chain tight spot

Guest kordun

Guest kordun

been told that my bike has tight spot on chain and that i need to change chain and sprockets

its only done 7200. Is that normal for this mileage?

Depends on how well you have looked after the chain, really. At such a low mileage I would check the sprockets very carefully, and be quite happy to re-use them if they're OK. The OE chain doesn't have the best reputation (although there are those who have got good life out of them) and requires diligent lubrication if it's to last.

Buy yourself a good quality replacement is my advice. And look after it well.

rjp996

My OEM chain went about the same distance. I changed for a DID VX2. I bought new sprockets but the ones on the bike were as good as unworn. I ends up putting new sprockets on just as I had them, but kept the old sprockets and re used next time I changed the chain

My vx2 chain later approx 18,500 miles being cleaned and oiled approx every 1,000 miles

Grumpy old man

My OE chain has just been changed at 8500, sprockets were as new. I cleaned and greased the chain after every ride ranging from 150-300 miles. With the new chain I also changed my maintenance regime to a Loobman. Let's see how this works?

Edited by Grumpy old man

Chains! We love 'em, don't we? And chain oilers? Well, this one ain't doing much. And mine never have either.

(photo courtesy - stolen from - Fenner).

20160618_131434.jpg

DaveM59

It does seem to be a common issue that the original fit chain is not as good as the replacements fitted both by owners and dealers. Original chains appear on average to not last 10,000 miles although there are a few that have, mine lasted 14,000 and was still OK but I had it changed as part of the 'deal' when I got the bike.

Replacement chains also seem to vary widely in their lifespan, some owners doing sod all to them and they last forever, others oiling religiously and still getting short shrift from them. It would seem chains like any sacrificial part vary more by owner, riding style, weather conditions, weight etc than by anything else.

This is the first bike I have had with a chain and my take on this is that being a brand new dealer fit and adjusted chain I am leaving it alone. I have done about 1000 miles since getting it and gave it a light squirt of oil, wiped over with a cloth and it will not be touched again for another 1000 miles. By oiled I mean a light drizzle applied to the top edge of the outer and inner links on the bottom run for one rotation each side, not down the centre of the rollers or on the top run as that doesn't lube anything, it just spins off.

Do it this way and you apply the oil to the place that needs it and also use centrifugal force to expel the oil outwards through between the links rather than thrown off the chain before it can seep into where it's needed. Time will tell if my method works or not.

Guest Krzysztof

My 2 OEM chains with Tutoro lasted about 22000 miles each. Tutoro from the beginning.

I think that OEM chain can last 30 000 with an oiler if lucky but that also depends what are your criteria of used chains.

Some change chains when a first tight spot appears and it may happen anytime. Others change chains when there is no adjustment left. Even then some take links of the chain and get up to 80 000 miles according to some London couriers.

Most dealers reccomend to change as early as possible.... obviously.

Defender

There's well over 11000 miles on my chain, I'm not sue if it's the original factoy fitted item as it could have be replaced under warranty before I got the bike, it was a dealers demo model.

Guest Krzysztof

Dealers employees get bonuses for up sales. 

They recommend to replace anything that is not like new.

Tight spots has almost any chain. Even manuals say to adjust the chain according to tight spot. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Broads01

The original chain on my 750x lasted a measly 9000 miles even with a Tutoro oiler. The replacement, I'm not sure the make but I know its an X ring, has lasted 25000 miles and is being replaced this Saturday (its been clanking around for son time). I phoned the dealer to check my options replacement and was disappointed with the vague response: "It's a Honda one" and "Most chains only last 10000 miles anyway" (to which I replied I've had chains on previous bikes lasting 30000 miles). Should I be concerned and what chain should I insist on?

Guest chickenflaps

Tutoro from new.  Now have 32k on original chain and sprockets.  Have only adjusted the chain 3 times, and  two of those were for puncture/wheel removal. Chain always nice and oily without dripping.

TheEnglishman

Tutoro from new. Now have 32k on original chain and sprockets. Have only adjusted the chain 3 times, and two of those were for puncture/wheel removal. Chain always nice and oily without dripping.

Yep - similar to what I do. I changed mine at 28k because it was lifting so far off the rear sprocket.

I have my chains on the loose side - I think, like valves, they're better loose than tight

Tex

The original chain on my 750x lasted a measly 9000 miles even with a Tutoro oiler. The replacement, I'm not sure the make but I know its an X ring, has lasted 25000 miles and is being replaced this Saturday (its been clanking around for son time). I phoned the dealer to check my options replacement and was disappointed with the vague response: "It's a Honda one" and "Most chains only last 10000 miles anyway" (to which I replied I've had chains on previous bikes lasting 30000 miles). Should I be concerned and what chain should I insist on?

Disappointing response from your dealer, Simon. Who were you speaking to? A salesman might just think 'a chain is a chain' but a parts guy, or service guy, I would expect to know the difference between 'cheap' and 'quality'.

In my mind, chains are like batteries - always pay the extra and buy a good one.

Neil, you're right, tight chains (and valves!) cause problems.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest FENNER

Chains! We love 'em, don't we? And chain oilers? Well, this one ain't doing much. And mine never have either.

(photo courtesy - stolen from - Fenner).

20160618_131434.jpg

To be fair this was taken after about 500 miles of riding in torrential rain during a 600 mile +  day on the way to Switzerland  :cry:  I regularly clean and re-lube mine manually, (and I did this before I set off to Switzerland believe it or not !), and use the oiler to keep some sort of oil on the chain when I'm covering some big miles. The one thing I will say about the  Tutoro is that you need to play with the settings to get it anywhere near right ! I don't think there are any negatives with using an oiler, but do think that they are not the be all and end all in prolonging chain life. Like I say I'm pretty anal regards looking after mine and it's still got a nasty tight spot at 12k and I'll need to replace it shortly.

Tony

That's the problem, Tony. In heavy rain the poor chain gets jet washed/grit blasted and no lubricant (or oiler) known to man can combat it. Basically, naked chains are not fit for purpose on anything other than race bikes. But we put up with it and the manufacturers just laugh all the way to the bank.