is there a front axle bolt remover in toolkit?

Mike5100

Mike5100

There doesn't seem to be in mine as supplied with the 2016 750X.  Anyone know what size Allen key is needed and I will order one?

Mike

Defender

Mike, it may be different on the 'New 750's, but when I wanted to removed the front wheel from my '700X last year to get new tyres fitted, it was about 17mm, which I didn't have so I bought a drain plug removal kit that had several sizes in it. I'm not at home so I can't check it right now.

Mike5100

Thanks guys

Mike

michael

In the unlikely event a BMW shop is closer to you than a Honda dealer….they will have one as well. 

(For an inexplicable reason, I kept mine from my BMW days and was delighted to find it could be re-purposed for the NC)

Mike5100

Thanks Andy - picked one of those up at Halfords this morning.  At first they were trying to tell me they didn;t have anything like it - we were looking in the tools section, but I insisted that you must be right and we found them in the motorcycle section in the end.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Baz47

I also looked at one of these spindle keys but wasn't sure which one was the 17MM.

The depth of the spindle socket is only 10mm so I don't see how any of the centre hex's  will fit.

Did it work?

fat al

hi baz, i got a sump plug removal tool from motosave it has only two sizes on it one of which is 17 mm, fits perfect.

al.

Guest phantom309

I also looked at one of these spindle keys but wasn't sure which one was the 17MM.

The depth of the spindle socket is only 10mm so I don't see how any of the centre hex's  will fit.

Did it work?

17 is the smallest one on the outside .the others are 19,22,24

Did it work?

IIRC they have a 1/2" drive on both ends too

Mike5100

Did it work?

Yes - it worked no problem.

Mike

sullspots

Yes - it worked no problem.

Mike

Mike,what size spanner did you use to turn it? I have cut an inch off the long side of a 17mm allen key but as there isn't a 17mm spanner in the Honda toolkit you would need to add that.Just looking to save a little space,it maybe more space efficient to carry the full 17mm allen key than the inch chunk and 17mm spanner in the toolbag.

Mike5100

Mike,what size spanner did you use to turn it? I have cut an inch off the long side of a 17mm allen key but as there isn't a 17mm spanner in the Honda toolkit you would need to add that.Just looking to save a little space,it maybe more space efficient to carry the full 17mm allen key than the inch chunk and 17mm spanner in the toolbag.

Can't remember.  I think I was probably using my torque spanner so would have just chosen a socket to suit.  (good point about needing to take a spanner to fit the tool in the toolkit - although I am going to practice with a puncture repair kit rather than consider taking the wheel out while on the road.

Mike

Andy m

Is the plan to carry the axle tool? If so I'm trying to work out why. For a puncture you concoct means to find the hole by pushing, lifting, hoiking roadside debris under the sump, (if posh) using a lift stick etc. and get a plug in. If its the sidewall or a bearing you are off for a ride on the lorry anyway because you won't leave the bike sans wheel in a layby for the local yoof or careless lorry drivers to knock over?

Allen bits to a 1/2 inch drive give access to the sort of leverage required if Honda San used an air gun to put the axle in.

If you will remove at the roadside as you would a tubed wheel, undo it at home before you travel. Copperslip and not using a 15-foot bar and three Gorillas makes the axle key usable.

Andy

Edited by Andy m