Oil warning light.... am I going mad?

Guest Hicksey

Guest Hicksey

Hi I am a newbie in everyway, so bare with me. I have had my first motorcycle for just over a month a new NC750X DCT I have covered 500 miles. Yesterday I noticed that when turning on the ignition and prior to engine start the oil warning light stays on, now am I going mad as I have not noticed that before??? I am sure? that the warning lights go out prior to engine start, just leaving the ABS amber light and the green Neutral light illuminated. Of course the first thing I checked was the oil level which is at the upper level. Can anyone confirm when the oil warning light should extinguish prior to, or on engine start up?

trisaki

Oil light will go out as soon as you fire the bike up , so don't worry

ScaredyCat

Yeah, it's normal. Dash lights up when you turn the key so you can check all the 'bulbs' are working properly. ABS light will probably stay on until you get over 6mph too

Guest Hicksey

Thanks gents, I knew the light went out on engine start up, I just could not remember seeing the oil light on prior, I had thought that the ignition start up process primed the oil system, and the light extinguished prior to engine fire up. But Ok I will stop worrying that I might have screwed up my new pride and joy.

Guest machinman

Oil lights are normally extinguished when the minimum oil pressure is achieved, typically on modern stuff it's immediately after starting.

Spindizzy

You should be more worried if the light isn't on before you start, that implies a fault that wouldn't display the oil pressure warning if you had a real oil pressure problem.

ABS light is the same. It only goes out when it receives rotational info i.e moving.

Guest sykospain

Kevin - welcome to the forum - why not post a picture of your new bike for us to see ?

If you are unsure about anything regarding the bike, this is the place to ask for info and then get some really expert advice.

Enjoy your rides.

AL

So yes Hicksey, it seems you are indeed 'going mad'! :D

• 6 years later...
ChrisCB
1 hour ago, Gnomi said:

Was there any finding?

Yes, paranoia.

• Haha 2
Scootabout

Resurrection of a thread after 6 years. Is this a record? 

• Haha 1
MatBin
On 07/04/2023 at 05:50, ted said:

One that slipped through!

Anything to do with the oil? 😁

• Haha 1