Flashing gear indicator on my 2014 750 Integra.

daddydoug

daddydoug

I used to call my 'bike "Integrity" for obvious reasons, but now I am considering changing that to "Mona Lisa". We are approaching a faultless 16,000 miles, apart from the instrument panel change, and two weeks ago that big orange warning light came on telling me that my fuel injection system was unhappy about something. I was in the middle of Glasgow, tea time traffic , imagining that any second I would be forced into limp home mode or worse, but with no change to the feel of the 'bike we carried on and the light went out after about ten minutes, never to reappear. It goes in next week for the possible starter relay problem inspection so Supermechanic will be asked to consider what happened. Yesterday, Sunday's run in the sun, 90 miles on the clock, 75 to go when the gear indicator started flashing. I tried Auto, Manual, drive and sports mode but it just kept flashing, showing the correct gear, but flashing. The last thing that I was going to do was stop in the middle of nowhere, to find that the 'bike wouldn't start or change gear afterwards, so continued on home to arrive with a tender bottom. Switched off, switched back on, no flashing light. So why Mona Lisa? This beautiful piece of machinery obviously has an enigmatic nature, just to keep us guessing, particularly Supermechanic I fear. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Cheers,

Douglas  

• Like 2
DaveM59

That's odd, flashing the gear number is not in the book. A fault should display a dash in the gear indicator that flashes not the correct gear number. Have your mechanic check the regulator output as sometimes a failed regulator pushing more volts to the battery than normal can cause odd occurrences in digital sensor driven systems.

Any stored error codes can be read using the display if you short the terminals in the socket next to the battery, but as the actual fault display was not normal it probably hasn't stored a fault code.

The previous ECU warning lamp is often an indicator of incorrect voltages in the system caused by a dying regulator.

• Like 1
bazza

mine had a new speedo head when funny flashing things happened! under warranty

embee

Always check the most simple thing first. Are the battery terminals tight?

I've said it plenty of times, but the principle still stands, the most common cause of intermittent or odd faults with modern machinery is electrical connections. As Dave says, if a modern electronic system sees unexpected voltages or spikes it will do some sort of error message usually. It may "fix" itself if it's a dodgy connection which gets moved slightly with normal road use, but it's always a good idea to go round as many connectors as you can get to and disconnect/reconnect them.

Then pull each fuse in turn, make sure each blade is clean, lube with Vaseline, ACF50 or dielectric greases etc, and refit.

My favourite is the common earthing point at the front left side of the rider's seat. There are a whole host of wires going to that point. I'd suggest undoing it, clean/lube, and refit firmly. The other one is the kill switch.

I'd always recommend disconnecting the battery earth before doing any intervention on the electrical system, just to be safe.

• Like 2
mcress

In over 2.5 years and 32,000 miles on my 750X DCT I've had the Check Engine light come on twice. Oddly it was in the same petrol station that I have only used a few times and over a year apart - coincidence or is there something weird about that garage? Both times it came on after starting the engine and pulling away from the (same) pump. Power off and on cleared on both occasions........

Any theories welcome!

Cheers,

Mike.

Tonyj

My dct x has done this a couple of times .

kayz1

In over 2.5 years and 32,000 miles on my 750X DCT I've had the Check Engine light come on twice. Oddly it was in the same petrol station that I have only used a few times and over a year apart - coincidence or is there something weird about that garage? Both times it came on after starting the engine and pulling away from the (same) pump. Power off and on cleared on both occasions........

Any theories welcome!

Cheers,

Mike.

That is NOT daft:::  When i was into MWB r1200GS's   a lot of people complained of bikes not starting after a trip to get petrol..  A number of the large petrol company's now have Mobile phone kit stashed in the big forecourt neon signs..if the bikes were rolled out of the garage 50mts they would start..happened to me twice it was the mobile signal swamping the bikes antenna in the ignition switch, mine would also flash odd times random things on the dash until well away from said garage.

Lyn.

• Like 2
Tonyj

On my scooter it seemed a radio signal blocked the alarm or ignition

The shell garage in crystal palace done this to me twice. It's right under the mast, may be a coincidence but when I pushed it around the corner it would start . Datatool alarm?

First time I was worried and daren't turn the bike off. 2nd time I was aware of the possible issue and took measures.this was on a silver wing though not the nc.

But on the NC the engine sign came on twice

My engine light was different though, this happened once from a restart in a garage and then some time after from a stop outside my office. Both on different days .

Stopped both times turned it off waited about twenty seconds and restarted as normal ,no issues all was good . So I've just ignored it ,if it had a radio I would turn it up :0)

Edited by Tonyj
Huskyteer

The shell garage in crystal palace done this to me twice.

Good to know - that's my local (though I usually go to BP for the Nectar points).

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

Any theories welcome!

Cheers,

Mike.

The radio mast up at Holme Moss has a similar effect. I've been up there a few times and seen bikes having to be wheeled off down the hill because they won't start when their immobilisers stay on, 

Rocker66

The radio mast up at Holme Moss has a similar effect. I've been up there a few times and seen bikes having to be wheeled off down the hill because they won't start when their immobilisers stay on, 

Is that the one just above Holmfirth where we stopped to take pictures and my mates bike wouldn't restart?

Guest dentonlad

Is that the one just above Holmfirth where we stopped to take pictures and my mates bike wouldn't restart?

That's the one.....

DaveM59

Carry a square of tin foil and shade the ignition switch if it's a problem. I'd rather mess like that than push the bloody thing away from the signal.

daddydoug

The end game, hopefully.

This morning I took the Integra in for it's starter relay recall check and to have the diagnostics interrogated ref. the spurious lights on the dash. Devine's had the 'bike from 08:45 'till 10:30 during which time the relay was changed and nothing registered as a problem with the diagnostics. A little longer wait than I would have hoped, but the staff were fine, the showroom comfortable and the final comment from the mechanic, who shall remain nameless, " We are always getting false indications on the instrument panel", came as no surprise. The enigma continues. 

Thanks for all of your comments.

Douglas.