Water leak after wash?

justin8571

justin8571

Hello everyone,

I washed my 2015 NC750X tonight for the first time and it was on the centre stand.

When I started it up an hour later what appeared to be about a pint or so of water began to pour out from an area of water pipes under the radiator. I couldn't pinpoint a leak though.

There was no colour or smell to the water, so hopefully it wasn't from the cooling system but it was just weird that so much water began to leak out from somewhere just from starting the bike.

Has anyone had a similar experience after washing their bike? Just wondering if there's a known issue where water collects somewhere during a wash that's then expelled upon startup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Justin

Tex

Relax matey, it's just 'left over' washing water. I normally wash mine on the centre stand and then drop it onto the side stand to 'drain' all the nooks and crannies. Loads of bikes do something similar.

embee

You can often get a lot of water held in the radiator fins. A little vibration from starting it, plus maybe getting warm, will break the surface tension and it will run out.

• Like 2
justin8571

Thanks to you both for the reassurance. It was weird as I've never experienced that before with my past two bikes but clearly it's something you've come across yourselves.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Justin

• Like 1

Yip. been theer, done that. 

MikeBike

Relax matey, it's just 'left over' washing water. I normally wash mine on the centre stand and then drop it onto the side stand to 'drain' all the nooks and crannies. Loads of bikes do something similar.

+1

and I now also go for a short ride of a couple of miles to 'blow dry', spin water off wheels, evaporate off warm engine, based on another local NC owner's suggestion.

• Like 1
Tex

+1

and I now also go for a short ride of a couple of miles to 'blow dry', spin water off wheels, evaporate off warm engine, based on another local NC owner's suggestion.

But steer clear of muddy puddles otherwise you have to go home and wash the bike.. :drool:

• Like 1
DaveM59

Only worry if the water is green, blue or red!

suffolk58

I do know of a couple of mates who use a leaf blower to "blow dry" the bike after washing.

Griff

This rad seems to hold on to water more than most. I now use a sponge to soak any residual water on the left side of the rad after leaving it on the sidestand for a while.

justin8571

Thank you all for your advice. I'll bear that in mind on its next wash. Think I'd get a kick in the wotsits if I borrowed her hairdryer for that so I'll probably just take it up the road for a quick spin.

Thanks

Justin