Parking Brake has become weak

MikeBike

MikeBike

I have noticed that the Parking brake on my DCT model has little holding power, and I compared it to a new demo model on the same slope, and the new bike held, mine did not.

I have to admit I haven't really looked at it yet, but I wonder is there an adjustment somewhere I can simply do myself to tighten it up?

Bike is 15 months old with about 10.5k miles

DaveM59

Yes you can adjust the action at the rear caliper by loosening the locking nut on the cable arm and turning the inner bolt by the flat on the end then re tightening the nut again.

Pads may be worn but really they should last a lifetime, probably the cable has stretched a bit. Before adjusting though check the pads for oil contamination, it could be chain oil or other contaminant has soaked the pads and unlike the normal brake pads won't get burned off in use. It's probably a very sensitive adjustment so go easy as you don't want it dragging.

• Like 5
Guest bonekicker

Mike yes check--adjust--see if the disc--is very shiny--get some wet & dry paper and scuff the surface a little--in circular patterns on both sides--let us know how you get on please--these little fixes can save us the time and expense of going to the garage--for them to do and charge for the job    :thumbsup:

DaveM59

One advantage of the Integra is it has a big hefty handbrake handle you can heave on. The other NC's have the stumpy little left bar thumb lever and this is not as robust by any means using plastic ratchet devices so accurate adjustment and good pads are probably more important, then you put it under less stress. I have only ever used mine once, a handbrake on my daily commute is a bit of an unnecessary gadget but it may be useful on odd occasions when out on a ride up hills somewhere.

Before adjusting anything clean the pads by rubbing them on a flat paving slab, check the disc is clean but it should be if the general rear brake is OK. Refit the handbrake calliper and with the lever fully released and the cable pulled through to the rear fully set the adjustment so the pads are just off the disc and then fit the arm and cable with locknut.

When adjusting, hold the inner nut still keeping the dimple lined up with one on the body and just rotate the inner shaft. Refit the arm again lining up the dimples, don't be tempted to fit the arm a spline further round as this will be too much.

The handbrake is only supposed to stop the bike from rolling on gentle slopes, not hold it on the slopes of the Matterhorn.

The proper way to adjust your handbrake is to loosen the locknut on the above mentioned bolt, pull the handbrake lever ONE notch, then adjust the bolt until the pad starts to scrape the brake disc (helps to have a centre stand for this so you can spin the rear wheel). At that point back up the bolt half a turn and lock it with the nut. Enjoy ;)

P.S. I had to adjust mine once so far in 23.000 Km, the cable does stretch a bit.

Edited by Hati
MikeBike

I found some other material online (from another nc forum) including an extract from the service manual which describes the procedure. Apparently there is adjustrment both ends, and the top adjustment by the handle is the normal one, with the (coarser) one at the brake end only if the top adjustment doesn't deal with it. there are marks on the handle and body which should be within the range when the brake bites.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

At first I too like Dave on the Fylde thought the h/brake on my new S-DCT was perhaps "an unnecessary gadget".  Until a coupla days later I parked the bike on a slight downslope in neutral and started to walk away.

My shinbone as I grabbed the bike in a panic, hearing it starting to roll gently off its sidestand and start to drop, only held from the tarmac by my leg, hurt for a full week.

Since then, whenever I leave the bike in public unattended, I always apply the "unnecessary gadget."

And yes the cable does stretch; that's why adjustment screwthreads are provided.

Edited by sykospain
  • 1 month later...
MikeBike

I've been away for a while so hadn't got to it until today.

The procedure from the service manual is to use the top adjustment under the rubber boot on the cable to get the  triangle on the parking brake handle lever to be between the two marks on the parking brake handle lever casing. If no more adjustment left this way, turn the adjuster all the way in and make the adjustment at the brake/wheel end. At the wheel end loosen the horizontal nut, wind the bolt with the rectangular end in until resistance is felt, back off 1/4 turn (not 1/2 as stated above) and then tighten the locknut to 17Nm (13lb ft).

Mine was adjusted all the way out so put it all the way in minus about 5mm, adjusted at the wheel and made final adjustment at the top to get the triangle within the marks on the hand lever.

I couldn't see the parking brake pad wear without disassembly so will have to have a further look at this.

