Total 1800 km: Oil leak?

Guest highcast

Guest highcast

Today, after 6 days in flu illness, I recovered that much I could think of getting a small ride. 

After opening the garage door, I noticed this (the can is there to give better dimension):

DSC_0127.JPG

Ok..not a big deal. I thought that was a leak from just installed Pro Oiler system that I could check later. Likely a leaking oil tube coupling. 

15 km of drive to the coffee shop, 1 hour of chatting with a friend and I found almost similar leak even the Pro Oiler was disconnected when I left from home. 

That's odd..then swiftly back to home. 

15 minutes next to my home stopped and again.. 

DSC_0123.jpg

So where does it leak from??? 

There is just this wet pipe head on sight underneath:

DSC_0124.jpg

This is the front pipe, there's a longer one a bit more to the rear that was dry. 

Then, I checked the oil. Notice that there's just about 800 km since the 1st service was done. The bike was on side stand. I opened the dipstick and dried it with paper and set it to it's place - no screwing tight, just dipped in and withdrew it. The stick does not even get wet. WTF...

Any ideas what's happening here?

2012 DCT. 

Will call the service company 1st thing at morning after my wakeup.. 

Edited by highcast
trisaki

Are you checking it on the side stand or upright , that pipe I think is an overflow , possible from the airbox , which would suggest oil in the airbox through overfilled , will check on mine tomorrow

• Like 1
Tex

Yes, you can't check the oil level on the side stand. Machine needs to be upright or you will get a false reading.

That does, indeed, appear to be a breather pipe and shouldn't leak if all is well. Consult your dealer.

• Like 1
Tonyj

Overfilled ? Or oil is getting pushed out the breather pipe , due to pressure? Blockage .

• Like 1
Guest machinman

If you've just fitted an oiler, the leak will be excess oil accumulated around the front sprocket area. You may need to check your settings.

Bike must be level to check oil level

Juggler

This is fuel overflow pipe. If the tank was full and there was high temperature differences it should leak and not blow your tank!

Guest highcast

This is fuel overflow pipe. If the tank was full and there was high temperature differences it should leak and not blow your tank!

No. The tank is almost empty and the fuel overflow pipe is the other one more on the rear. 

Ok, the shop answered to my callback request and I'll drop the bike to them while I'm going near them for a lunch. Lets see about the outcome. 

Guest highcast

Problem solved. Phew. Nothing serious..

The Pro Oiler's oil can was located so that every braking caused the oil to flush off from the can. This flowed onto the engine, and from there, if flowed to the floor - slowly. This caused the oil leak marks. All of that flow went under the panels so there was no clear sign of the spot where it came from. 

The service guy fixed this as his "human error", filled the oil can and again, we're all good.  :ahappy:

Guest technophebe

Wow, so your service guy fitted the oiler so that the can was spilling onto the engine every time you braked?  :cry:

That is... not ideal. At least you know your engine is well protected from damp, I guess?

Guest highcast

Wow, so your service guy fitted the oiler so that the can was spilling onto the engine every time you braked?  :cry:

That is... not ideal. At least you know your engine is well protected from damp, I guess?

The service shop fixed and cleaned all up so all is now settled. Now I just need to find time to get used with Pro Oiler and of it's features. 

DaveM59

I'd clean off the oil from that drain tube and make sure the proper cap is fitted, it's hard to see in the pic if the cap is on. The tube shouldn't be open to drain.