Chains again, sorry.

daddydoug

daddydoug

I ride an NC750D Integra, year April 2014 on the road,  which is a dream. The 'bike, confused why it is called a scoot., is approaching 16,000 miles and has only visited the dealers for it's 600 mile service and product recalls.

I am retired and enjoy Scotland's open roads to the full. Todays 175 mile run returned 79.4 m.p.g. which speaks volumes for the way I ride. I held up no traffic and waved one other biker through. As an "Old Timer", hopefully speaking for many "Old Timers" that see the value in the N.C. range, servicing is an enigma to me. We kept 'bikes of all sizes going for ever from our driveways or sheds but now should hand over an air filter change to our local Honda dealer. Sorry for the waffle. Although my chain and sprockets show no sign of visible wear, because I oil it fastidiously, replacement day will come. Endless chains, riveted links, drop the swing arm all confuse an already confused 75 year old. This is a 'bike powered by half a Honda Jazz engine, so has anybody actually tried and had a problem with a good old spring link'ed chain. I truly feel that a non O ring chain, with spring link, removed, cleaned and oiled during a most satisfactory Saturday afternoon, would do the business. 

Please show me the error of my thinking.

Douglas.

• Like 1
fj_stuart

Douglas here's my thoughts on the matter. There are two problems with non-O ring split link chains. They wear like crazy in bad weather. I used many on my commuting bike - a Honda CBF250. In winter they needed adjustment weekly and replacement after a few thousand miles and that was with constant lubrication. Also what stopped me using them was a split link failing. Luckily causing no damage or locking up the bike. The Honda puts out 22 bhp so it's not a matter of power. I now use O (or X) ring chains. These come with a rivet link and I make the chain endless off the bike (using a hammer & anvil) This requires removal of the swing arm but by the time a chain is worn the bearings in the arm & linkages could do with grease anyway. Otherwise you could use a chain breaker/riveter.  

Tex

I agree with Stuart. Wholeheartedly. Non 'O' (or 'X') ring chains are best left in the history books and on classic bikes used gently on sunny days only.

Donald, you're obviously looking after your original chain very well and with such good care it may well last the same distance again. Replacing it is not unduly difficult and there's loads of help available to you here on the forum. Good luck! Carry on enjoying the Integra, a woefully underrated machine.

daddydoug

Hi Stuart from Glasgow, we should meet up sometimes. Your points are valid and I should have said that I go to Spain during Scotland's winter and leave the 'bike in a heated garage, also, I am a fair weather rider. I will await other replies and fully consider the pros and cons but hammer and anvil, chain breaker / riveter ? What failed with the split link. Tell me at the Carbeth Arms. 

Thanks,

Douglas

fj_stuart

The riding season it certainly with us - Spanish weather here today!

As for the split link - I don't know exactly what went wrong. There was a bang and it was gone - I don't think I found any of it.

trisaki

Don't forget also at 16000 you have valve clearances to check and coolant to change as you have to move the radiator

steelhorseuk

A mate of mine has a Triumph Tiger 955i 2006 which he bought used for about £3500.  He never lubes the chain or adjusts it, ever in the last two years!

In the last two years we have been riding together which includes across Spain I have had a new DID VX2, lovingly lubricated every 200 miles, adjusted it several times, checked alignment regularly and it has just developed tight spots and is going to need replacing next month along with the sprockets (total mileage on this chain is under 6k). 

Why -o- why? I checked his Triumph in disbelief, not a tight spot, no rust and adjustment was more or less still spot on (according to the manual which I looked up online)

And, no, it does not have an autolube installed either!

I bloody hate him and his bike. :drool:

-Mark-

Edited by Smudger
  • Like 1
Huskyteer

Are you sure he's not lying to you and secretly lubing the chain whenever your back's turned?

• Like 1
rjp996

My original OEM chain on the NC750 I did no cleaning or oiling at all (partly to see what happened)  - after 7500 miles it had a lot of tight spots and was shot.

Put an endless DID VX2 chain on and clean and loob every 2 week (1,000 miles), and after 16,000 miles the chain is just starting to get 2 tight links.

I don't know how hard it is to change the chain on the Integra, but putting an endless chain on the NC750x was a relatively simple task and I would do again.

Guest aknowler

Hello Douglas, there were a couple or more postings about using O ring chains WITH spring split links on NC,s. None of them had any problems with this set up. This was a while back and I cannot remember who they were. A search should turn them up. I believe you can get these items from people like W..moto and other suppliers. I myself had split link chains for over 30 years with no failures. My last 3 bikes before my NC700 were shafties. (I am in my 52nd year of motorcyling!)

Ride safe,

Alan.

fj_stuart

Hello Douglas, there were a couple or more postings about using O ring chains WITH spring split links on NC,s. None of them had any problems with this set up. This was a while back and I cannot remember who they were. A search should turn them up. I believe you can get these items from people like W..moto and other suppliers. I myself had split link chains for over 30 years with no failures. My last 3 bikes before my NC700 were shafties. (I am in my 52nd year of motorcyling!)

Ride safe,

Alan.

This reminded me that the last chain I bought for my CBF250, an RK 520 SO O - ring chain came with both a rivet link & spring link

Andy m

Slack is better than tight. The fiddlers and faffers will get shorter chain life than the slackers.

I would say a Vincent or Goldstar had about the same power and more vibration than an NC? Our greatly improved metalurgy accounts for the improved service life without boiling in whale fat every 97 furlongs, but doesn't explain why split links made of said improved materials will now break and de-man you. Possibly the dealer owning a rivet tool does?

Andy

• Like 1
daddydoug

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Smudger, I feel your pain. Bearing in mind that chains do not stretch, the pins, protected by the O rings and grease, wear which gives the appearance of stretching, so my oiling routine should do little other than possibly prevent tight spots between the side plates and keep the chain rust free. Andy M's comment pretty well reflects my thinking. I will keep abreast of comments on this subject, but my CURRENT plan is that when the time comes I will buy an o ring chain with a split link, liberally grease the link pins, and ride off into the setting sun in blissful ignorance.

Thanks again to all,

Douglas.

• Like 1