Rear Tyre Change

JONO49

My NC has covered 2,856 miles since the first week in April when I bought it, the Stock Dunlops are truly shagged, and 100+ miles in the rain on Sunday confirmed this and they were evil in the wet!

So on the rear went a Pirelli scorpion trail 2 this afternoon, I thought I would post a few pics of the operation.

The rear end exposed..post-3164-0-84156700-1465856337_thumb.jpg

The rear adjusters are a bit different to what I'm used to seeing and looks worth a few bob, so let's be careful with the adjuster thread!

post-3164-0-39174300-1465856450_thumb.jpg

As the bolt is spot welded in and I'm not sure if it can be replaced easily?

post-3164-0-59513700-1465856476_thumb.jpg

Now I had plans to show a few more pics right through chain adjustment etc but I reached the upload limit for the pics   :mad:

post-3164-0-73332200-1465856384_thumb.jpg

Here's my hand made wheel balancer made on a couple of night shifts in previous employment!

post-3164-0-45060300-1465856548_thumb.jpg

Edited by JONO49
  • Like 2
Guest bonekicker

John I am amazed you risked so many miles on those worn out tyres!!!  

And thanks for the pic's it's far better to show rather than try to explain--how doe's that home made balancer work--and how do you attach weights please? :blink:

bazza

for those of you interested in tyre balancing - you can get beads that you pour into a flat tyre through the filler valve- they centrifugally spread on moving and balance the wheel.About £20 for the both wheels - and not lumps of lead! Only problem is in a tubeless tyre you need to replace them when the tyres are taken off!

• Like 1
rjp996

interesting to see you balance the rear wheel with the socket & Crush drive - I was going to do mine this weekend.

Do you use any specific tools for wheel / chain alignment.

DaveM59

Do you ever oil the bearings on the balance rig or leave them dry? 

I give them a light spray of WD40 after each use then wipe them off before putting them away. If they are oiled they will have more resistance to spinning freely I suspect but at the same time corrosion and dirt need to be kept at bay.

Do you ever oil the bearings on the balance rig or leave them dry? 

I give them a light spray of WD40 after each use then wipe them off before putting them away. If they are oiled they will have more resistance to spinning freely I suspect but at the same time corrosion and dirt need to be kept at bay.

They're sealed bearings Dave so tend to leave them but spray ACF50 all over the shaft, cones etc!

interesting to see you balance the rear wheel with the socket & Crush drive - I was going to do mine this weekend.

Do you use any specific tools for wheel / chain alignment.

I ended up with 30mm of chain slack, and used the vernier to equalise the adjustment for wheel alignment and had a discrepancy of 1mm, which in the grand scheme of thing is negligible and I'm happy with! before I started adjustment I tapped the large washer/plate forward and nipped the axle nut a little bit and it all get's pulled together and gives a rough indication of adjustment!

post-3164-0-72597600-1465926676_thumb.jpg

post-3164-0-85807500-1465926596_thumb.jpg

post-3164-0-64692200-1465926615_thumb.jpg

Has anyone noticed the BMW part in the pics in the first post?

Steve Blackdog

Has anyone noticed the BMW part in the pics in the first post?

Go on, ya big tease!

By the way, how did you break the seal on the tyre rim? Did you take pics of the whole operation? I've just been quoted £30 to fit a pair and don't think I could do it for less by the time I've bought tyre levers, rim protectors etc.

The BM part is the first pic, if you look to the left there's a Paralever driveshaft carrier tube!

I used my local garage car tyre changer where I used to work and still have visiting rights....couldn't be arsed with levers etc. :mellow:

Edited by JONO49