False neutrals

philyerboots

philyerboots

I have a 2015 NC750X which I picked up new in January. I have a problem with false neutrals. Usually when changing down more than once with a single operation of the clutch, normally when I have to brake suddenly, due to someone not seeing the bright bike with the fat chap in a yellow and black jacket. After a couple of clicks down, it just locks and can only be release by releasing the clutch. I get a minus sign in the gear indicatior.

The bike had its first service in early Feb but I have no idea what g/box oil is in it.

Of the many bikes I have had over the years, this is the first time I have had this problem.

Any ideas out there?

Why don't you try blipping the throttle as you change the gear. A lot of people don't bother these days, but I still do. I think it gives a slightly smoother down change and helps the gears snick in better. Your bike won't like going down through the gears on one clutch pull - you are better off working your way down through the gears. (I know in an emergency you just do what needs to be done).

This is only my personal opinion mind, so doesn't account for very much. :D

Edited by wozza
  • Like 2
Slowboy

As above, great advice from wozza, the NC, along with most bikes, doesn't like coming down several gears when you just hold the clutch in.

• Like 1
trisaki

I'm an agent for activ8 oil add at I've, I know a lot don't agree with these things but I do , I've got some in all my bikes and cars and I can't say a bad thing about engines or gearboxes , my NC engine etc absolutely purr

trisaki

Also try adjusting the gear lever to fit your boot,make sure you have the correct amount of slack in the clutch lever , also on mine I took off the Allen bolt holding my gearlever on and smeared some grease in there , all helps , also chain slack !

philyerboots

Thanks for the responses. I will give the throttle blipping a try tonight, on the way home. The clutch cable is well adjusted and and the there is no excessive play in the drive chain, although, with the clutch pulled, would a slack chain have an affect on the gear change?

• Like 1

There is a knack to blipping the throttle (or rev matching) when you change down through the gears, but with a bit of practice you'll soon get the hang of it.

philyerboots

You know, this throttle blipping is not as easy as it sounds. Half the time I forget. I used to do this on a little 2 stroke, back in the seventies although that was an attempt to keep the little beast in the powerband. I will keep practising and let you know if it resolves my issue.

• Like 1
Defender

In my experience, it works better with some bikes than others, I don't have to on my NC'X with as the DCT takes care of it.

My MSX doesn't mind, you need to keep the revs and speed up on small bikes to maintain momentum, corner speed is everything!

Had a very similar issue, after engine oil change, all gone.