trouble with gearbox, wrong oil?

Guest apjoe24

trisaki

I sell and use in everything I own active oil additive works a treat - my cars work van my camper all my bikes Inc both of my NCs even my semi auto 125 -all challenge gear lovely

Guest machinman

I have been having Clutch / Gearbox issues especially when hot and was totally unable to select neutral with the engine running.

This happened all of a sudden after a service, well within 40 miles of the 8k service.

The dealer couldn't tell me what oil they had used, but I suspect it was the standard bulk workshop oil.

I telephoned the Technical Department at Silkolene (Fuchs) to ask their advise after describing my issue.

They informed me that late Honda's (> 2009 model year) are prone to this kind of problem, brought about by Honda's pursuit of enhanced MPG figures, in conjunction with thin oil, ie 10w/30.

They advised me to try Comp 4 XP 10/40.

On start up no difference. But after a 40 mile run to expel the old oil off the clutch plates, i've got my old gearbox back, actually its better than ever.

No clutch drag, no clunking into 1st and neutral so easy to find now- What a relief !!

My advice - Don't suffer a clunking badly behaving clutch and G-Box. Use a quality 10w/40 oil

NC700S Manual

Superb outcome, I think a lot of people will be interested in this.
trisaki

My post should have read activ8 oil additive and change gear as they should even my 125 semi automatic

Andy m

Many thanks for posting this. I was teetering on letting the dealer do the 8000 service to keep the warranty at the lowest possible hassle setting, but this convinces me to stay DIY. How can they not know what oil they used? I mean, they could at least make the effort to read the manual and lie to you!

Be interesting to see what happens when I walk into the dealer and buy a filter (second hassle setting on the warranty if you buy the bits from them). I'm guessing it'll be out of stock and on a 9 month waiting list.

Andy

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

And I'm sure you already know, Andy - to buy the HiFlo 204 'Racing' main filter - or the costlier K&N equivalent - with the 17mm nut welded on the end of the can, thus avoiding any pigging-about with a filter-wrench.

The little paper filter you see in the plastic bag to the left of the main filter is the finer DCT-box filter to be replaced at the same job.  Little rubber-ring-end in first.

09cccf0b-57f2-4799-b9dc-799f061a804d_zps

Edited by sykospain

Last I knew, Activ8 was basically chlorinated paraffin, it attacks various bronzes and should never be used where it sees temps you get at piston rings/liners. It went out of general use in the 1930's or something.

Of course I may be wrong.

Dunnster

So are Honda 'advising' 10w30 oil just to improve mpg figures? Would 10w40 make a huge difference in mpg? I know I've got 10w30 oil in mine because I put it in cause of the service manual. I'm due to do the same this weekend, got some to use up, but next year I might change to 10w40.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phantom309

well it's the exact problem my friend is having with her nc750s,2016.. and honda said it was the clutch at fault an replaced it all for new . even though it's only done 3000 miles. an two days later it's doing it again.. selection problems... although i have told he about the thicker oil as she was all but done :BangHead:  with the NC and going to sell it because of the problem..as honda as per norm have decided there was no problem an said we'll replace the clutch free as a good will gesture,??? ( yeah so it doesn't go on record as a fault...)

Rocker66

well it's the exact problem my friend is having with her nc750s,2016.. and honda said it was the clutch at fault an replaced it all for new . even though it's only done 3000 miles. an two days later it's doing it again.. selection problems... although i have told he about the thicker oil as she was all but done :BangHead:  with the NC and going to sell it because of the problem..as honda as per norm have decided there was no problem an said we'll replace the clutch free as a good will gesture,??? ( yeah so it doesn't go on record as a fault...)

When you say "Honda said" are referring to Honda UK or to a Honda dealer?

Guest phantom309

honda uk said it was not a problem it was just wear an tare ( after just 3000 miles?????). the dealer  can only do what they are told..but have done what ever they can to help ..the oil is being changed this weekend so will have to wait an see if it makes a huge differance as others have quoted