Tubed tyres

ncmf

Not for an NC. This is for an xr125. How to get them on without puncturing the tube?

I have just put one on and it was very tight. I remember mx tyres being a lot looser but this one was a real pain. In the fight to get it on I punctured it. I knew i would have done it even before I tried to blow it up.

Is there a trick to it? Would inflating the tube a little help keep it away from the levers?

Starting with the tyre completely off the rim, put the tube into the tyre and inflate it until it 'fills' the space but is still 'soft'. Push the valve through the hole in the rim and then fit the first (easy) side of the tyre.

Turn the wheel over, use liquid soap (or proper tyre fitting stuff if available). Using your fingers only (no levers) fit the first part of the bead into the rim. Make sure the bead is pushed right into the well of the rim and, slowly, work your way round. You may need to use levers for the last couple of inches.

It's easy to do, hard to describe. Practice makes perfect.. :)

• Like 2

Thanks Tex. I'll have another go when the new tubes arrive.

Guest bonekicker

As Simon say's the Trick is to inflate the tube slightly and use washing up liquid--I did the same yesterday to grandkids push bikes--after fixing yet another few punctures--the inner tubes are looking like patchwork  quilts--there will be no room left for any more patches soon --and the tubes have tripled in weight  :ermm:

trisaki

If you use leversome make sure they are very smooth and the end nice and round

Tonyj

You tube is your best point of reference. I've found through experience the bead has to be in the well of the tyre or you really struggle pulling the tyre over the rim. Some air in the tube ,5psi plus minus and little bites as you go round . Don't put air in until tube is inside tyre on rim

Tonyj

Just read tex's advice , that's about it really

Edited by Tonyj
embee

I usually put the first side of the tyre onto the rim, then fit the tube into it. Sometimes it can be tricky to get the valve into the hole if the tyre beads are a bit stiff. Once inside the tyre, put just enough air in the tube to stop it folding and getting trapped between rim and bead. Then starting opposite the valve start fitting the second bead, working equally round each side ending up at the valve. The key is indeed getting the bead fully down into the well on the opposite side as you approach the last bit, too much air in the tube will stop you achieving this.

I'd definitely recommend getting proper tyre lube. I got some of this http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/mx-off-road/tubes-mousses/pro-clean-tyre-lube for the last tyres I fitted and have to say it is good stuff to work with, low friction and it dries off.

Edited by embee
Andy m

Washing up liquid contains salt so promotes corrosion. You want either tyre lube or a block of hand soap and a cheese grater if you are in a position to choose.

Helps if everything is warm too, so leave everything out in the sun while you set your stall out. A G clamp to hold the opposite side in the well can be useful.

Andy

Thanks chaps.

I got the front done yesterday after 2 more punctures!

I have done plenty of tubeless on the NC but these knoblies were really tight.

Needed help in the end. And a lot of care with the levers.

It's really hard to get the tyre in the well of the rim as these tyres are so stiff and the rims are quite flat anyway.

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Murray's described procedure is exactly what I was taught decades ago in a tire bay whilst doing vacation labouring in L.A. Never fails. And don't use Fairy Liquid - use the proper lube goo and carry it witya along with your repair kit if you ride on tubed tires.