ride (3 hours) I left it in garage and after a week my bike is unable to start. I'm thinking I probably killed my battery. I did get the battery out of the bike during couple of weeks, but then I'm always hoping I'll get a joyride here and there and I get the battery back in it (it also keeps the bike safer with the alarm working).

Replacement battery is really expensive. Around 250 euros for the same Yuasa YTZ14S. I found a replacement battery I can get from Germany, called Delo YTZ14S, with the same specs but different manufacturer (for 100 euros). What do you guys think, is it ok to go with this Delo - anyone has any experience with it? I know Yuasa is good, but is it really 2.5 times better?

There's also Lithium battery, Shido being appraised for better starting current and being more resistant to full discharges. It only has 4.5 Ah, while the classic AGM batteries Yuasa and Delo have this at 11.2 Ah. I guess that means if I keep the alarm working it will get the battery empty even faster. Anyone has any experience with Lithium batteries?

Thanks!

Edited by milan

Get a decent battery and a trickle charger, an Optimate or similar.

TheEnglishman

Get a decent battery and a trickle charger, an Optimate or similar.

this - your battery will last longer than you own the bike if you keep the battery fully charged all the time.

I don't know the delo brand but eur 250 for the Yuasa sounds like daylight robbery. I'd try the delo one for that price difference.

Leaving the bike standing with an alarm drawing will flatten the battery in a few weeks. It you can't hook up a tender I'd look at some other form of theft deterrent that won't harm the battery. I got a disc lock with alarm because I don't trust the wiring on alarm systems at the best of times and am frequently away from home so would have the same problem as you, I don't have electricity in the garage either.

Englishman

Low temperatures can affect the battery life too.  What about a solar charger to keep the battery "conditioned" and charged?

embee

Automotive starter lead-acid batteries don't like being run right down, and staying low or flat for any length of time causes them to deteriorate and lose capacity. Sounds like this is what has happened to yours. In the UK we can get genuine Yuasa YTZ12S or 14S batteries for around €85, so €250 sounds excessive.

There are decent alternatives available, though I don't recognise the Delo brand. The NC will really need a battery with a decent cranking current rating (CCA), something 200A and above really (Yuasa YTZ14S is 230A). Check the specs for the alternatives just to be sure.

• Like 1

I managed to completely drain my battery last December

Recharged it, then connected to trickle charger for the rest of the winter. Seems to be ok now.

ste7ios

I guess you looked at Honda's OEM channel... You will find the same battery even made in Japan at your local shops cheaper... The made in ROC or Taiwan Yuasa's are also much cheaper as Murray said.

Anyway there are plenty of alternatives. Just be sure that the code and the specs are the same or equal to OEM's (YTZ-12S).

LFPs are great if they're sized correctly for real life use, i.e. the real capacity is close if not the same with AGM's battery. Just forget pB equivalent capacity & CCA. (CCA is totally meaningless for LFP).

They're great because of their weight, and they've different features & problems...

Have in mind that a lead acid must be ALWAYS FULLY CHARGED to give you the expected life time... (About 5 years). That means that you've to riding much more, or use a battery maintainer, or just disconnect the battery...

Also the cold doesn't harm the battery just affects its performance. Heat harms the batteries especially VRLAs because you can't refill them with water...

YTZ-12S is 11.2Ah (20hr rating) but only half of it can be used for staring the engine. An LFP is different. ~80% of its capacity is available for starting the engine. So you may thing that a ~5-6Ah LFP would be enough. But it's not. It may get overcharged and in the winter you've to warm it by drawing some current using the lights. But there will be no energy to start the engine after the warm up.

I'm using an LFP from Balistic because I had a similar problem like you. I don't ride so often, and my rides are max 20' - 30' in the city. It was impossible to get a full charge.

LFP can be charged in about 10' - 15' and it doesn't care if it's not fully charged. BUT a deep discharge will kill it permanently.

If you go the LFP way, try to find the biggest EearthX you can find. They're great with built in BMS that balances the cells, and protects the battery from overcharging & discharging.

RussB644

Another vote for the trickle charger, works a treat at keeping the battery OK, connecting it up on the bike is easily done.

ste7ios

Another vote for the trickle charger, works a treat at keeping the battery OK, connecting it up on the bike is easily done.

Avoid dummy trickle chargers. They need monitoring (you've to stop charging when the voltage reading is 14.4V) because they can overcharge the battery and cause gasing & electrolyte draining.

Prefer a nice maintainer like Optimates or cteks...

I have checked one site and the cost of the Yuasa batter that you quote is 80GBP, with free delivery certainly for the UK.  The LifePO4 upgrade is 196GBP.

If you have an alarm fitted to the bike, then it will drain the battery in about two weeks.  A smart charger such, as on Optimate, then needs to be fitted. 

Guest sykospain

You don't have to be limited to the famous and expensive Optimate for a true variable-current battery monitor.

Streetwyze, Noco, Genius, Ring, even Black & Decker are all good items and much cheaper.  Carrefour sells one for 30  snoojits.

Just search your local search engine for "Intelligent Battery Charger".  That's the only way you'll keep a new battery new.  Solar powered models are also available, if more expensive.

Edited by sykospain