Stuck throttle

Guest Hants73

Guest Hants73

Good evening on my way to work today approaching a set of lights at 50mph I can see the lights change so I thought no problem start to brake that's when it all went scary. I thought am I stopping felt like no mater how hard I applied the brakes the bike wasn't going to stop. I then realised the throttle must be jammed manged to stop but now it won't go out of gear no neutral by the way it's a dct . Manged to get it into manual mode and slowly carried on to work just a couple of miles away . Had a look couldn't see nothing that stood out. Called out the aa who recovered it to my local dealer who I must say are brilliant and got the bike looked at straight away and offered me a bike to get me on my way but I was in no rush so waited . Turned out the Oxford heated grip had come unglued and Jammed the throttle by becoming unstuck and not twisting as it should . So the question is on a dct with a jammed throttle is there a safe way of stopping ?? Now with the other problems with the bike I have had I'm of the thinking time to change as it feels I'm just waiting for something else to go wrong

steve-a

Does it not have a kill switch, I would imagine that a good old yank on the brakes whilst hitting that would slow you down, other than that wear thick soled boots and hope for the best ;¬)

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

Kill switch would have been the best option - far preferable to careering through the red light.

Out of interest, how long have the grips been on?

Tonyj

You've got to remember it's a machine and they malfunction.kill switch to shut down but when your in a tight situation,it sometimes goes out of the window

Guest Hants73

Grips are a year old fitted by the dealer . And yes I thought about the kill switch after but at the time all logic went out of the Window

Tonyj

Wasn't getting all preachy , I remember once when a van began to slowly move across the lane onto me. I bloody pressed everything but the horn. It had me at the kerb when I remembered I was on a blackbird and twisted the throttle. Not sure who was more surprised when I popped out in front of him.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Nolan --yes a bit scary--but you coped well with the situation--- in life there is always --something else going to go wrong--but that why the --everything is going good --saying came about--some good days and some--not so good. :thumbsup:

Tex

As the old saying goes - "When you're up to your arse in crocodiles, it's hard to remember how to clean the swamp". As for the switchgear, I normally give inattentive drivers a good blast of the left indicator.. (sigh).

• Like 2

I have only had this once on a manual bike so I pulled the clutch in then the engine was bouncing off the limiter so whilst breaking I hit the kill switch which sorted the Engine. It is a horrible experience even in a car, the foot mate stuck the accelerator down so clutch to the rescue again. It pays to be able to react in an emergency and at least you have learned this without having an accident which is good. 

I have never tried but will the dct not go into neutral if you are moving?

Guest Hants73

That's my thoughts with the dct if I hit the kill switch while moving what would happen ?? As the bike is still in gear surely ?

Tonyj

No it will still roll along , never tried at speed but goes into neutral when the ignition is turned on from a dead stop using the kill switch.

If you kill the ignition then no spark no bang no forward motion, slow stop on the brakes

Rofbox

I have never tried but will the dct not go into neutral if you are moving?

No

• 1 month later...
larryblag

As the old saying goes - "When you're up to your arse in crocodiles, it's hard to remember how to clean the swamp". As for the switchgear, I normally give inattentive drivers a good blast of the left indicator.. (sigh).

Hehe, Simon I used to do that quite often on my 1150RT. It had a button on each bar for each indicator (brilliant), but just one cancel button (right bar,not so clever). In the same place on the left was the horn button. You can imagine the fun?