Dry chain lube

Mike5100

Mike5100

I have been using Silkolene non-fling chain lubricant for the past 2 or 3 years, and I have come to the conclusion that it does.  (Fling I mean).  Part of the problem is that apparently the carrier does not evaporate for several hours so you can't really use it before a ride or on tour.  So I have been using dry chain lube for the past 1000 miles and the back end of the bike has remained absolutely spotless.  The picture here is taken yesterday 800 miles after I cleaned up just one segment of the rear sprocket which was caked in the non-fling crap from the previous 1500 miles on the bike.  In those 800 miles since cleaning that bit, the chain has received 2 doses of the dry chain lube (via a grease ninja).

I have decided that even if my chain does not last as long as if I used a fancy chain oiler or non-fling chain lubricant, then I'm prepared to trade that off for a back end of the bike that is as clean and easy to polish up as a belt drive bike.

And the carrier for the dry lube is gone in 10 to 15 minutes so you can use it before a ride or on tour.

Mike

27959818561_61fb9c3335_z.jpg

JONO49

IMHO people who use dry chain lube might as well sit down to piss!

• Like 1
Mike5100

Well that would certainly stop it going all over the floor

Mike

• Like 5
Spindizzy

Each to their own I guess. I have the Loobman and yes it can make a bit of a mess, but its only oil and wipes off easy. Also stops bits getting corroded. Its self cleaning.

The chain is lovely and clean with obvious oil around the O rings and the rollers are nicely wet with oil. Haven't had to adjust the chain at all. The only use for a chain spray I can think of is the outermost side plates as they don't get much in the way of oiling, the rivet heads can get a bit of corrosion but its minimal.

Ten second button press about every 100 miles

Grumpy old man

Each to their own I guess. I have the Loobman and yes it can make a bit of a mess, but its only oil and wipes off easy. Also stops bits getting corroded. Its self cleaning.

The chain is lovely and clean with obvious oil around the O rings and the rollers are nicely wet with oil. Haven't had to adjust the chain at all. The only use for a chain spray I can think of is the outermost side plates as they don't get much in the way of oiling, the rivet heads can get a bit of corrosion but its minimal.

Ten second button press about every 100 miles

How long does one full loobman last?

Cheers

Mike,

It's better to lube the chain after a ride, or end of a day touring.

The chain is hot, so the lube flows more easily to the parts it needs to be.

Also solves the issue if the carrier evaporation, as it's all gone by the time you ride again.

As for sitting down to piss...saves energy put to better use for riding.

• Like 3
Spindizzy

How long does one full loobman last?

Cheers

Longer than I can recall having to top it up. Uses so little.

I just swap between thin winter oil and regular engine oil in summer.

Guest Big Shot

I have always used dry chain lube... no issue at all on all of my bikes

saves a lot of time not having to clean it :D

Tex

What brand of dry lube are you using, Mike?

Mike5100

Wurth.  I would use the Dupont Teflon stuff but am totally confused about why they withdrew their best product then said we have to use their ChainSaver product which according to Webbike world doesn't even contain 'dry wax'  Anyway the Wurth stuff has PTFE which is what Teflon is.  I wish they did it in a tiny can to take on the bike though.

Mike

• Like 1

Wurth.  I would use the Dupont Teflon stuff but am totally confused about why they withdrew their best product then said we have to use their ChainSaver product which according to Webbike world doesn't even contain 'dry wax'  Anyway the Wurth stuff has PTFE which is what Teflon is.  I wish they did it in a tiny can to take on the bike though.

Mike

Wurth do a small 150ml can of their dry lub which fits in the frunk. I got one recently for my trip up north.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
larryblag

F800 has a belt drive, good half way compromise I'd say. Sadly that engine is also incredibly "vibey" I'm told.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree, Phillip, but with BMW there always seems to be a catch! In this case it's that they have tied the belt manufacturers into only selling the belt through BMW. For several hundred pounds! Add that to the YouTube videos of broken rear hubs on the F800 models and I've decided to 'pass'.

Don't think I'm 'against' BMW , by the way, I've had 8 or 9 of them over the years and the biggest failure I can recall was a headlight relay. But they were all the older models and I think as their prices have dropped closer to the competition their quality has reduced. Well, that's how I see it. I know you had the RT and can probably tell me different. :)

• Like 1
Mike5100

I'm inclined to agree, Phillip, but with BMW there always seems to be a catch! In this case it's that they have tied the belt manufacturers into only selling the belt through BMW. For several hundred pounds! Add that to the YouTube videos of broken rear hubs on the F800 models and I've decided to 'pass'.

Don't think I'm 'against' BMW , by the way, I've had 8 or 9 of them over the years and the biggest failure I can recall was a headlight relay. But they were all the older models and I think as their prices have dropped closer to the competition their quality has reduced. Well, that's how I see it. I know you had the RT and can probably tell me different. :)

.... and I don't know whether it's BMW or some of the Harleys but I heard that the swing arm has to come off to change the belt, and that's every 10k miles.  On a bike that is advertised as having some minor off-road capability like the NC there are going to be occasions when owners like me are tempted.  Am I right in thinking that just one stone jammed in the belt and it would be ruined?

