Front wheel removal ?

Edwin

I'm trying to remove my front wheel - is it a 17mm allen socket that I need to remove the axle please ?

I'm surprised there wasn't anything to help in the toolkit. 

Found it now - can't see how to delete this post.

Guest bonekicker

Why were you surprised there was not a 17mm allen key in the bikes tool kit--the kits are getting less and less each time a new model comes out--doe's that show Honda are totally confident that the bikes--wont brake down --or just being tight !!!!  :ermm:

trisaki

They don't even give you a C spanner to adjust the shock

Mike5100

They don't even give you a C spanner to adjust the shock

I think I used one that came with the 2016 bike to adjust the pre-load on the rear shock but it is now one of those with a stepped ramp and I guess a bit more adjustable than the previous ones.

Mike

Been trying to do it with a bolt with a 17mm head - is it right hand thread, the bolt at the end of the axle ?

Mike5100

Been trying to do it with a bolt with a 17mm head - is it right hand thread, the bolt at the end of the axle ?

It's normal thread if that is right handed

Mike

Ah cheers.    It seems to be crazy tight.  I'll give it another go in a little while.

I'm clearly missing something here......are there bolts in the ends of the legs as well ?  

I can see there are holes on the ends of the sliders. 

Mike5100

On the 2016 bike there is one pinch bolt on the nearside of the axle.  Can't remember what the earlier bikes had.

Mike

I've come to the conclusion that it's been done up with an air impact or a big breaker bar.

I've ordered a tool that hopefully I can get some leverage on.   Thanks for your help.

trisaki

The front spindle is one of the bits your dealer has to sort when the bike is taken out of the crate , front wheel , think its supposed to be 65nm ?

It's had tyres since then.  I will put it back together with a torque wrench as I don't want this again.  No need for it to be 50,000 FtLbs as it has a pinch bolt as well.

Guest bonekicker

It could have been put back on with a air wrench--65nm is not that tight-- the mechanics do get lazy and just rive it up with any tool that's at hand-- don't improvise too much--use the correct sockets--allen keys as much as possible--nothing looks worse than tatie bolt heads  :ermm:

Tex

It'll undo easy enough with the right tool. Those large 'internal hexagon' wheel spindles are turning up everywhere now. Draper (and others) do a 'multi tool' than can be used on various makes and models. Only about a tenner and money well spent, I've used mine on Honda, BMW, Ducati and Triumph so far. Treat yourself!

Good luck. :)

• Like 1

It'll undo easy enough with the right tool. Those large 'internal hexagon' wheel spindles are turning up everywhere now. Draper (and others) do a 'multi tool' than can be used on various makes and models. Only about a tenner and money well spent, I've used mine on Honda, BMW, Ducati and Triumph so far. Treat yourself!

Good luck. :)

Thanks.  I've ordered a square drive jobby made by Draper from amazon .....it was just over £5 delivered so I'll have another crack at it in a few days.   My breaker bar is at the ready!

• Like 1
Tex

Good man!

Guest sykospain

The axle hex-head socket bolt is actually 74 Newton-metres tight through the wheel centre boss - with a light smear of grease -

and into the fork leg on the RH side of the bike.  Make sure it's right - you don't want it spinning loose at 60mph now, do you ?

Honda%20NC750%20Front%20Axle_zpsj7q4iowa

Edited by sykospain

I will do it properly when I reassemble it - thanks for the info.

Guest outlaw

In the usa the tool kit contains a screw driver, and the helmet chain. they were shocked when I told them what our kit had.

Andy m

Leaves them space free for a six-shooter ☺

Andy