8000 service

trisaki

trisaki

Just done my 8000 service , valve check coolant change and oil change , all straight forward , first valve check on my 700 , all within spec , all bolts remove are now copper greased that's my fourth oil change now but I'm a fussy bugger

• Like 2
DaveM59

That's what I intend to do as soon as I've gotten hold of my NC on Friday. Remove everything possible and coppaslip it and silicone grease everything electrical so any future screw/bolt removals will be straight forward when they need to be. If anything is a struggle now, that's OK as it's not slowing down a job that needs doing and can take as long as is needed to sort out. Plenty of Scottoil FS365 up and under to protect things.

• Like 1

Good job Mark. I'm all for frequent oil changes too. :)

Im gona do mine this week at 4900 miles................wont do it any harm I spose. not the valve check, just oil and filter

Edited by noj
DaveM59

Has anyone at any mileage had to adjust the valve clearances?

My X9 is supposed to be checked at 16,000 miles but mine has done 66,000 and when checked for the first time recently they were so close it wasn't worth bothering with. They were on spec but the gauge was a tad looser than ideal but the next up wouldn't fit. As long as they aren't tighter than spec you are best leaving them alone.

I think with modern unleaded hardened valve seats you don't get the regression of old soft seats, nor do you get the cam lobe/follower wear with synthetic oil and any microscopic wear that does happen balances each other out to some degree.

Newoldbiker

I'm on 21K on my NC and haven't touched the valves - it still starts 1st time every time and gives me 75-80mpg.  What would the signs that the valves needed checking be?

Don't plan on doing it any time soon.

DaveM59

Tapping if too wide but no performance or wear detriment, but if too tight could cause vales to burn and performance to drop off, rough idle etc. Age and mileage invariably opens the gap in OHC motors so in most cases it is safe to leave until any tapping at idle gets annoying.

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

Has anyone at any mileage had to adjust the valve clearances?

My X9 is supposed to be checked at 16,000 miles but mine has done 66,000 and when checked for the first time recently they were so close it wasn't worth bothering with. They were on spec but the gauge was a tad looser than ideal but the next up wouldn't fit. As long as they aren't tighter than spec you are best leaving them alone.

I think with modern unleaded hardened valve seats you don't get the regression of old soft seats, nor do you get the cam lobe/follower wear with synthetic oil and any microscopic wear that does happen balances each other out to some degree.

At the 8000 service (done at 7260) on my 700X one of the inlet valves was adjusted as it was at .229 instead of .178

Guest sykospain

Keith - I remember that tappet adjustment on BMW boxers required four bespoke feeler gauges - those Würth feelers with the coloured grips showing their values.   Because as you adjust an inlet, occupying 2 hands turning the screw whilst holding the nut in the open ring spanner, the opposite exhaust feeler falls out, etc.

Is it the same with these bikes ?  If so I'll have to get somebody without Shaky Hands to do the shooting for the 8K valve-check video.