Mike

• Like 1
ScaredyCat

I always lube AFTER the ride, not before. I get home, lube. Next morning carrier will have evaporated. unless you're riding non stop, there's no reason to lube then ride straight away. Lube while chain is warm from a ride.

• Like 3

.... and I don't know whether it's BMW or some of the Harleys but I heard that the swing arm has to come off to change the belt, and that's every 10k miles.  On a bike that is advertised as having some minor off-road capability like the NC there are going to be occasions when owners like me are tempted.  Am I right in thinking that just one stone jammed in the belt and it would be ruined?

Mike

Belt replacement intervals will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. Certainly the BMW 650 belt drive model need the swinging arm removed and the (suggested) interval was 12k miles - although my friend, Spencer, got 20k out of his before it broke and stranded him in Scotland. It was a stone chipping from a recently re-surfaced road that got between the belt and rear pulley that did the dirty deed.

An American friend, who lives miles up a gravel track, broke two or three belts on his Harley before converting it to chain drive.

Guest sykospain

Hence the term "Pinkelpause" used frequently on tour to various German concert halls in the distant past.

Bleats from members of the brass section, overloaded with excess litres of recently swallowed German EuroFizz:

"Please stop the coach, I'm brasting for a slash..."

Edited by sykospain
  • 2 weeks later...
PoppetM

I always lube AFTER the ride, not before. I get home, lube. Next morning carrier will have evaporated. unless you're riding non stop, there's no reason to lube then ride straight away. Lube while chain is warm from a ride.

Ok I am a newbie - how often am I supposed to lube the chain please?  Circa 50 mile round trip daily. And advice on what I should get and where from pretty please? 

Does your bike have a centre stand? If not, consider having one fitted. It makes chain maintenance sooo much easier.

It's easy to do. Buy a good 'non fling' chain lube (I use Putoline 'race formula' ) which will come in an aerosol can. After a ride lightly spray the chain before you put the bike away for the night. This time of year once a week will be fine. If you're riding in rain then every other day should do it.

You'll soon learn to see the difference between a dry chain (a very bad thing) and a properly lubricated one. You'll actually learn to 'feel' the difference too, as your experience increases.

Come along to our next meeting and we'll show you how to do it. Or pop down and see Mark (Trisaki) in his workshop and, I'm sure, he'll give you a good grounding of all the little jobs you need to do to keep the bike tip top. Bikes aren't like cars (hooray!) and need a lot more owner involvement to keep them sweet. A bit like ladies really.. :D

• Like 1
PoppetM

Can my husband be trained ?!   :ike:  Yep got a centre stand fitted as I am used to having one.

Excellent will go and find that aerosol, Thanks Tex that's really helpful to know when to do it as I haven't yet read the whole manual.  

I need to nip down and see Mark for a cuppa he promised. 

Yes! Husbands are perfect for this job. It's no harder than (say) cleaning the car, or mowing the lawn. There's lots of jobs husbands love to get involved with (after all, girls, you don't keep a dog and bark yourself, do you?) and chain lubricating is one of them. Husbands, like dogs, perform best when given little treats as rewards. If my wife wanted her bloody chain lubed there's only one reward that would do me..

• Like 1

Norty Simon ;)

This reminds my of my time as a DSA examiner.

We had to ask safety questions as part of the test.

One was "How would you check the oil"

The answer from quite a few girls/ladies was "I get my boyfriend/dad/husband to do it"

A perfectly acceptable answer, so no fault recorded.

• Like 2
Mike5100

Does your bike have a centre stand? If not, consider having one fitted. It makes chain maintenance sooo much easier.

It's easy to do. Buy a good 'non fling' chain lube (I use Putoline 'race formula' ) which will come in an aerosol can. After a ride lightly spray the chain before you put the bike away for the night. This time of year once a week will be fine. If you're riding in rain then every other day should do it.

You'll soon learn to see the difference between a dry chain (a very bad thing) and a properly lubricated one. You'll actually learn to 'feel' the difference too, as your experience increases.

Come along to our next meeting and we'll show you how to do it. Or pop down and see Mark (Trisaki) in his workshop and, I'm sure, he'll give you a good grounding of all the little jobs you need to do to keep the bike tip top. Bikes aren't like cars (hooray!) and need a lot more owner involvement to keep them sweet. A bit like ladies really.. :D

You might care to try the Wurth dry chain lube Poppet.  You can see from my picture in the first post in this thread how mucky the sprocket and everything nearby gets with normal non-fling chain lubricants.  I haven't tries the Putoline one that Tex uses but have tried two or 3 others.  So far the Wurth stuff has been magic and there is still not the slightest spot of oil on the sprocket or the centre stand or the wheel rim.  I am at 3000 miles now but of course the real test will come when the really bad weather comes.

Mike

• Like 1