NC700X DCT has bad sound when shifting gears down!

Guest Garazins

Guest Garazins

Hello guys,

My NC700X DcT has really bad sound when it`s shifting down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st gear, i guess that it shouldn`t be like that!

Have anybody else had this kind of a problem with his bike?
What could be the fault?
Edited by Garazins
Guest Garazins

Robin,

Take it back - it`s not a option! The bike has 38 000 km on it and i`m the second owner!

That`s something that need`s to be fixed, has anybody else had this problem and know`s how to fix this?

Sounds awful. I'm at a loss to suggest a cause, but I would be very wary of using the bike as damage to the gearbox could result. Straight to the dealers.

Guest sykospain

That's not a happy transmission, Artis.  Go to a a recommended Honda dealer straight away.

How long have you owned the bike ?

When did it start making this noise ?

Have you maintained it yourself ?

Did you put in the wrong grade of oil ?

What does the chain feel like ?

Do not delay - damage to the transmission could result if you continue to ride the bike with this fault.

Guest dentonlad

That sounds like my ex failing to use the clutch in her car. Something amiss. Get it to a dealer to be looked as soon as possible. Even with 38,000 km it's not a problem that ought to be happening.

Haven't seen any similar reports of such noisy down changes. Most DCT faults seem to have been electrical in nature, yours sounds much more 'mechanical'.

Good luck with getting it sorted out.

kayz1

Could it be one of the clutch units not operating on the down shift!!

Mister Paul

Could it be one of the clutch units not operating on the down shift!!

I would guess that if it's on 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st then it can't be one of the clutches, as they work on alternate gears don't they?

Guest phantom309

the only thing i noticed was you were also changing down by button. an i know that they don't like going down too low a gear when it thinks it should  be higher so it could be a result from that ?  just a guess in the dark ..maybe first owner used to abuse the engine an it's slightly out of sink in one of the actions ...DCT like to be left to it's own devices in my opinion , i ride in"D" mode an don't touch anything ..

the only thing i noticed was you were also changing down by button. an i know that they don't like going down too low a gear when it thinks it should  be higher so it could be a result from that ?  just a guess in the dark ..maybe first owner used to abuse the engine an it's slightly out of sink in one of the actions ...DCT like to be left to it's own devices in my opinion , i ride in"D" mode an don't touch anything ..

You can't force the box to shift into too low/high a gear. Even in full manual mode it stops you doing it if it considers it potentially damaging. Try it once :P you will be surprised. The DCT doesn't "like" be left to its own devices. If it did we would have no shift buttons at all. Most seem to use downshift for engine breaking. It works brilliantly without damaging anything. In S mode I can come to almost full stop with gears only at intersections, without holding up traffic behind me. It will also give your brake pads an easier life and make them last longer.

kayz1

I would guess that if it's on 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st then it can't be one of the clutches, as they work on alternate gears don't they?

Yes but both clutches have to operate in sync going up or down the box.

Guest Garazins

So i have watched more of the vidoes that i have and noticed that actually the bad sound is there no matter from which gear it shits down!

But that maybe a good thing as it could be that one of the reduction gears that has worn out or the spring that is located on gearshift spindle has broken?!

Grumpy old man

It sounds like some sort of solenoid problem, do DCT's have solenoids?

Wedgepilot

It sounds like some sort of solenoid problem, do DCT's have solenoids?

Yes, there are three solenoids just in front of your right foot (behind the plastic panel)

• 1 month later...
Guest Garazins

I replaced the following parts that had a notacible wear on them and the noise was gone!

24315-HA0-000

24322-MGE-D01

24328-MGS-D20

24329-KA3-740

I replaced the following parts that had a notacible wear on them and the noise was gone!

24315-HA0-000

24322-MGE-D01

24328-MGS-D20

24329-KA3-740

Is this a job you can do with the engine sitting in the frame, or does it have to be taken out?

Do you have some pics of the worn parts? Just curious about what happened.

Edited by MGR1
embee

Many thanks for the update Artis. It's always very useful to hear what the issues are. This area seems to have caused issues in a handful of DCT bikes, so something for us all to be aware of.

The parts can be seen here, they are mainly to do with the support of the selector drum and the selector pawl springs etc 

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-61100-61100-NC700XDC-2012-E_17_1-NC+700+X+ABS+DCT.html

Edited by embee