First wet ride - steam from centre of radiator?

JamesS

Hi all, really silly question I know, but I've just taken nc750x in rain for first time, and when I pulled up there was steam from the radiator and a wet patch running down the middle. Is this normal? ( water running down from steering yoke perhaps) or should I be worried?. No warning lights. Only just got bike (new) so don't know what to think.

Guest bonekicker

James that happened to me--all the water and much from road hit it--and the rad get's hot--dont worry its just needs the usual fender extender fitted--I checked my water level when I got home---after it cooled down and it was full--have you fitted a  radiator protector? it looks a expensive piece of kit if damaged.  :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yep, just checked rad and its still full. Looks like Ill get a Fenderextender next.

• Like 1

i think rain water gets through the radiator and collects on the engine as well, when i wash mine i  flush the radiator fins with a hose pipe from the rear first then from the front, the next morning when i take it off the centre stand and put it on the side stand it looks like the radiator has burst there is so much water running on the floor lol.

al

The rad fins collect and hold a lot of water. When I wash mine I  gave the rad a good soaking to wash out any crud that collects there, (not to bad now I have the rad guard on and fender extender) .    After washing I use a powerful air dryer on the bike and the amount of water that was blown out of the rad fins shocked me when I first used the dryer.  

Edited by noj
Griff

Yes, the rad does hold water. I found out the hard way when I went seeking a rad leak when the bike was new. I used to see what I thought was dried coolant down the left side of the motor. Couldn't find the leak anywhere. I eventually found that the rad was holding water after washing and as soon as the bike was up to speed it used to blow out the back of the rad and on to the motor. It looked for all the world like dried coolant.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
F.Honda750xd

Wow this has just answered my same problem of steaming when I stopped. It's my first time in the rain and was looking at a dealer return. I will check the levels and then buy a Fender extender and rad gard. Cheers

Edited by F.Honda750xd
Guest sykospain

Like a centre stand, essential add-ons for the NC range of bikes are a Fenda Xtenda bolted / glued onto the end of the paltry front 'mudguard' ...

...plus a stainless-steel or ally punched-plate cover to protect the radiator from flying stones, etc.

A new rad replacement cost from Honda is about 400 snoojits; do the math.

Fender extender won't stop the steamng. My bike has a fender extender fitted. I still get a mobile sauna. It is ether water collecting when the bike is stood in a rain shower , just been washed, or road spray thrown at it when passing heavy lorries. It steams up the inside of the Honda screen as it funnels up the hole for the forks in the body work and at traffic lights car drivers give you funny looks. You will also get a hot rubbery smell this is said to be funk off the road cooking. But I think it is the nitrile in the top and bottom hose getting hot as the coolant runs through and with age /mileage the smell decreases. 

The fender extender does stop crud being thrown at the bike and protects the Cat and cover to some degree.