Edited by MikeBike

I'm with Alan on the 'unnecessary gadget' thing. I'm not sure I used it at all for the first 12 months, but I use it all the time now. Mind you, as has already been stated, the Integra one is a much more 'solid and car like' device.

• Like 1
DaveM59

gallery_4483_108_12338.jpg

The Integra does have top adjustment too, enough to take out more slack that ever you would need if the pads were down to the backing.

I think I have used it twice so far with a 50:50 ratio of remembering to release it before riding off!

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 1
Wedgepilot

I use mine all the time as well, but then I live on a steep hill. I've noticed it not holding as well lately, so a very timely thread! :)

• Like 1
larryblag

I use mine quite a bit.

And for the first time at the weekend was still "using" it a few yards down the road.

I love this forum, you can be totally honest and know that no one will take the p***...

And the silence is deafening...

Guest dentonlad

I use mine quite a bit.

And for the first time at the weekend was still "using" it a few yards down the road.

I love this forum, you can be totally honest and know that no one will take the p***...

And the silence is deafening...

No, it's just we're afraid you may respond by posting another 737 pictures of diesel locomotives.........

TheEnglishman

I can honestly say I've never used the parking brake in 2 years and 30k. A more useless thing I can't imagine.

larryblag

Good point dentonlad, well made

I can honestly say I've never used the parking brake in 2 years and 30k. A more useless thing I can't imagine.

When I suspect the bike might move I put the bike into gear (manual) however on a DCT this cannot be down. This is when you should use the parking break like when leaving the bike on the ferry. Some people even use a tie wrap on the front brake which is the same as the hand break.

It's your pride a joy so nobody wants it to fall off the side stand?

Derek_Mac

Arr but, you live in the flat part of Engerland. :)

• Like 1
DaveM59

I always use the centre stand so with the rear wheel in the air the parking brake doesn't work. Only for short stops like petrol do I use the side stand and I think both times I used the parking brake was when stopped at lights on an uphill approach. Just meant I could let go the handlebars for a while.

When I had a Tmax, the brake lever was under the left grip so easily flipped on or off at the same time you applied throttle so launch off so I used it a lot. On the Integra it's down by your right knee so you cant release it as you open the throttle but have to do it first while holding the rear brake so a bit of a performance. On the S and X it's probably more Tmax like user friendly.

• Like 1
Derek_Mac

I don't think the handbrake on my X is very user friendly, I think the S has the same lever, you have to use two hands to release that handbrake lever.

This can make for 'interesting' hill starts, I tend to hold the bike on the bake brake if I'm stopped at traffic lights on a hill rather than go through all the faff of having to release the handbrake.

MikeBike

I don't think the handbrake on my X is very user friendly, I think the S has the same lever, you have to use two hands to release that handbrake lever.

This can make for 'interesting' hill starts, I tend to hold the bike on the bake brake if I'm stopped at traffic lights on a hill rather than go through all the faff of having to release the handbrake.

You shouldn't need two hands to release it. If so maybe it's adjusted too tight - with the rear wheel off the ground have a look where the bight point is with the triangle and limit marks on the lever.

I release it one handed, lifting the lever a little with the left hand fingers, pressing the side button with the thumb and then releasing the lever with the fingers.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 2
Derek_Mac

Cheers Mike, I'll give that a try.

Derek_Mac

Thanks for the advice Mike, worked a treat. :)

I must confess that it never even occured to me to release the handbrake soley with my left hand, strange and all as that may sound.. :hmm:

MikeBike

Thanks for the advice Mike, worked a treat. :)

I must confess that it never even occured to me to release the handbrake soley with my left hand, strange and all as that may sound.. :hmm:

Glad you mentioned it and its easy to get into habits without thinking about alternate ways. Thats whats great about this forum sharing tips etc.

I popped into the dealer and they said pads fine, so presumably just lots of cable stretch, unless it was at end of adjustment from new.

• 4 years later...
MikeBike

I found out when getting new tyres that the parking brake discs are completely worn. I noticed a few weeks ago that the brake had suddenly become weak and adjusted again. Yesterday when parking up for the tyres I found it weak yet again.

I don't think I've been riding with it on (apart from the occasional couple of metres realising it's still on) so wonder if it has been binding. New pads and a clean up /grease in order.

The Honda OEM pads are over £40, but there are EBC ones that fit. Part number is SFA257/2 and available for about £10-12 shipped.

• Thanks 1