What's it called?

ScaredyCat

ScaredyCat

The front plastic bit that covers the oil filter?

I had an unfortunate strike this morning, broke the nearside joint (black from grey) and appears to have taken a small chunk of metal from behind. 

bazza

Suggest it's called " that useless piece of grey plastic" -unless someone has actually found it does something, apart from trap dirt around the exhaust!

• Like 2
Slowboy

Could be time to spend out on a metal "under cowl" or bash plate.

• Like 1
kayz1

Cowl Centre ( lower ) 64500-mgs-d30zc

• Like 1
ScaredyCat

objey.png

Edited by ScaredyCat

Wow, too close to your left shin for comfort!

ScaredyCat

Wow, too close to your left shin for comfort!

Yeah, thankfully I wear Sidi Courier boots so if it had continued I'd hope they'd take the worst of it.

Ouch! £££££££

Found a one on the bay of e's for £20 ...

• Like 1
kayz1

the site i went to look at said $60 so a good price that.

you can bet the uk price will be £80 :cry:

Edited by kayz1
ScaredyCat

Kerb?

No, something fell off a lorry as I overtook it. Tried to avoid it but it followed me like an errant rugby ball.

• Like 2
Andy m

Duct tape?

Five or six rolls then a can of plasticote.

Andy

Tonyj

No, something fell off a lorry as I overtook it. Tried to avoid it but it followed me like an errant rugby ball.

Harsh ,but still your upright and can talk about it.

a friend of mine was riding around the north circular, near Brent Cross when what he describes as a bit of plank something like a chock of a crane , the bit that goes under the foot of the hydraulic leg , flew from the other side of the road hit him square in the visor and chin bar ,ripped the visor off busted his glasses and dented the tank. All he could do was pull to the side of the road to recover his senses and it was raining so he couldn't even see properly to carry on. He lived in tunbridge wells and he was on his way to work so he had to stew a bit at the office ,sellotape his bins and ride home a bit earlier with no visor . Unlucky and lucky in the same measure I feel.

• Like 1
Rocker66

I had a Christmas tree fly off an overloaded skip lorry and hit  my GPX600. When I reported it to the police they named the company before I told it to them.

Glad your OK Andy

• 5 months later...

Travelled up the A303 in the dark following a friend, his back light wobbled. I thought what has he just missed then my bike went bump, bump, stayed upright and carried on. Got to a cafe and went in for a tea and a warm up. Phew stinks in here lets go. So we carried on, we arrived at Swindon in the morning sun and pulled up in a car park. " Mac what's that on your trousers " looking down I was covered in stuff,fur and blood.

Looked at the front of my Bandit and stuck between the engine and exhaust down pipes was two little paws,loads of goo and fur. I had run over a decomposing Warrick Davis and cooked it on the down pipes. ( badger) luckily it was older road kill had it been fresh I could have gone down. Made my mate laugh like a drain.

suffolk58

I can add to the foreign body stories:

Many years ago, I was on the M62 on my faithful CX500 somewhere near Bradford, when a huge chunk of concrete fell off a concrete mixer lorry in front of me. The chunk shattered when it hit the road and I had to ride through a cloud of broken concrete chunks and pebbles. I now have some idea of what those brave bomber crews experienced from ack ack guns during the war.

PoppetM

Jeez now I am scared!

The most I hit on the Vespa was a squirrel (no idea how I managed it either, they usually dodge!).

But in the car, I was hit by plastic guttering that fell off a builders van, it sliced through my front bumper.

Makes me remember how vulnerable we all are out there. Ride safe!

When out on a breakdown driving a Mercedes g-wagon sort of land rover type with bull bars etc I hit a flying shed ! Honest - wrote the Mercedes off - and very nearly me insurance form was a bit tricky to fill in - one for jasper carrot

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 2
PoppetM

When out on a breakdown driving a Mercedes g-wagon sort of land rover type with bull bars etc I hit a flying shed ! Honest - wrote the Mercedes off - and very nearly me insurance form was a bit tricky to fill in - one for jasper carrot

****.....!

What hope have the rest us got if you can't take on a shed in a 4x4!

Liking the way I put a word, used in Irish swearing and it came up with asterisks..... Oh that made me laugh!

Guest amiga-mark

eeeeuw.

I was following a car and didn't see what was in the middle of the road but it went bump, squelch, slip.

I thought bag of chips or leaves or something.

Got to work and thought yuck there is leaves or a bag hanging off the bottom of me scooter - need to get rid of that later.

Going home I dropped on my knees and prepared to remove said debris, only to find half a tiddles...yuck.

Thankfully you did n't get hurt Andy, and the bike is still usable.

My two narrowest and unusual 'misses' was a falling wardrobe from a top floor window being 'craned' out on the Hotwells road in Bristol which slipped out of its sling and fell in the road just behind me. However the scariest was when on my Vincent Rapide I was following a flat bed truck in the dark along the A4 when I saw sparks, then lots of them all around me. I heard lots of noise and still couldn't make anything out as we passed into a lit part of the road. He had a load of reinforcing rods for concrete that were cascading off the back of his lorry and bouncing on the road - how I wasn't impaled I'll never know. anyway I swerved well out to the side, overtook and stopped him. I found a telephone box and the police were there pretty soon after. They closed the A4 while he had been flagging down traffic in the dark at considerable danger to himself. Somebody was looking after me that night!

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

In my book it's called a "Lower Cowl" but if you've found a suitable one on the auction site for a pony, great.

Otherwise, there are plastics reconditioners listed in the Paginas Amarillas who love a repair job like the one in your foto.  Then you can take the opportunity to re-paint it to match your bike nicely.  I think that grey colour is really boring.

Rev Ken mentioned his Rapide - when my old Dad was riding along in the Derbyshire Dales one summer afternoon, he managed to continue riding his Black Shadow whilst a wasp was busily dining on his chest flesh inside his shirt.  But only for about a hundred yards....at the tender age of seven I overheard some new words for the very first time.

Edited by sykospain
Andy m

Ah, but what universally useful and expressive, feel better words they are :)

Andy