left fork seal failing after 5500 miles

DB1965

DB1965

had to ring Dobles today the left fork leg seal is failing only very slight loss but been checking over the last week after riding, booked in for them to look at next week to inspect an report to Honda to see if they will replace under warranty as its a wear item nearly laughed in the service departments face fork seal has worn out because wear has caused failure after 5500 miles, i am sure they think we are all mindless idiots who have never held a spanner, :no:  i will report the outcome when i know it, if they won't cover it  will be taking it else were to do as not impressed with the attitude of their service department they should take a leaf from their sales side  :yes:

Guest mrgrumpy2

I'm going to replace the right fork seal as the fork is getting wet, my bike has done 13'500 miles

I bought a pair of oil seals and dust seals just in case the other one goes.

Guest phantom309

mine went 11,400 but it was stood for a while over the winter ..(and you should always change as a pair )

Guest Eddie19

The right hand fork seal on my October 2014 750X went at just over 2000 miles about 6 weeks ago. Fortunately, it's still under warranty so my dealer changed it (and the left hand one) free of charge. I also got a free brake pad change as fork oil had dripped over the pads. Whilst I really like my NC, it's been subject to more warranty work and recalls than any other bike I've owned:

Replacement instrument binnacle

Replacement solenoid

Replacement tyres

Broken frunk lock and bent key

Front fork seals

I think that's all. Honda need to up their game!

Guest SpinyBiker

I bought a second hand 2015 S, 3k miles on the clock and left fork dust cover was perished and had multiple cracks. Dealer had no choice than to replace given I just bought the blinking thing ;)

Guest jonthestrawb

Interesting reading, my front fork seal on my 700x went too just within warranty at around 11000 miles. Replaced free by dealer but seems the fork seals are a weak point on the bike. Bike goes on for its 1st mot this morning, fingers crossed no hidden problems now it's out of warranty.

Might just be that the seal needs cleaning and reseating. Fork seals often get a bit of grit stuck in them which causes a leak. Search for "seal mate" for a ready made tool or just cut up a plastic coke bottle to make your own. I've had a few "failed" seals on bikes and never actually needed to replace one.