complete dct failure today

Guest g3ges3

Guest g3ges3

sitting at lights on a41 in neutral went to engage gear nothing,,,

shes only 8 months old with 3.8k on clock

Honda assistance took 5 hours to get her and took her to arnos grove 1st line honda

i cant find anything else like it on the forum loved the dct until now great for commuting

i need my faith restoring and a lay down in a darkened room!!

MikeBike

From the sound of it you don't actually know it was a "complete DCT failure" (as you say in the title) which implies some sort of system failure ?

Maybe just a faulty sensor (like side stand sensor) or other component with the DCT 'correctly' according to info given to it preventing engaging gear.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 2

I'm in agreement with Mike. Side stand switch would be my guess too. If the switch fails then the ECU thinks the stand is down and will not allow a gear to be selected.

GunnerNC

A failure doesn't get much more complete than when you're sitting at the lights, engine running but going nowhere. :blink:

Hope the fix is something fairly simple like had been suggested, sounds like it could be.

There is not much worse than standing around waiting around for a breakdown truck. :drool:

• Like 1
Tonyj

fwiw I've done over 40k on x2 dct equipped bikes.commute one and have had no issues at all , so hope you get fixed quickly , bet as marry would say its a connecter of sorts sending mixed signals

Guest g3ges3

to me its a complete failure if it was a horse id have shot the f,,,,r

thanks gunner you said it all for me,,,i hope it is a sensor or switch somewhere,,had a good fiddle with sidestand during the wait

will keep you all posted 

as for me ive still got the right hump

Had exact same problem once only. It was the side stand switch. It will let you have the engine running but won't let you engage gear. I was going to bridge it out but it never happened again. Recovered from it by flicking the side stand up and down a few times.

Griff

It won't be the first time a side stand switch brought a bike to a halt and won't be the last. Since the safety folks started putting switches on sidestands it has been happening, and that is going back a long way.

• Like 1

It won't be the first time a side stand switch brought a bike to a halt and won't be the last. Since the safety folks started putting switches on sidestands it has been happening, and that is going back a long way.

By the same token, I can still recall times a few when the first left hander after setting off let me know that the stand was down, quite a slap out of the blue is used to be too, thankfully never fetched me off.

MikeBike

A failure doesn't get much more complete than when you're sitting at the lights, engine running but going nowhere. :blink:

to me its a complete failure if it was a horse id have shot the f,,,,r

I didn't say it wasn't a complete failure, I said it wasn't yet shown to be a "complete DCT failure".

The bike failed but we don't know that the DCT completely (and not just a component) failed.

bazza

Mine refused once to do anything - and I was going to call breakdown- but it was the sidestand switch and revived in time!

maybe we should carry a can of electrical squirt -but knowing me, it was short out something!

Derek_Mac
>snip<

i cant find anything else like it on the forum loved the dct until now great for commuting

i need my faith restoring and a lay down in a darkened room!!

There's a thread about DCT 'issues' which might be relevant to your problem.

It's (obviously) disappointing when a new(ish) vehicle breaks down. But take heart from the fact that it's a Honda. That means it's been designed and manufactured well and, generally speaking, will do the job at least as well as any other machine out there.

You may be interested to know that on the first day of the 'new' registration plate the last year I worked for my former employer we had over 600 breakdown calls for cars on the latest plate. Yep, 600 + new cars didn't survive their first 24 hours on the road without breakdown assistance.. To be fair, a good number of those calls could have been avoided if the selling dealer had taken the time to properly explain exactly how to use alarms/immobilisers etc. but six -bloody - hundred!

Nothing is perfect (although vehicles are 'light years' ahead of where they were when I joined the motor trade) but huge strides have been made in dependability in the last few years.

The 'Golden Age' of motoring/motorcycling is long gone. But the 'Golden Age' of motors/motorcycles is right here, right now. Celebrate it!

Edited by Tex
Guest sykospain

Agree with the side-stand estimate of the problem.  I had a few of those holdups on Beemers that I previously rode;  sidestand folded up correctly against its rubber stop, but impossible to engage a gear because a wire inside the encapsulated rotary switch had gone iffy.  Therefore no forward progress.  Very irritating.  I still have a couple of BMW sidestand switch spare parts in my jumble box.

Andy m

What happens if you bypass the side stand switch (except the obvious risk of embarrassment?) It was a regular modification on any bike I was going to take out of the country, on sand/mud etc. because the switches are usually rubbish. I can't think the DCT function is that different if used carefully?

Before I had a clearout I could have built a new BMW from the leftover bits, it would have been a RFK875GSR Roaduro warranty parts special. They all do that SSSsssir.

Andy

Can I ask why you bothered to put the bike in Neutral when sitting at lights, I use my Integra daily to commute into London and it goes into gear when I leave the house in the morning and stays in gear until I get to work (or the filling station once a week).  The only time I have put the bike in neutral was when the bike seemed to be revving as if the choke was stuck on, it then would not go into gear again until I had turned off the bike and left it for a few minutes (after pushing it to the side of the busy A127).

aquaboy

I agree with Mike here, it didn't  engage 1" when you selected D.  Hardly a complete failure.   Must be one of 3 things. Could  be as simple as the selection switch not telling the ecu you wanted to go.

2,  The ecu prevented the gear engaging because another input was showing in the wrong state,

3   The control side was working correctly and the gear selection solenoid failed and/or didn't push the fork/gear dogs in.

Guest g3ges3

i now have her back in her room,,and working dealer says no fault shows on diagnostics

wich leaves me a bit dubious to be honest,,have bought new filters and will drop oil out wonder if the 8k interval to far apart that oil does a lot of work??

STEVE A engaging n at lights q good practice hope some **** on phone doesnt rear end you at lights and off you go into the car bike in front??

Andy m

Fits the sidestand switch theory IMHO. ECU thinks you kicked the stand down, so function not fault as far as it knows. You'd find it with a multimeter and jiggling not the OBD reader.

Andy

Edited by Andy m

i now have her back in her room,,and working dealer says no fault shows on diagnostics

wich leaves me a bit dubious to be honest,,have bought new filters and will drop oil out wonder if the 8k interval to far apart that oil does a lot of work??

STEVE A engaging n at lights q good practice hope some **** on phone doesnt rear end you at lights and off you go into the car bike in front??

If I get rear ended I would think that the 1 ton car or 2 ton van would propel me into the car or whatever is in front of me, my right wrist twisting the throttle a different direction would be a very unlikely scenario but if you are happy then keep it up! 

Huskyteer

Steve, I think this is a difference between those of us who've come to the DCT from scooters and those who've come from geared bikes. Until I found the debate on here, it wouldn't have occurred to me to engage neutral, but for those used to a manual it comes naturally. (I put the bike in gear when I start it, and straight into S mode, and there it stays.)

• Like 1

(I put the bike in gear when I start it, and straight into S mode, and there it stays.)

I have yet to test ride a DCT, but, until reading the above, was anticipating using neutral when stopped, for instance at the lights.  This is what I do in my car, which is an automatic.

What do other DCT users do?