Neutral problems

Guest Rufio

Guest Rufio

Hi again,

My clutch won't always go into neutral. I try and gently flick upwards on my pedal but it then goes into 1st gear or 2nd.

When I turn the bike off the bike goes into neutral fine.

Is this normal and if not any ideas to fix it?

NC750x 14plate manual

Thanks

Rufio

Guest machinman

Common problem my friend. Warped clutch steels is usually the culprit. Neutral is often easier to find if you blip the throttle while downshifting or select neutral just before you come to a stand.

I managed to get mine done under warranty a while ago, don't be fobbed off by clutch free play, it makes no difference.

Tex

Interesting (to me, at least) part of that 50k km strip down video wasn't the lack of wear on the bores or crankshaft (I would hope not at that mileage) but the lack of wear on the clutch. If a bunch of journalists can't bugger a clutch in those miles I would expect it to be bulletproof in normal use. Is your machine still under warranty, Rufio? Might be worth asking your dealer..

• Like 1
deecat

On my previous NC750 x I had the steel clutch plates changed which worked for a while, but after about 1000 miles it started to do as your bike is doing again.

It also made changing gear hard.

It was not until Honda replaced the entire clutch that the bike seamed to work OK..

I had no such problem with the 700x which gave me 15,000 trouble free miles.

trisaki

How many miles have done on last oil change ?how much free play on clutch lever/ pop it up to Chichester and I will have a look at it in my wshop

Guest Rufio

Mileage on the bike is about 10800. Lasthe time it had an oil change is around January I believe.

I bought the bike from a Honda dealership. And the bike had about 8500miles on it. Both about 2 months ago would it be in warrenty?

That would be great Trisaki. I'm off on wednesday?

If the bike isn't under warrenty how much do you think it would cost to get sorted?

Thanks all?

Guest Rufio

So I've tried the little blip on the throttle when it wouldn't go into neutral today. And hey presto it worked!

I'll keep trying this method just in case it was just coincidence on that occasion.

Trisaki I may not need to pop over after all. I'll try this method for now to see if it works. Although it would be nice to meet a fellow biker from around this area too. Im new to biking and would like to learn a little more about the bike so I can practice working on changing oil, chain, brake fluid etc. Of which I've never done before.

I will keep you updated.

Rufio

Edited by Rufio
glencoeman

Make sure the rear chain is adjusted correctly as a slack chain can give similar symptons.

• Like 1
Guest Rufio

Make sure the rear chain is adjusted correctly as a slack chain can give similar symptons.

Is this hard to adjust or check? I'm going to have a search to see if it's easy to do.

trisaki

You can still pop it up to me to check it over for you

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 1
glencoeman

Is this hard to adjust or check? I'm going to have a search to see if it's easy to do.

You really need to know how to adjust your rear chain. Get someone to show you as it's quite important to have a correctly adjusted rear chain on any chain driven bike.

embee

Sounds like a trip over to Trisaki would be extremely useful for you, I'm sure you'll learn a lot in a short time of what to check and how to adjust things.

• Like 1
Guest Rufio

You can still pop it up to me to check it over for you

Hi Trisaki

I reckon it would be very beneficial for me to visit you sometime due my lack of knowledge, just to help me get started. Even with the oil as my bike sound a little louder, I'm sure that's normal though... I'm such a noob!

I won't be able to do tomorrow as I am viewing some properties which are spread out throughout the day.

I'm off next Thursday, if your free would it be ok to come over then?

Many thanks

Rufio

Edited by Rufio
trisaki

Yes that's fine will send my details in a pm to you give me a text the day before to confirm

• 2 weeks later...
larryblag

No haha... I take it is pretty hard to do.

No, not at all. Single plate dry clutch on both my 1150 and 1200RT was as easy as selecting neutral in a car for the same reason. With a wet, multiplate clutch the oil often causes drag. Interestingly the new LC 1200 has this arrangement and guess what? Yup, a bit more trouble finding neutral.

Now on the beamers, it was sometimes necessary to let the clutch out slightly to engage 1st...