MOT and Ixil exhaust

nelmo

nelmo

I know quite a few on here have an Ixil exhaust like me - has anyone gone through an MOT with it fitted? Did it cause any problems?

DaveM59

Not got one but as long as it is E marked and doesn't exceed noise levels it shouldn't be an issue. Non E marked will fail, or should fail.

nelmo

It's road legal so sound not an issue but thinking about emissions...

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

I know quite a few on here have an Ixil exhaust like me - has anyone gone through an MOT with it fitted? Did it cause any problems?

Hi Neil,

Mine passed, no worries. Not sure that the emissions are tested on bikes?

Rev Ken

It's road legal so sound not an issue but thinking about emissions...

Emissions aren't checked. (But one day I'm sure they will be, and it will cost you more as the equipment isn't cheap and it takes extra time.) 

• Like 1
Andy m

Its like the rest of the MOT, if the mechanic got his leg over you pass. If he has just had a box of horns and light bulbs delivered yours will be strident and blown. If he doesn't understand the dashboard and the ABS light is on it'll be rule 101 " if its fitted its gotta work mate" and section 102 "I ain't riding it up the road, its just failed the MOT". If the exhaust is deemed loud because he had fifteen pints last night it'll fail. You then either park the bike up for 10 to 15 working days while your appeal is procesed or pop the Honda one back on.

There is no emissions test for bikes. If it's E marked and loud the MOT station should pass it but report you to the police, who'll send a traffic officer ( anyone remember them?) With a meter.

I'd chance it.

Andy

nelmo

Really, didn't realise that. Never watched the guy do an MOT before, just assumed they did. Cool, thanks all..

Rev Ken

Really, didn't realise that. Never watched the guy do an MOT before, just assumed they did. Cool, thanks all..

You can watch the MOT tester testing your bike. Every MOT station (cars, bikes etc) has to have a 'safe viewing area', so that owners can watch what is going on!

I watched my first MX5 being tested, and confessed my role in various aspects of the MOT test. I cheekily asked if I could get under my car (it was up on a lift) to look at its underbody corrosion. Although it passed, I sold it very shortly afterwards!

Edited by Rev Ken
trisaki

I'm an mot tester if an exhaust is e marked and has its baffle in place the most you can do is mark it as louder than original if no baffles where there should be then failed/ no emission checks on bikes

• Like 1
Rev Ken

I'm an mot tester if an exhaust is e marked and has its baffle in place the most you can do is mark it as louder than original if no baffles where there should be then failed/ no emission checks on bikes

You have far more to test than when I was in charge of MOT testing in VI! (We were still using winches to test brakes, Roller Brake Testers weren't available for two wheelers.) As you can imagine when I took our little DAF car in for test at my local garage, they spent a loooooong time making sure they tested it thoroughly as I could take away their authorisation if they misbehaved. It was an old DAF but it passed, and as I drove out of the garage over a small curb, the exhaust fell off........

The look of horror and fear that passed over their faces was a picture, but I couldn't help laughing, much to their relief. No doubt their testing accelerated its failure, but it was bound to happen speedometer and I got a good deal when getting them to fit a new exhaust.

baben

You have far more to test than when I was in charge of MOT testing in VI! (We were still using winches to test brakes, Roller Brake Testers weren't available for two wheelers.) As you can imagine when I took our little DAF car in for test at my local garage, they spent a loooooong time making sure they tested it thoroughly as I could take away their authorisation if they misbehaved. It was an old DAF but it passed, and as I drove out of the garage over a small curb, the exhaust fell off........

The look of horror and fear that passed over their faces was a picture, but I couldn't help laughing, much to their relief. No doubt their testing accelerated its failure, but it was bound to happen speedometer and I got a good deal when getting them to fit a new exhaust.

I met a chap back in the 70s who drove his little Daf all the way to Baghdad. At one point it shed a wheel but was otherwise immaculate. My first ever experience of a CVT drive.

• 2 months later...
larryblag

Emissions aren't checked. (But one day I'm sure they will be, and it will cost you more as the equipment isn't cheap and it takes extra time.)

And when they do we might get a far more appropriate road tax banding? Especially as the NC is so economical it should also be very "clean"?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

A couple of years ago we had the local DoT and traffic officers laying in wait in lay-bys and pulling bikes over to inspect the end can for " not for road use" or no EU numbers and if found the owner was given a nip of £30 and told to replace said end can as not compliant. At Mot time the bike was revved up and put on a decibel meter.

That all changed as you could get an alloy plate from that auction site stamped EU 12345678 and rivet it on the end can and before MOT pop on the standard huge factory silencer only to be removed afterwards. I think now it is up to the "testers discretion" if a can is deemed to be overly loud. I have a never used the standard end can given to me with the bike which came pre fitted with a Scorpion end can. It sounds fruity without being overly loud as it has baffel tubes in place. I have yet to try the original 2016 silencer.