Air Filter on Integra NC750D.

daddydoug

daddydoug

Hello again folks,

I think that I will get egg on my face with this one, but here goes. I want to clean my air filter. I have the plenum containing the filter in my hand, I am looking at four rubber pins securing a rectangular fine mesh metal cover over the filter, and for the life of me, I cannot figure how to get the mesh cover off of these pins without resorting to workshop drama. 

Help please,

Doug.

DaveM59

I can't envisage anything like that.

When I checked mine, I took off the cover panel below the handlebars, removed half a dozen self tapping screws, lifted off the top of the canister and lifted out the filter, there was no mesh or rubber pins.

To be pedantic you shouldn't blow out OEM sticky filters although if it has a cheap paper one or a 'K&N' then OK.

gallery_4483_108_27643.jpg

Edited by DaveM59
Guest sykospain

Doug - take a peek at the video second-one-down in a YouTube Search results-list for 'Replace Air Filter Honda NC'.

It's the HD-quality film, not the Jap vertically-shot Smartphone one, which is next to useless for seeing where things are.

It's the second one in the list, starting witht he guy using video tricks to make the two tools needed appear to flip up magically into his hands.

You obviously realise the film is not of an Integra, but when the guy eventually gets the "X" model filter housing out, he shows you the little plastic spring-lug located at each end of the filter housing.  Lever those back with a screwy and it comes apart, revealing the actual filter element.

Kushtie...

DaveM59

Wait a minute, looking at a pic of the air filter element I think Doug is trying to disassemble the actual filter element having removed it from the bike already, but you replace all of it complete with the rubber plate as a unit, it doesn't come apart any further.

daddydoug

Well done guys and thanks again. I went to  the golf course, got beaten up again and into the garage on my return. I then realised that the whole plastic assembly, including the filter had to be prised away from the air box. Well done DaveM59, but it seems like an expensive replacement part to me.

Cheers,

Doug.

DaveM59

Yes about £50 for a genuine Honda part but it does last 16,000 miles. A K&N type is about £60 but lasts forever, or a cheap paper replica is about £12 and will last a year or so. The choice is yours...

daddydoug

Hi Dave, I have done the 16000 mile filters and oil change, plus all the small stuff, but nothing in the way the 'bike rides indicates that I should change the air filter. I always get between 78 and 80 m.p.g. over a full tank. Since I now know how easy it is to remove the filter, no fool like an old fool, and the filter is barely dirty I will give it a reverse blow through and deliberate for another 1000 miles or so. The K&N job would well outlast my biking needs, so Honda will do.

cheers,

Doug

embee

No, air filters in the UK and most of Europe are usually good for 25k mls plus, air quality is generally pretty good these days unless you do off-roading etc.

I watch the auction site for genuine filters, picked up a Honda item for under£20 delivered, now sitting in the stores waiting the time.

No, air filters in the UK and most of Europe are usually good for 25k mls plus, air quality is generally pretty good these days unless you do off-roading etc.

I watch the auction site for genuine filters, picked up a Honda item for under£20 delivered, now sitting in the stores waiting the time.

embee

Sorry, mobile twitch there.

DaveM59

I checked mine when I bought the bike at 14,000 miles and it was just a bit dirty in a small patch that is just over the input nozzle. The rest looked fine. The indication is that most of the air flows through only part of the element so once that gets a big clogged, there is plenty of virtually unused filter left to go at so I doubt any form of noticeable restriction would occur until the whole element looks completely knackered.

The OEM filters are slightly sticky and Honda say you shouldn't blow them through as the dirt will not come off and you risk puncturing them. Best to tap them upturned to dislodge bits of leaf or such then leave them.

Cheap paper ones are probably best value for a short ownership. As long as one is fitted, what it is is probably not that important.